radar99

F11 530d M Sport Touring purchase advice please

Hi all,

Noobie here. Great forum! After running an Audi A4 2.0 TDI Avant for 12 years from new, I've finally decided to take the plunge and upgrade to an F11 530d M Sport Touring :-)

I've read most of Cadwell Parker's recent potential purchase thread, which was very useful indeed.

I'm looking for what I would call a really nice car that I can run for 5 years or more, ideally no more than 5 years old and with less than 40k miles on it. Use will mostly be longer runs on motorways and A-roads, a mixture of business and family trips. 

It'd be nice to buy AUC although I must admit I'm tempted by the higher spec I could achieve by buying outside of the BMW dealer network. I'm expecting the car will be a big upgrade over what I'm currently driving, so at the moment I'm thinking that the only essential would be the pro-nav, although HK sound would be nice. Pan roof and VDC would also be nice, although I've read one or two stories about these going wrong on older cars, so perhaps best to avoid?

I've come across this one which is certainly the right kind of age and mileage and listed at £22,495 is just within the budget set by the boss ;-) ... https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201902014521738

It's on 19 inch runflats, which I see from elsewhere on this and other forums have a bit of a reputation for being harsh (without VDC or Adaptive Drive). However, if most of my driving is motorways and A-roads is this likely to be an issue for me? To date I've only driven cars on 18 inch runflats (std M Sport suspension), but of course would testdrive over a range of road types before purchasing.

The bigger issue for me is that this particular car was over 9k miles late for its initial service (at nearly 28k miles), despite it being covered by a 5-year / 50k mile service pack! I've seen the service record and as far as I can tell there's no mention of any additional maintenance being required as a result. I suppose the question is whether I should walk away now, or whether the initial service is so minor that this is not really an issue?? I'd appreciate your thoughts on this. At 31k miles the car is still covered by the service pack and would be covered by a 6-month warranty, but I don't want something like this to come back to haunt me in years to come!

I also note that the car has an outstanding recall, presumably the recent ERG recall. Should I be concerned about that?

Any comments or advice greatly appreciated!

I would double check that a car serviced late is still covered by the service pack. 

There may may be a wriggle get out clause if it's not been serviced when it should (first oil change due at 10,000 miles before it was changed). The newer cars have less than 5 years/50000 miles as their service pack so check that too. I would be surprised if a 15 plate stil had that level of cover and it hadn't been reduced to four years.

There are a huge number of BMWs out there waiting on the EGR recall.

The service packs are worth their weight in gold as a second hand purchase. I got £500+ worth of servicing done on mine courtesy of the first owners service pack.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

I would double check that a car serviced late is still covered by the service pack. 

Warranty would be affected and not the service pack

There may may be a wriggle get out clause if it's not been serviced when it should (first oil change due at 10,000 miles before it was changed).

First Oil change (BMW's official schedule) at 24000 miles or 2 years whichever is first. Always advisable to do an intermediate oil change though.

The newer cars have less than 5 years/50000 miles as their service pack so check that too. I would be surprised if a 15 plate stil had that level of cover and it hadn't been reduced to four years.

There are a huge number of BMWs out there waiting on the EGR recall.

The service packs are worth their weight in gold as a second hand purchase. I got £500+ worth of servicing done on mine courtesy of the first owners service pack.

At 5 years they were worth it but at 3 years for the later service packs you need to be doing high mileage for them to be of value. 

1 hour ago, radar99 said:

I've come across this one which is certainly the right kind of age and mileage and listed at £22,495 is just within the budget set by the boss ;-) ... https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201902014521738

It's on 19 inch runflats, which I see from elsewhere on this and other forums have a bit of a reputation for being harsh (without VDC or Adaptive Drive). However, if most of my driving is motorways and A-roads is this likely to be an issue for me? To date I've only driven cars on 18 inch runflats (std M Sport suspension), but of course would testdrive over a range of road types before purchasing.

I drove my F11 SE on Runflats for 7 years and was always happy with the drive, still firm but I loved that car. I haven't driven an MSport on 19s.

The bigger issue for me is that this particular car was over 9k miles late for its initial service (at nearly 28k miles), despite it being covered by a 5-year / 50k mile service pack!

Do you know what services have been done and what was done at each service? It is never a good thing to run cars, especially diesels with old oil. BMW's official stance is 24000 miles or 2 years which ever comes first for an oil change. On a diesel it is recommended to replace the oil at least once a year. Helps with turbo longevity and performance as well as keeping the engine internals sweet.

I've seen the service record and as far as I can tell there's no mention of any additional maintenance being required as a result. I suppose the question is whether I should walk away now, or whether the initial service is so minor that this is not really an issue?? I'd appreciate your thoughts on this. At 31k miles the car is still covered by the service pack and would be covered by a 6-month warranty, but I don't want something like this to come back to haunt me in years to come!

As above it is a difficult one to answer. The N57 engine is quite robust but oil cleanliness is a critical factor.

I also note that the car has an outstanding recall, presumably the recent ERG recall. Should I be concerned about that?

I wouldn't worry about it so long as it gets assessed by BMW. 

Not sure I would want to drop £22k or more on an F11 now to be honest. 

There are some G31 530d's out there for £27k, I know for a fact they can be had for £25500 with some haggling as I nearly went for one a few weeks back. 

A 530d F11 with 80-90k on it and 8-9 years old will be worth around £8-10k when you come to move it on, that is a loss of £12-15k if you pay £22950. 

I bet a 2017 G31 530d at 5 years old with sub 60k on it will be worth around £14k still, so again a loss of around £12-14k, but you will be in a newer car with everything that brings with it. 

I was going to finance the G31, through Lombard it worked out far cheaper than financing a 2016 530d at £18k, purely based on residuals. 

If a cash buyer then that changes things of course. 

if you're buying an F11 cash, or with finance, try and find one for £17-18k maybe? 

Also, some of the deals on new out there are very impressive. 

I was offered a new G31 M-Sport Touring 530d with £429 down, £429 over 47 months with an option to buy of £12k. I didn't want to tie myself up with finance and decided to buy cash, but in hindsight I should have grabbed that deal. 

I had an early F11 530d on 18" run flats and it was horrid, I got rid of them after 2 weeks. I have an SE on run flats on the 17's and it is fine, no issue at all. 

I have an E92 on 19" run flats, that is shocking!! 

Edited by gIzzE

4 hours ago, radar99 said:

After running an Audi A4 2.0 TDI Avant for 12 years from new, I've finally decided to take the plunge and upgrade to an F11 530d M Sport Touring :-)

I've read most of Cadwell Parker's recent potential purchase thread, which was very useful indeed.

Hey, glad to know the thread has been useful. I got some great comments on there and have found this forum a great place to be for help and advice. I actually arrived here in a similar position to you having spent a good few years driving a distant relative of your current car (Passat tdi). I eventually decided to go for the 14 plated car from the indy garage and was glad I did. I love the car and compared to my previous one it's like night and day. It's had a couple of minor issues but the dealer is going to fix those so I'm quite happy.

I've come across this one which is certainly the right kind of age and mileage

That looks nice and has a few toys as well but I would bear glzzEs G31 comment above in mind. It's around £6000 more than the car I just bought which is admittedly a year older with almost twice the miles and fewer options but for only a few £000 more you could be looking at something much more up to date. I've not driven a G31 and while the F11 is very nice the G31 must be sublime. I was at my limit on the car I bought but if you can run to the extra cost it might be worth considering.

It's on 19 inch runflats, which I see from elsewhere on this and other forums have a bit of a reputation for being harsh

The M-Sport car I drove on 19s wasn't as bas as I expected. I don't know if I'd have got used to the ride after a while or found it getting on my nerves. My guess is I'd have got used to it but comparing it to the VDC car on 18s it just didn't feel as refined or well controlled. I know there's the potential for greater expense and with 18s on the non VDC car might've felt almost as nice but I decided that was a chance I was willing to take for the difference in ride quality. I guess it depends what you're used to and what you want the car to do for you.

The bigger issue for me is that this particular car was over 9k miles late for its initial service

It does seem a little overdue yes. Matthew Ashtons comment clarifies the official mileage it's supposed to be changed at but from looking at the service record on Autotrader photo it was a year late as well. Not sure how the condition based servicing might affect this though. If the car had not been subjected to hard use maybe it thought the oil was ok and didn't need changing? I'm not a mechanic though, just thinking out loud.

I don't want something like this to come back to haunt me in years to come!

I can understand your concern. This is where buying privately has the advantage. Buying from a dealer you've no chance to weigh up the use the car may have been subjected to by its previous owner. If the car has not been driven hard enough to stress it it'd most likely be ok. These engines seem quite robust by all accounts but oil is critical to any diesel engine. Might be better to hold out for a different car with a better record and save yourself the worry. It's your call but I'd be happier buying a car with that record from a private seller who I could scrutinise as closely as the car.

ISTM that being so ‘couldn’t care less’ with the servicing might indicate a general ‘couldn’t care less’ attitude to the car in general. If you can hold off a little you might be better with a previous owner who looked after the car more. Give you the chance to consider a G31 ;) or maybe a few more extras. It’s funny how missing out on that one ‘essential’ option can niggle for ages! (Still niggling over the HUD I dont have :-( ).

Edited by Boba

That is an expensive F11. For reference, I bought my November 2014 530d with service pack in Jan 2018 for £23k with 37k miles in the same colour with more spec (VDC, Adaptive Cruise, Pano Roof, HUD, Comfort Access). One year on and I'd expect to be paying a fair amount less than £20k for my car.

Hi all,

Many thanks for your comments and feedback - lots to consider here!

On the particular car that I referenced, I'm inclined to agree with Boba...

1 hour ago, Boba said:

ISTM that being so ‘couldn’t care less’ with the servicing might indicate a general ‘couldn’t care less’ attitude to the car in general.

...so, given all of your comments about the importance of regular oil changes, I'll be passing on this car. I've only recently started the search in earnest and I want to make sure I pick a good 'un.

Very interesting to hear that a G31 might not be that much more expensive. 

15 hours ago, gIzzE said:

There are some G31 530d's out there for £27k, I know for a fact they can be had for £25500 with some haggling as I nearly went for one a few weeks back. 

Just out of interest glzzE, would you be able to say whether this was with a BMW dealer, other dealer or private seller?

Thanks all!

It was at Llyod BMW. 

It did however sell pretty quickly. 

But if it is a year old does it really matter? You will get the BMW warranty anyway. 

Edited by gIzzE

I picked up my msport G31 530d at a year old with 1200 miles for a smudge under £31500 when reduced. Main dealer AUC, spotless. No options but frankly only a speaker upgrade was needed and I've coded in extended Bluetooth. 

It did sell very quickly when finally reduced but the guy who bought it first couldnt sort his finance so I jumped on it. Had been stalking it for a few months on the AUC website mind you - the dealer was a little overstocked with 530d tourings at the time I think.

Low miles means the warranty extension will be cheaper too.