Vauxfan

Current cars for sale, all short mot and high price!

Anyone else noticed this. A lot of high price short mot cars out there. Are these cars worth the asking price. Eg a 530 sport on an 07 plate is valued at 3k on we buy any car( I know that's low) based on 108k and full history. 

These are advertised on line at 5.5k average. Do you think this is correct?

My 118i sold for 3k. We buy any car offered 2.1k so I am aware they are off target .

Short MOT always a warning sign on any car over £2k... I mean why for £45 would you not get another year to attract buyers and get best sale price... unless the car is really cheap for year and worth the risk.

Obviously always worth looking at the DVLA MOT history to see what its advisory items have been in recent MOTs.

I'm looking for an E61 at the moment and far prefer 6mths MOT min as it gives me time to check everything over and attend to any issues in my own time rather than facing a possible failure soon in my ownership.

I see some with short MOTs are advertised as "will put new MOT on if asking price paid". No you put the MOT on then we'll talk money.

Edited by Droverunner

2nd hand market on cars and bikes is nuts currently. With the new emissions & the VED increase on cars made between particular years people are looking for older cars. They are also less complex, so when things go wrong they aren't so costly to run/repair.

Sadly they can all be potential money pits at that age.

A statistical gamble or what else can we do... ;)

I just can't justify dumping 15k+ into an F11.

Edited by DarkHorse
typo's

Risking diesel... why a risk... do you mean from the politics or maintenance side??

BTW DarkHorse just clicked through to your photos.. that interior is exactly the one I want... lovely.

Edited by Droverunner

Dpfs, turbos, egr, cokeing up. The swirl flaps, even the newer versions still drop out. If you are not doing long journeys they cause the above issues. The timing chains on higher mileage diesels are known to fail. 2 mates have had the 3l diesels where the chains have snapped.

Hmm... whereas I've run my 17yr old E39 diesel for 5yrs with not a single diesel engine related fault and at just over 150k it starts instantly, doesn't smoke,  pulls like a steam train etc. Wife's Mercedes CLK 2.2 diesel is faultless too at 120k mls. My previous car was an Alfa diesel with 150k+ and never suffered a diesel fault.

Same is true with the other eight diesels we've had over the past 20yrs.

Not the slightest fear of them here. Recipe for no trouble is... Change the filters and oil (proper spec) yearly regardless of mileage. Always drive them briskly once warmed up. Finally pre-empt any trouble with a good ear and feel for problems.

Not trying to points score just telling how it's been for us over many cars and many years.

Edited by Droverunner

It's like with everything. Some experience issues, others don't. 

We also had a pug 206 hid GTI that we had to smash the dog out and map out due to constant issues. There was a 330d in at BMW with a snapped chain last month 2009 with 167 on the clock. Full history.

But like you say, if you have had no issues then your Experience of diesels are good.

On another note. You e39 wont have had a dog or swirl flaps will it. Or am I wrong with that one?

Did you mean dpf? No just twin cats. No flaps either on the manual.

And actually that's part of not being a victim.... knowing your enemy.

So in my case avoid the timing chain issues by not getting an N47 and going for the earlier 2.0... or a much less likely to suffer 2.5/3.0. Choose a model with no swirl flaps to remove that liability. When test driving assess the engine and turbo sounds very carefully for early signs of failure then look after it with oil changes. Re transmissions stick to manual (or if auto check operation is perfect and get fluid changed immediately) and at the test drive assess gearbox sounds plus the dmf and clutch carefully. I've never needed to replace anything to do with a clutch or manual gearbox if it was OK at purchase.

We've run diesel Citroens with dpf in the past and never had problems over 8 years of use.

Edited by Droverunner

7 hours ago, Droverunner said:

BTW DarkHorse just clicked through to your photos.. that interior is exactly the one I want... lovely. 

Cheers, originally I wasn't keen on the medium BMW beige but it has grown on me, being brighter, cooler in summer and balances well with that darker wood trim.

If you are lucky on the later 2009 models you can find the slightly smarter lighter cream version with piano black trim.
Trying to get all your preferences ticked on these motors is quite difficult, where interior was the only one I couldn't meet at the time and consider myself very lucky to hit 7 out of 8 ticks (after a 6 month search :cry:).

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 18:42, DarkHorse said:

Cheers, originally I wasn't keen on the medium BMW beige but it has grown on me, being brighter, cooler in summer and balances well with that darker wood trim.

Obviously colour and trim are very personal. I was a kid when the cars I travelled in were old 50/60s Rovers, Jaguars, Rileys etc where wood dash and leather trim was common. I guess it's subconscious that I still prefer that trim style now. So I'm 90% sure only to buy a car with the woody trim like yours and I find the light interiors easier to keep clean as well as being less gloomy.