Droverunner

Looking at buying a 2006-2008 520/525/530. What problems apart from N47 issues.

Continued from my previous thread where I now understand re engine choices to avoid timing chain issues if I move from my very reliable E39 525D estate.

So apart from the N47 engine issues what else should I look out for on a 2006-2008 diesel manual estate? Suspension, steering, brakes, drivetrain, electrics, trim etc??

First specific question.... is it correct the 525D doesn't have swirl flaps?

Edited by Droverunner

If you enter the last 7 digits of your VIN into Realoem and drill down to find your inlet manifold it should tell you. Our 2007 525d LCI doesn't have them but I only found out after buying blanks and dismantling it. :|

Other things to watch for - correct coolant temperature (may need new thermostats), healthy battery correctly registered or coded to the car. Ideally get diagnostics hooked up and  check for fault codes. If you're going for a Touring then others have reported tailgate problems due to wiring fatigue, water ingress (see sticky in E60/61 section). I'm sure others can add to this. Good luck! 

Edited by pidgeonpost

It probably goes without saying, but ensure there is good service history for fluids and filters. I would make the guess that most people only service the car when it tells them to based on the CBS information. So i wouldn't trust any of the mileage figures in iDrive saying when the next service/service items are due. 

On that age of car wheel bearings are probably an item that would need to be replaced, if not going already. They are hard to diagnose when driving as they get quieter when loaded up due to the design, not noisier like they do on other vehicles. 

As with any other car, check all the lights, buttons, switches etc work. Also in the touring check the boot floor (where the spare wheel sits) for water ingress marks and check the relays and PDC units for any signs of rust/green tinge on the contacts. That's a sign there has been moisture ingress, either through blocked drainage pipes or the boot vents. 

Thanks for the heads up on wheel bearings... from YouTube it seems a bit of a lengthy job with all the suspension dismantling and at the rear driveshaft removal.

Is the spare wheel well water issue just cars with a sunroof?

6 hours ago, Droverunner said:

Thanks for the heads up on wheel bearings... from YouTube it seems a bit of a lengthy job with all the suspension dismantling and at the rear driveshaft removal.

Is the spare wheel well water issue just cars with a sunroof?

The rears are more difficult than the front due to the drive shafts. The front is fairly straight forwards, it does take time to dismantle the suspension gubbins, but the plus side is it means checking it all/replacing if needed is much easier . . . 

Spare wheel well can get flooded without or without sunroof, there are drainage tubes that run just behind the rear lights. You'll know if you've had an issue as the battery tray will have some water in/have rust in it. There are also vents in the boot floor too (one on either side) which can fail and also let water in. 

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=PX12-EUR-07-2007-E61N-BMW-520d&diagId=51_5315#64226945845

Price of vents

On 16/03/2019 at 22:42, Droverunner said:

First specific question.... is it correct the 525D doesn't have swirl flaps?

I have an 06/06 525d man and it does have swirl flaps.

As mentioned, the thermostats are troublesome. My engine isn't getting above 60degC at the moment so another set needed....

RgdS Paj

Oh yes are there any extras that are more trouble re reliability than they are worth? Elec seats, soft close doors, satnav etc.

2 hours ago, Droverunner said:

Thanks guys.

Paj have you done anything about your swirl flaps?

I am keeping my Swirl Flaps..........(Now that should put the cat amongst the pigeons!)

As I have said before" I have been to my local BMW Indy regarding another matter and I mentioned "the dreaded Swirl Flaps" (My words said in a dramatic way!) He said that neither he or his mechanics had ever seen a swirl flap eaten on an E60. I hope I don't prove him wrong."

So They are staying in at the moment.

As for upgrade reliability, I have full electric heated seats and steering wheel, and Dynamic Xenons which have been trouble free over 13 years. My CCC nav does ask for a DVD when its hot but I just eject the DVD and pop it back in. It then works fine.

Hope that helps

RgdS Paj

Cheers, all builds my understanding.

I'm not going to travel much over 50mls to see a car and there are a few must haves such as a manual gearbox and leather so happy to wait. My E39 runs superbly so no urgency but I will make the change as soon as a suitable car comes up. The main push to do this soonish is my car will need a set of tyres if I were to take it into the autumn/winter and I'd far rather be putting that new set on a new to me E61.

Just to round off...

Some may be surprised at the car I've ended up with but first worth explaining... Mrs D joins me in retirement in max 3yrs when our car needs may be different and some retirement cash could be used. So having found ideally I'd need to up my budget get the 5-series that suited all my wishes realised this wasn't the time to do that.

By chance called in the village garage the other day and casually asked if they knew of any local 5-series diesel estates and they said no what about that pointing across the yard.

"That" was a large estate, diesel with  manual box. Leather and woody trim I like. Full main dealer history and lower miles than any BMW I'd seen at the age. MOT two weeks shy of a year and in my favourite colour too. Quick test drive went well and deal agreed at about 60% of a 5-series of similar age/spec.

So for the next 2/3yrs I'm Mondeo man. Just got to shift the E39 525D now.

Edited by Droverunner

Glow plug controller is a fairly common thing to go only 50ish quid to fix though.

Diversity antenna on the estates get wet and fail which loses radio signal and or remote central locking second hand ones are 150ish on Ebay at least that's what I paid. 

I'm sure theres more... 

>>>sure there's more...

Very likely. As with all my cars I prefer to buy something with work to do so I have a full service, timing belt/w.pump & alloy wheel refurb to sort next week.