NuckingFuts

Style 65 Refurb

So after a bit of unexpected slipping and sliding on the ice a few weeks back and an unintended smack against the kerb, I sent my 65's (square set of rears) off to The Autowerks in the Slough Trading Estate for a full weld and refurbishment of all four alloys. 

Cracks and buckles:

1884260081_file(1).thumb.jpeg.ec7a77df9deeb7ae84d92e308d263adb.jpeg788189045_file1(1).thumb.jpeg.b1af14868a4392de23b2850b39c16e33.jpegfile2.thumb.jpeg.788348c587b3b4233694d92e0549e5a7.jpeg1007565772_file3(1).thumb.jpeg.a5dce1c80e68e746ec6e6195f904cdbd.jpeg

Strip

Buckle

Flat Spot

Finished Articles:

Result

They came out waaay better than I could ever have imagined. The colour chosen was a McLaren Dark carbon and in the light the gloss makes them really pop. sets the colour off so well in comparison to the colour of the car (BiarritzBlau) 

The plan of action now, is to use some gtechniq panel wipe/speed detailer to get the cleanest base at which to start applying the gtechniq C5 Armour guard ceramic coating. This stuff has got reviews of being great at stopping brake dust and mud/dirt/crud deposits from sticking to the wheels in between the spokes and generally making them look like absolute crapbags. 

I'm also refurbishing the M5 front calipers & pistons with a Bigg Red kit, bleeding the lines and finally completing the repair from this irritating event. 

In conclusion, they're looking perfect. and soon (hopefully this weekend) the car will be properly back on the road and I can continue to strip down the M5 for the S62 touring project. 

4 minutes ago, P 5UML said:

@NuckingFuts Wow that's some work that needed doing to them! 

how much did they charge for the refurb? also, i'm assuming that's a paint finish and not powdercoat? 

Yep, two hit the pavement, and one had previous damage before i bought them, not noticeable to the naked eye, but bright as day when stripped. 

Yes, that's correct, not powder coated, they wouldn't have got that finish if it was. 

The end figure was ~£780, I got 10% off as they're in the same trading estate as where i work, so with the estate's discount card they did 10% discount. I paid £700 flat. 

3 wheels needed repair, and all 4 were repainted. 

NF aka Deepan

17 hours ago, DatV8 said:

That's a great result, bet they'll look amazing on the car B) Nice work!

I was astounded myself. The workmanship is second to none on these, and their reputation speaks for itself. 

I've had to put the wheels on the car before i got a chance to apply the Gtechniq C5 Armour Guard, but that will happen asap. 

NF aka Deepan.