qprdude

Advise me please. 2010 F10? 520 2.0l D SE. 181

Am I allowed on here without having a 5 series yet/ I'm dipping my ancient toe into the BMW waters and will be going to look at another 520d today. The last rear wheel drive car I had was a Jaguar S type so I suspect I've forgotten how to drive them. I don't need to get from a to b in the blink of an eye, but I need comfort. Currently I have a Citroen DS5, which is wonderful inside and out.....until you get to the suspension. Absolutely woeful, hence the search for something a little more forgiving that a horse and cart. Is there anything I should be aware of ? The car is a 2011 2.0l D SE. Haven't seen pictures yet, or spec, as it's arriving at the garage today sometime.  I love all the bells and whistles but realise I'm probably going to have to compromise , as I'm never going to get the stuff that the DS5 has as standard. These 5 series look to be pretty well specced though, even the base model. Any advice on what to look out for and what to avoid will be much appreciated. Thanks

A 2011 520d will have the dreaded N47 engine which can suffer terminally from rattly timing chains.  They are best avoided IMO.

Look at 530d's they are a far better car.

There are the well known F10 weaknesses of yellow grommet water leaks, air con condenser failure, rust on doors, wear on internal plastics and EGR recalls.

You probably won't want an MSport on 19" rfts then if you are used to a floaty ride in a DS5.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

A 2011 520d will have the dreaded N47 engine which can suffer terminally from rattly timing chains.  They are best avoided IMO.

Look at 530d's they are a far better car.

There are the well known F10 weaknesses of yellow grommet water leaks, air con condenser failure, rust on doors, wear on internal plastics and EGR recalls.

You probably won't want an MSport on 19" rfts then if you are used to a floaty ride in a DS5.

Unfortunately, the 530 is way out of my budget!

The DS5 has about the worst suspension I have ever suffered, and I go back to the days of the ford popular! Torsion bar and dampers that would be more suited to a tram! Citroens big car lost the Hydraulic suspension with the demise of the C5 model. There seems to be an awful lot of 520 BMW's on the road, surely they can't all have rattly timing chains?  I'm still learning about these beasts but I'm willing to accept less than perfection at 8 years old.  Seems to be a bit of a disaster on wheels though. Any good points. My brother has a 6 cyl job , but thats a 2008.

I have a 2011 520d F11 (touring) with the N47 engine. Its just gone past 140,000 miles and has no timing chain rattle. And looking at the history it never has had so they can't all be bad. The 530d was on my list but like you, just a bit over my budget. They ride well most of the time, even with rft's with only the odd bumps causing a jolt. But its not as bad as alot of other cars. The seats are very comfy even in standard form, but you dont get lumbar adjustment which is odd. Im quite happy with mine so far but it is going to be used as a work horse very soon as im setting up my own company. Only time will tell...

Our 520d Touring is 9 years old this December and has 67000 miles on the clock. No major issues to report. Don't run a warranty and repairs outside or normal servicing have cost less than £500 in over 5 years.

No timing chain issues here but I change the oil in between the recommended servicing and run mostly on V Power fuel. 

Am lucky enough to have Comfort Seats which are electric memory with lumbar and they are brilliant seats. 18" summer wheels run ordinary tyres whilst the winters are 17" run flats and the ride is good to acceptable on both.

All good stuff. The car I will be looking at next is a 2011 SE in Tasman green with 56,000 on the clock with a full Synter service history and a new MOT. 

Asking price is a little higher than some but as always, a better trade in price on my Citroen. Swings and roundabouts. 

3 Months RAC warranty and a years RAC roadside (£45?) . 

All their cars are well presented, including alloy refurb if required. 

So far, the spec is sketchy. Full electric heated Oyster leather (with electric lumbar!), DAB radio, Professional Sat Nav and Reverse camera. Power fold mirrors, rear electric blind and I've just noticed that the 17" fully refurbished multi spoke alloys.

I'm assuming  that the sat nav will be the 5 digit postcode jobbie. I paid £140 to have the DS5 firmware upgraded to take 7 digits.

38 minutes ago, E39mad said:

Our 520d Touring is 9 years old this December and has 67000 miles on the clock. No major issues to report. Don't run a warranty and repairs outside or normal servicing have cost less than £500 in over 5 years.

No timing chain issues here but I change the oil in between the recommended servicing and run mostly on V Power fuel. 

Am lucky enough to have Comfort Seats which are electric memory with lumbar and they are brilliant seats. 18" summer wheels run ordinary tyres whilst the winters are 17" run flats and the ride is good to acceptable on both.

Some good advice there. Don't go on BMWs service recommendations for oil change.

How have you managed to have spent only £100 per year on servicing, I take it that is at an Indy?

If the servicing requirements  align, you can easily be hit for £500 in one visit to a main dealer, all the filters, oil, vehicle inspection,  brake fluid change etc. 

24 minutes ago, qprdude said:

All good stuff. The car I will be looking at next is a 2011 SE in Tasman green with 56,000 on the clock with a full Synter service history and a new MOT. 

Asking price is a little higher than some but as always, a better trade in price on my Citroen. Swings and roundabouts. 

All their cars are well presented, including alloy refurb if required. 

So far, the spec is sketchy. Full electric heated Oyster leather (with electric lumbar!), DAB radio, Professional Sat Nav and Reverse camera. Power fold mirrors, rear electric blind and I've just noticed that the 17" fully refurbished multi spoke alloys.

I'm assuming  that the sat nav will be the 5 digit postcode jobbie. I paid £140 to have the DS5 firmware upgraded to take 7 digits.

2011 F10 cars will all have 7 digit post code search. Only the early 2010 ones have the 5 digits. 

Find the BMW’s VIN number and pop the last 7 digits into https://www.mdecoder.com/

to get the as-built specification for a specific car. 

Thanks for that. I can't abide Nav with European postcode ability. The boss is in charge of maps and she insists on postcode search, after we have had to update our last two Citroens. Can't get the VIN yet but I'll try the nav when I get my hands on the car.

1 hour ago, qprdude said:

Remember, a warranty only covers faults which develop AFTER the car has been sold. Any faults which are already present (but which you may not spot) and which show up in the first 6 months of ownership are the responsibility of the dealer to fix, if he can't prove they developed after the sale.

Cheers Johnny. Yes, that's true, but for once in my entire car buying life (think I'm close to 30 so far!) ( cars, not years)I actually trust the garage I'm dealing with. To be honest, I haven't really had too many bad experiences ,and always seem to have managed to get things done without much hassle. The DS 5 had an oil leak that I noticed on the drive after a couple of days ownership. The DS5 had a crankcase seal leaking after a couple of days ownership and the warranty paid out no problem. Took three days and a few hundred quid for the job! I had a 4 Year warranty with my C5 and had five expensive fixes for free.

If the worst comes to the worst, i'll borrow money from the wife to pay!

Edited by qprdude

I have a 2010 520d touring and I've done about 80k in it(about 93000 in total) and the only major issue I have had is a blocked dash drain that ended up shorting some of the electrics but hopefully it could be prevented by clearing the drains as per the post on this site on a regular basis(not actually the yellow grommet I think! ). The rear air suspension also had a fault but the saloon does not have the air if I remember correctly. No chain rattle but it has been serviced as per BMW's recommendations and I give the engine an easy time when it is cold. Overall a superb car and so comfortable on a long journey. Highly recommended. 

Edited by ukvet63

Thanks. Another positive one. I had a rover 75 where the ECU sat in  the void space uder the wipers and if both drains got blocked it got drowned. Definitely something to watch out for, cheers.

I ran 2 Accords for 7 years and had a BMW itch.  The BM engine is gruff in comparison but fine once it gets going.  I did my research and wanted standard suspension.  I have already got rid of the runflats as they are too stiff and ruin the handling.  The 5 is a great drivers car and the 520 has enough power me.  Its as fast as an m5 in rush hour.    I cant get mine to do under 43 mpg on the trip computer.  The chain issue is well documented and I would go for a N47T.  You would have to check when they were phased in but I think it was april or august 2011.  The have revised chain guides.

Interesting that you got rid of the Run Flats. Does that affect the tyre monitoring system? Does the system need to be recalibrated. Mine are valve and wheel specific . I've had two Hondas. One Accord and one Honda Shadow motorbike.

honda_small.jpg

P1080778.JPG

1 hour ago, qprdude said:

Interesting that you got rid of the Run Flats. Does that affect the tyre monitoring system? Does the system need to be recalibrated. Mine are valve and wheel specific . I've had two Hondas. One Accord and one Honda Shadow motorbike.

Changing runflats for non-runflats has no impact on tyre pressure monitoring. The air in the tyre is the same on both and that's what's been monitored if you have TPMS (metal valve stem with electronics to measure actual pressure). If you buy a pre 2014 car they'll more than likely have RDC and the wheels will have black rubber valve stems and this relies on the abs system monitoring for wheel rotational speed  differential to detect a tyre deflation. 

16 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

How have you managed to have spent only £100 per year on servicing, I take it that is at an Indy?

Post should have said outside of normal servicing. 

Servicing can be cheap even at BMW - a value oil and filter change is on the cards next month at £129 - I change the cabin filters myself saving £80 in total. Brake fluid is being done by an Indy as BMW want £100 for this.

21 minutes ago, E39mad said:

Post should have said outside of normal servicing. 

Yes, that IS what you said, just with a small typo - it’s how I read it anyway.

Good going for any car far less a BMW!

Good to know the 5 has owners with taste in football teams!    On the way home today, I stopped at a garage and had a seat in a C Class merc estate (Just for comparison purposes!) It was 'orrible. Theseats were hard, the handbrake was foot operated and the cabin didn't look premium at all. The salesman said the C Class is the competition for the 3 series ,but not for me. Still waiting for a try of the 5 series. 

2 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

Glad to see you're getting some good responses having posted in this section.

This is a really helpful forum. The Citroen one is also excellent for advice and friendly banter. Before almost settling for a BMW, I had toyed with the idea of  a Jag XF, then I took a fancy to a VW CC. I took a test drive and it was really nice, with three suspension modes and a decent spec. I was nearly convinced, until I joined a VW forum, to do just what I'm doing here. I posted much the same questions regarding the CC and the first response I got was from an administrator who bluntly told me I had posted in the technical section before introducing myself as a newbie. He then went on to ask what I was doing on a VW forum when I owned a Citroen! I guess he didn't bother to read my post before sounding off. That more or less decided me that I would be looking at another brand. After one post, I have been made to feel welcome, given some very good advice and also told how to post the request for advice in this section after starting in the Newbie section. This is obviously a forum with a better class of membership with helpful suggestions rather than bitter moaning. Thanks for allowing me aboard.                       

I find it to be a friendly forum with some a lot of members with quite a detailed technical knowledge of these cars who are generous in sharing their expertise. 

I have Msport suspension and 19 inch non run flats. I find it comfortable but firm. I'd advise not ruling out an m sport without test driving one as you may find it ok and it would widen your choice. 

Happy hunting! 

Thanks for that. I've had a few cars riding on 19inch low profiles and I think maybe  the local roads around here would be uncomfortable. Nothing ruled out yet, as the only 5 series I have ever been in is my brothers one. It's a 6 cyl, probably 535 ? but it's a 2007 I think, so might be a bit different!!