Evening All,

So last weekend I changed my Discs, Pads and Sensors all round, then reset the dashboard counter. Drove around plymouth, had an MOT then drove to Portsmouth just over 200miles.

THEN

I started driving back to plymouth, after 12 miles, the "Brake pads worn" error popped up, pulled over then re started the car, no warning then it came back. then when I pulled on the drive the "Check parking pads" warning???

Now I know that the pads are brand new, just over 366 miles now. Any ideas? shall I just check the sensors?

5 minutes ago, dsgrnmcm said:

Evening All,

So last weekend I changed my Discs, Pads and Sensors all round, then reset the dashboard counter. Drove around plymouth, had an MOT then drove to Portsmouth just over 200miles.

THEN

I started driving back to plymouth, after 12 miles, the "Brake pads worn" error popped up, pulled over then re started the car, no warning then it came back. then when I pulled on the drive the "Check parking pads" warning???

Now I know that the pads are brand new, just over 366 miles now. Any ideas? shall I just check the sensors?

We’re they genuine sensors? I have heard of pattern parts causing this issue for some. Check the sensors are seated properly and their connectors are clean then reset the brake service again. If the message reappears I’d get genuine sensors and try again. 

Wheels off nearside front and offside rear to check all is well with the sensors and their wiring.

The front sensor is held under many clips which were quite corroded on mine so it may have sprung out and been damaged by the rotating disc.

Thanks Matt and Andrew,

I'm picking up some BMW sensors (£50 for both!!!)

Then I'll check Pattern ones before fitting the BMW ones. 

Will I be able to return the old ones?

Some pics of the sensor wiring on the front wheel.

Check the sensor connection, in the top of the wheel arch liner.

IMG-12-4205.jpg

It's routed via small black plastic clips in the upper wheel arch 

IMG-9-4202.jpg

and then some metal clips (screwdriver is pointing to one) on the steering knuckle which on mine were quite corroded and needed flexed slightly to remove the wiring. Assuming similar on yours these may have damaged and the wire has come loose and been damaged by something.

IMG-29-4230.jpg

The wear sensor clips into the inner pad but the clip is a single use only, it's not designed to come back out the pad, so if it's still secure on the pad, leave it and try a reset again.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for that mate. I picked up 2 BMW sensors, but only needed the front one. It had 2 nicks or wear marks. The rear BMW was too small for my PAGID pads, but the front was a perfect fit.

Here is the damage:

20190316_095223.thumb.jpg.38ddd403a99c4f793cf96c3d7ef9a750.jpg

The BMW sensor was shorter and gave a better fit, I did however cable tie the slack at the rear.

20190316_100306.thumb.jpg.1690d2e5f9558f2191b1ee1f1dbbd0bd.jpg

After fitting the front sensor, all warnings were gone, even the rear pad worn and rear parking warnings. strange. 

So £25 refund from BMW and a free coffee. 

You wouldn't think the discs are a week / 400 miles old....

Edited by dsgrnmcm

That looks like the tyre eat thru it. The inside edge of the tyre is very close to the top of the steering knuckle just below where the upper arm balljoint is. It looks like it wore there. Make sure the new sensors are routed correctly. Both the ABS sensor wire and the pad wear sensor wire should be clipped under the metal clips st the top centre of the splasher shield.