jonone77

Bilstien b6 vs oem sachs

I have a e61 with m sport suspension,it’s done 140,000 so I’ve decided to do a suspension re fresh.

cant decide if I should try the bilstien b6 or get new oem dampers.

id like better body control but obviously don’t want to compromise the ride to much.

not sure how much body roll is due to old dampers?

any opinions on b6 vs oem?

thansk.

B6 will be harsh like the OEM M-sport shocks, consider spending the money on Koni special active shocks & have the best of both worlds, grip and comfort.

If you want less roll fit M5 ARB's

https://www.koni.com/en-US/Cars/Products/Performance/Special-Active/

I paid £550 delivered from Larkspeed.

Edited by GoNz0

Ok so the special active have replaced the fsd?

does the car roll less compared to standard m sport suspension?

im ok with how my car rides at the minute but old dampers maybe making the ride soft?

i have e60 m5 anti roll bars on my car already 

i wonder if the b6 will make the car roll less then the special active dampers 

Ok so the special active have replaced the fsd?
does the car roll less compared to standard m sport suspension?

im ok with how my car rides at the minute but old dampers maybe making the ride soft?

i have e60 m5 anti roll bars on my car already 

i wonder if the b6 will make the car roll less then the special active dampers 
I expect so as they are so hard, I had the b8 on my 328 as a factory option and they were so hard long trips were not fun. B8 are shorter b6, not sure if the m sport needs the b8 tbh?
Body roll is down compared to stock though.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

I expect so as they are so hard, I had the b8 on my 328 as a factory option and they were so hard long trips were not fun. B8 are shorter b6, not sure if the m sport needs the b8 tbh?
Body roll is down compared to stock though.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Really the b8 were that bad?

i was going to go for the b6 as they will have more travel, shortened stroke May the b8 worse?

what car are the special actives fitted too? They roll less then standard m sport suspension?

wonder how long they will last as people reported the fsd failing around 40k

The B8 are just slightly shorter but afaik still valved the same to account for the reduced spring travel.

I have them on my E61 and body roll is reduced. I have no idea about the life of the special actives as they are the latest release but you would hope they last longer?

22 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

The B8 are just slightly shorter but afaik still valved the same to account for the reduced spring travel.

I have them on my E61 and body roll is reduced. I have no idea about the life of the special actives as they are the latest release but you would hope they last longer?

Yeah you would hope they last longer....

apparently there service is good but it’s the hassle of getting it sorted if they fail...

seems theres pros and cons to both.

looks like bilstien probably roll less, cost more but probably last longer,  but then they ride harder.

koni S.A. are cheaper, ride better but probably roll more and possibly will fail early.....

decisions

Edited by jonone77

If you want handling over comfort the Bilstein it is (lifetime warranty)

If you want better comfort than the stock M sport setup without the pothole explosions and the ability to give it the odd rag with an improved handling over stock then KSA

FYI you can only buy stock rear shocks from BMW £££££

I did give the B8's serious consideration but it came down to the wank state of our roads and the car being used for trips to Cornwall. I kinda grew up after owning the E36 328 when I got into the 535d and wanted to be able to cruise and keep my fillings :lol:

30 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

If you want handling over comfort the Bilstein it is (lifetime warranty)

If you want better comfort than the stock M sport setup without the pothole explosions and the ability to give it the odd rag with an improved handling over stock then KSA

FYI you can only buy stock rear shocks from BMW £££££

I did give the B8's serious consideration but it came down to the wank state of our roads and the car being used for trips to Cornwall. I kinda grew up after owning the E36 328 when I got into the 535d and wanted to be able to cruise and keep my fillings :lol:

How did the standard e61 M-Sport suspension compare to the e36 with b8s? 

Are you/we’re you on run flats if so which ones?

thanks for your time and input btw.....

You really can't compare the 2 m8, one was a sports coupe and the others a barge on wheels :lol:

I just couldn't stand the thought of having a 5 series estate that felt every pebble in the road, it went round corners on rails but the car left the factory on the B8's so it was tuned to that setup.

My main issue with the e61 was the bangs when you hit a pothole (aka pothole explosions) as I am on Primacy 3 run flats so it makes things 10x worse, the Koni's stopped that dead, tightened it up a fair bit, you can still feel the road like the B8's but I would say it halved the feedback removing the bit's you don't want to feel unless you're on a race track.

The 328 came with solid lollipop bushes on the front like the M3, I decided to stay stock with Lemforder on the 535 to retain comfort.

It does go around corners well for a 2 tonne barge and it isn't as keen to wheelspin off like it did on the stock kit with 100k on it.

No problem.