gine39530d

What screws needed for R16 Rims?

If they're OEM 16" alloys, or 16" alloys with the OEM offset; then the standard wheel bolts will fit normally

Off the top of my head, they need to be M12 x 1.5 and 25/30mm of thread, 60 degree taper also

57 minutes ago, gine39530d said:

if bolt is long but rim is short

then bolt will touch brake discs?

What's the offset of the rim?

Is it an alloy wheel or a steel wheel?

Pictures?

Interestingly I went from 16" Style 33's up to 17" Style 81's on my touring, and have found since then a rubbing when cornering sometimes.. and I'm fairly convinced it's the wheel bolt catching on something inside on the rear brake disc so there's probably some weight to this. I didn't realise there would be different length wheel bolts though specifically to address this though?! 

Edited by chicaneuk

there are 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 mm shorts

how to find out which ones to buy?

do i stick a stick in to the grooves and measure distance ? a bit ghetto

55 minutes ago, chicaneuk said:

Interestingly I went from 16" Style 33's up to 17" Style 81's on my touring, and have found since then a rubbing when cornering sometimes.. and I'm fairly convinced it's the wheel bolt catching on something inside on the rear brake disc so there's probably some weight to this. I didn't realise there would be different length wheel bolts though specifically to address this though?! 

All E39 wheel bolts are the same length; doesn't matter if its a 16" Turbine or 18" Style 65 etc

However, if someone has been using spacers, it could be that the bolts they've used are still on the car; they'll be that spacers thickness longer (ie. 5mm hubcentric shim, the bolts need to be 5mm longer, 15mm hubcentric spacers, the bolts need to be 15mm longer etc). These longer bolts cannot be used with OEM alloys on their own 

However; a stone stuck between the disc and back plate will cause a rubbing sound too; but check that it's not the tyre catching the upright or similar

2 hours ago, gine39530d said:

why would you say length is the same

when i have got real case scenario 

bolts are too long

and 

bolts site shows entire range of lengths?

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-E39/wheelscrewsshort-pg1360-catn-ol

Are there different length bolts available for wheels from BMW? My understanding is there is not.. there is one size. If no, then that's the end of the discussion. Aftermarket is an entirely different game, and might be to accomodate all kinds of aftermarket wheels on different offsets, or through spacers / hub adaptors.

Is it not possible you simply don't have genuine BMW bolts on your car currently?