Sign in to follow this  
RanchoGrande

530i LCI - Low MPG

Hey all, getting between 14-15 mpg in my N53 530i E61, mainly city driving. My old 330ci averaged around 22 mpg with the same style of driving; is there anything that could be causing low MPG? I've read the codes and there is nothing untoward, plus I checked the coolant temp which is at 105 degrees so have ruled out the thermostat.

Anything else I could look at? I wasn't expecting lots of MPG but thought it would be 20 ish around town.

thanks in advance.

Hi, are you trusting your on board computer or are you checking yourself when you fill up? My computer lies a lot. 

I have a pre-lci 530i Sport auto and my lowest mpg is 23mpg around town using premium fuel. On a run I can get mid 30's, my overall average is about 26mpg.

Agreed, 24+ warmed up (manual).

Check:

- Error codes. Done.

- Tyre pressures.

- Sticky handbrake or caliper (a hot wheel).

- Serpentine/Aux belt drag (AC compressor, Alternator, power steering etc).

Was in the garage last week, apparently the sparks are fine. Having the tyres changed to matching non run flats this weekend. They are currently a mix of run flats and non!

Possibly an o2 sensor? 

Edited by RanchoGrande

As long as the tyres are the same type/size on each axel, I think you can get away with that.

7 hours ago, RanchoGrande said:

Was in the garage last week, apparently the sparks are fine. Having the tyres changed to matching non run flats this weekend. They are currently a mix of run flats and non!

Possibly an o2 sensor? 

Well that will make it feel a lot better on the road at least! 

8 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

As long as the tyres are the same type/size on each axel, I think you can get away with that.

They are, but the rear tyres which are non run flat are mega budget and feel a little twitchy! Shame to ditch the fronts as they are decent with a lot of tread left.

F10 n53 here and agree that low 20's around town should be easy but I'd also say that I regularly see 14-15mpg if I do ridiculously short trips often,  like 1 mile drive stop for a while then drive back so the engine is stone cold, like when I pick the kids up. 

OTOH I just got 39.2mpg on a very fast run from cardiff to Heathrow. Average speed was very close to 70mph.

What's your MPG like on a  decent run?

NOx sensor will affect MPG big time but presumably you see no codes for that?