Standard DPF issue, I’ve cleared all the faults, forced a regen, temps 85c on a steady and added Forte DPF cleaner, always sorted the issue out.

This time the error still comes up after two long motorway sessions.

Now previously I’ve had 2 glow plugs and never caused a problem, currently I have 4 glow plugs out.

There has always been debated on here whether faulty glow plugs stop regens, mine still did with couple plugs out, so could this be an issue with more plugs out?

Since day one under my ownership I have GPs 1 & 2 errors. I did change all four of them but the errors persist. Likely controller unit at fault. I'm starting to see GP 3 now faulting regularly. My DPF does regens no problemo. In fact I've got a couple of threads going about it doing them TOO frequently, but that's a separate issue. 

Keliuss

1 hour ago, JasonH said:

My DPF used to regen with all 6 plugs out (controller was dead).

Then im hoping mines is really clogged and needs more long runs!!!

Will try to do a backpressure test today.

12 hours ago, keliuss said:

Since day one under my ownership I have GPs 1 & 2 errors. I did change all four of them but the errors persist. Likely controller unit at fault. I'm starting to see GP 3 now faulting regularly. My DPF does regens no problemo. In fact I've got a couple of threads going about it doing them TOO frequently, but that's a separate issue. 

Keliuss

Our car has gone from 1>2>3 plugs duff over 4 years but still regens OK. No problem with cold weather starts either. 

3 hours ago, ZaKaS said:

How you notice when car starts regen? 

Using live data from the car with an obd adapter and phone app like torque/carly. 

Keliuss 

As anyone will see from the readings my DPF is fairly clogged however the diagnosis screen showed that my cars last regen was just 640 meters ago and the ones before that recently also.... so not sure why still heavily clogged!!!

FDEE7B42-B4C8-4E89-9487-F665E5EBA98F.jpeg

6C7C37FA-7BC9-4858-A33F-DB0BB782A6B5.jpeg

A4E70726-3195-467F-AC70-5A3360852C7C.jpeg

Sometime when you get the heavily clogged codes the only way to clean out the system is to keep clearing the fault codes whilst you are driving. BMW send two people out for a long (45 mins motorway) drive with one resetting the fault codes as they pop up.

Fat chance of that with the battery on my laptop absolutely buggered.

I had to run an extension cable via window of my office onto pavement and run the DIS with charging wire coming through window!!!

3 minutes ago, The Situation said:

Fat chance of that with the battery on my laptop absolutely buggered.

I had to run an extension cable via window of my office onto pavement and run the DIS with charging wire coming through window!!!

Sounds like you're going to need a very long extension lead.....

3 minutes ago, JasonH said:

Sounds like you're going to need a very long extension lead.....

Yeah one that is long enough to go from Mile End to Harlow roundabout and double back!!!!!

With a cheap Elm327(£5) and Bmtool android app(£10) you can do a forced regen which keeps clearing errors so you should be able to start a regen. 

2 hours ago, keliuss said:

Ouch, those pressure readings are high. How many miles are on the DPF do you think?

On the LCI models like mine, they are designed to be lifetime whereas pre-LCI they have a lifespan of 150k miles I think.

2 hours ago, Syemondo said:

With a cheap Elm327(£5) and Bmtool android app(£10) you can do a forced regen which keeps clearing errors so you should be able to start a regen. 

I cleared errors again with DIS and went for my third motorway run, the error didn’t come up on the drive there and back.

Guess tomorrow will see if sorted however either way still think needs at least another run, the tank still has a Forte DPF cleaner in it so might as well run it out.

9 hours ago, The Situation said:

On the LCI models like mine, they are designed to be lifetime whereas pre-LCI they have a lifespan of 150k miles I think.

Three things:

1. My LCI has a permanent error for "DPF near end of life" error code. It has 127k miles on it with about 22k life remaining. So yes, about 150k

2. "Lifetime" means many different things to many different people. Like BMW "lifetime" oil in gearboxes. In case you don't know what "lifetime" means in BMW speak, it's 100k miles.

3. All DPFs in existence accumulate ash. Soot is burnt during a regen and you are left with some ash which cannot be removed without removing the DPF.

Keliuss