gine39530d

spare tyre r17 when stock r16

Do you mean can you replace a 16" diameter tyre with a 17" diameter tyre, on a 16" rim?

If so, no you can't...

3 minutes ago, gine39530d said:

i have a one tyre r17 rim and r17 tyre 235 45 r17

can i drive with 1 r17 235 45 and 3 r16 225 55?

Guess so, but car might be a little lop sided!

In an emergency it will be sufficient but if you have an auto gearbox and different size wheels, the car "thinks" you are going around a corner due to differing wheel speeds when you are on a straight road. This will result in the box not changing gears as it should. Same thing happens with an under-inflated/punctured tyre. I learnt this from experience with my old E39.

Keliuss

crap....

:/

but can I drive okishly lets say 80kmph for 100km with this ?

gearbox wont die on me?

can I set to manual shifting?

GM auto gearbox, steptronic M+-

Edited by gine39530d

19 minutes ago, gine39530d said:

say 80kmph for 100km with this

Yes, should be fine. What I noticed at those speeds was that the box would not change up through gears and you'd end up driving lower gear with higher revs. Can't fully remember what resulted shifting in steptronic but I'm leaning towards thinking it had no effect, (not sure though).

Keliuss

Basically comes down to rolling circumference.  Put a chalk mark on the tyre, roll it along until the mark comes round again and measure the length. Do the same with the other one.  If the two readings are very close you shouldn’t have any problem.

30 minutes ago, gine39530d said:

bad?

No idea if it's bad, but if an otherwise perfect set of matching tyres with one partially deflated is enough for the car to notice then I think it will notice the above discrepancy. It's not going to be an issue in an emergency using a smaller size temporarily. With long-term use I have no idea. I had a slow puncture in a rear tyre and I would notice this gearbox behaviour when the air got really low.

It wasn't an issue that worried me.

Keliuss