Sign in to follow this  
530nm

Any IT or computer savvy people on here?

Have an office computer here (Dell Optiplex 3020 - with Intel i3-4150 CPU @ 3.50GHz with 4 Gb RAM).

I've been looking around online for Memory/Ram upgrades, but unsure how much RAM i can add to the standard 4gb already installed?  I can go ahead and buy the maximum possible (32GB) and beef it out, but I don't think it's easy as that is it?   Probably overkill, and would need other things upgraded/cooling?

Is a 4GB/8GB addition to the existing 4gb installed a safe upgrade without worrying about cooling and other issues, or worst nightmare the computer catching fire or breaking down on me? 

What is it you're needing to upgrade the RAM for? Are you using memory-heavy programmes etc?

Adding RAM won't cause any issues/setting the computer on fire; but you need to fully ensure it can cater for it

I'd say yes, the programs I'm using seem to tax the system, especially when I need few of them open simultaneously.  

Use alot of accountancy software, Sage, payroll software etc.  Then on top of that I find chrome eats up a lot of speed/memory and most times I'll also be running youtube in background...

Have a look on Crucial and see what they can offer: https://uk.crucial.com/

I'm a Mac user; but know that an SSD can make a huge difference, as can a full wipe and restore too! Worth bearing in mind

I'd also say that 8GB RAM would be more than sufficient for your usage; it's not as if youre doing video editing etc or doing a lot of gaming

Or do the right thing; sell it and buy a Mac ;):mrgreen::P 

Edited by d_a_n1979

5 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I'm a Mac user; but know that an SSD can make a huge difference, as can a full wipe and restore too! Worth bearing in mind

I'd also say that 8GB RAM would be more than sufficient for your usage; it's not as if youre doing video editing etc or doing a lot of gaming

Ha, feel to restricted with Apple products and it's the same with iphones and their laptops, otherwise I like the quality and look of apple products, but just feel I'd be locked and would end up getting fed-up or bored of the products.

It was Crucial I had a quick look on this morning, they seem to have the best prices and good quality, used them many years ago for memory without any issues.  Agree with the SSD, I have changed to Samsung Evo SSD 2 months ago and it made a huge difference.

2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

+1

I can't think of your programs being CPU heavy and causing your computer to run slow. RAM may make a little difference in the short term but SSD is the way forward.

Unless your Operatjng System is 64bit (x64) it will use more than 4GB or RAM. If your Operating System is 32bit (x86) more than 4GB will not make any difference. There is a registry fix but it will still be a x86 Operating System. 

Agreed with i products being restricted with regards to if you want them to be more than a user friendly device (I don’t want a smart phone or iPad  to be anything more, however I have ran a web server on a jailbreak iPad lol). I take a different view with their desktops and laptops as they are capable of a lot more.   

Edited by nealpina
Quickly wrote it on the train then had a phone call - spotted all the typos oops

The i3 is old tech, I'd be looking at swapping to at least an i5 or i7/i9 if you have dollar.  Then swap the board.  Add an SSD.  Add 16GB+ RAM.

If you have to stay with that processor, I'd add another 4GB of RAM and an SSD and port it across.

Add RAM in pairs and keep the frequency the same.  Check to see how many slots you have in use and what you're adding.  You want pairs, not 3.

What Nealpina said, check the OS version, if it is 64-bit then you can increase the amount of RAM.

The maximum support for this model is 16GB, it only has 2 slots, and the memory fit type depends on the form factor.

Edited by themanstan

I can tell you that there is no need for 32 gigabytes of memory. You can not make the most of the memory, almost no applications can. So take 16 gigabytes and enjoy.

3 hours ago, Holo said:

I can tell you that there is no need for 32 gigabytes of memory. You can not make the most of the memory, almost no applications can. So take 16 gigabytes and enjoy.

Never used Google's chrome browser then?