Oily10

Hard wired dash cam,now have radio interference

I recently hard wired my dash cam from a 12v supply from the rear view mirror loom(see photo) using a 12v to 5v convertor but now suffering from radio interference on FM stations?

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

jRfvBUv.jpg

Fit a decent brand USB adapter, I used the tomtom one in mine and I have no issue.

I'd  wrap it in tin foil (converter itself), it should help :) if doesn't, wrap bare wire around tin foil and tap it onto ground, this should eliminate any radio interference

Edited by crossIwired

21 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

Fit a decent brand USB adapter, I used the tomtom one in mine and I have no issue.

Don't want a USB cable coiled up near the rear view mirror.

13 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

It will be the 12V to 5V converter without a doubt.

I gathered that :lol:

12 hours ago, crossIwired said:

I'd  wrap it in tin foil (converter itself), it should help :) if doesn't, wrap bare wire around tin foil and tap it onto ground, this should eliminate any radio interference

Seriously?I'll give it a go

Who said anything about a USB cable coiled up :)

I took the insides out, soldered a plug onto it under the glove box hidden away and ran the cable up to the mirror, nothing stopping you hiding it in the roof liner but I preferred to tap the ciggy lighter and fit a 5 amp fuse (it feeds my sat nav and my dash cam)

2 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

Who said anything about a USB cable coiled up :)

I took the insides out, soldered a plug onto it under the glove box hidden away and ran the cable up to the mirror, nothing stopping you hiding it in the roof liner but I preferred to tap the ciggy lighter and fit a 5 amp fuse (it feeds my sat nav and my dash cam)

How've you ran the cable upto the mirror from the cig lighter?Seems an awful lot of work

1 screw holds the pillar cover on and then 2 clips, I pulled the door rubber off and fed it behind there, with the pillar cover off you can poke the cable into the roof lining until it pops out the light fitting over the mirror then feed it to the main light unit. It was really easy to do.

For my dashcam I tapped into the 12v at the mirror or lights, can't remember exactly but somewhere up there like OP did.  I just cracked open the original cigarette lighter plug that came with the camera and modified/soldered into it and left it in situ up in the roof liner along with any excess cable. So long as you ensure you insulate correctly it should be good.

Keliuss

13 hours ago, Oily10 said:

Don't want a USB cable coiled up near the rear view mirror.

I gathered that :lol:

Seriously?I'll give it a go

yup, tin foil should work, ferrite magnet not so sure as its used mostly to prevent any interference's between power supply and powered device itself

13 hours ago, Oily10 said:

How've you ran the cable upto the mirror from the cig lighter?Seems an awful lot of work

not so difficult, mate

I've had it done in my E60, all what you need to do is take dash trim out, unclip radio / ac panel, remove ashtray with lighter, tap hardwire cable on the back of lighter socket, guide cable behind glove box, tuck into pillar and under headliner (no need to dismantle anything just use plastic pry tool) and voila ... it took me roughly 30 minutes to do it and guess its the best solution as cig lighters socket remains powered for approx 10 minutes  

5 hours ago, crossIwired said:

cig lighters socket remains powered for approx 10 minutes

Really? Mine power off immediately.

Keliuss

3 hours ago, crossIwired said:

weird...mines in 2010 E60 was on for a few minutes after car was locked

Mines a 2010 and turns off straight away.