falcodub

M5 purchase potentially

Evening all. 

Similar in many ways to Alex's post, but looking for a little reassurance before I take the plunge. 

I have been thinking about an E39 M5 for some years and have "agreed" a purchase of one. 

No money has changed hands as yet. 

My only concern is the 187k miles on the clocks. 

It has a lot of history, current and previous owners have been enthusiasts and known in various M5 forums so I know it has been cared for. 

At least two others have said it's well priced and nothing to worry about. But it's a big deal for me so I still have a minor niggle! 

I guess the question is how many miles can an M5 really handle engine wise? 

Not looking at it like an investment as I want to enjoy the car. That said it'll be lower value in say 5 years time if I cover any sort of mileage as it'll have over 200k on it by then. 

Cheers

Edited by falcodub

You're right about the mileage, at those miles it will be hard to shift on - mine had £167k on it and was a PITA to sell.

My advice is buy it (£8k max.), possibly do rod bearings, chain and guides and then drive the door handles off it. You'll be c.£10k in with a major service (think about diff, gearbox, coolant thermostat etc too). It 'should' do another 50k easily, hopefully much much more. Seesure on here has run one over 200k I think. Worst case, if it goes pop, part it out - even with out a running engine there must be £5k in parts?

If you want an almost guaranteed return, buy a low miler for £15k plus. You won't enjoy it as much though because you'll be too worried about putting miles on it.

If this is the one you told me about the other day, it looks lovely - especially with the interior.

Are you planning on using this as a daily?

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

My first one went to 213k miles without issue, I think the only ‘abnormal’ work I did on it was the propshaft bearing (but even then that hadn’t failed, was just noisy on very cold mornings). 

Only reason I got rid is my current one came up with 100k less miles and immaculate bodywork. 

In some ways I miss the first one as I just drove it and enjoyed, used it all year round come rain or snow and never worried too much about it being filthy a lot of the time.

Current one on 170k miles and just had a full respray so hopefully ready to look good for another 170k miles! 

Buy, enjoy, maintain, enjoy some more.

No not a daily! 

Keeping the trusty old 530d until it rots away. So that's another year maybe!

It's 9k but has had a lot of work recently. 

Tensioner, clutch, suspension etc. 

But no internal engine work. 

I think it's well priced and I would be looking at keeping it a long time if possible but I'm no M5 expert. 

Agreed at lower miles and mint I wouldn't want to use it so pointless in many ways. 

Pic of said car 

Screenshot_20190311_212142.jpg

Edited by falcodub

Yeah saw that. 

Looks like I should be ok judging by the price for that on eBay. 

It was at 6k yesterday which I thought was it's limit

1 hour ago, Davidwood said:

Rough as a badgers arse, and over priced, and if its not worth ML's while to do it up prior to selling it.............?

Oh, and don't bother ringing us up, because we haven't got time to field calls regarding this car, great selling technique guys.

Edited by Steve van hool

Will be watching that Munich Legends eBay car with interest.

I nearly (so nearly!) bought an immaculate, well historied 60k miles Silverstone blue one from them in 2014 for £14,000. 

How times (and values) have changed.

51 minutes ago, DepthHoar said:

Will be watching that Munich Legends eBay car with interest.

I nearly (so nearly!) bought an immaculate, well historied 60k miles Silverstone blue one from them in 2014 for £14,000. 

How times (and values) have changed.

If you look back at posts over the years "experts" on here said we'd seen peak prices.

The truth is things could go either way.

I'm shocked by the one for sale on eBay.
When I first saw it, I thought it looked like a 5k car - tops.
Seems people are willing to pay a decent amount for a low milage example.
At its current auction price (£9.1k) I would expect it would need at least £4k to recommission, combined with the time required.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Vee said:

Seesure on here has run one over 200k I think. Worst case, if it goes pop, part it out - even with out a running engine there must be £5k in parts?

Yes my first one went to 232k... what took it off the road was the chain guides / tensioners which disintegrated. Up to that point it was still pulling hard, although drinking a bit of oil.

It had just (within days) passed an MOT but wasn't worth the hassle of repairing as it would most likely have struggled to pass an MOT 12 months on due to rust - although I'd replaced the right hand vanos about 6 weeks before as it had become a very noisy. The figure for parts for the chain guides etc and doing the work was pushing £3k and that was without finding any other potential damage and my replacement car with half the mileage was only a smidge over £7k so financially it made more sense. 

The MOT tester had also said it was looking a bit "ripe" underneath. All 4 doors had rust along the bottom, rear number plate lights were held in by the rust, rust was working it's way through the bulk head (spotted that when I had a windscreen replaced), rust on both rear arches and sills were pretty rusty.

If you are looking to buy a high miler, all you can really do is to look out for the general condition and look to see if the big service items have all been done.  Ask about oil consumption - both of mine had started drinking a fair bit (1litre per 800 miles) by the time they were 150k miles plus but it's no real biggie unless it's sub 400 miles per litre.

My current car is now just about to hit 180k miles and still goes like the proverbial - although I do have the MOT coming up in the next 4-5 weeks - which will be interesting to see how it fares...

@falcodub

when you posted this i had a feeling it was Mario's old car, he carried out most of the mods himself and it is definitely one of the most heavily loaded M5's around which includes the caramel heritage leather and Full alcantara pack inc parcel shelf! one of the highlights being that it also has 9.6J square setup on the Style 65's which in itself is quite rare. 

It's been well maintained, mileage is high but if you continue to look after/maintain it should still last a very long time... 

best thing would be to take it for a spin and see how you feel, if it pulls hard which i am sure it would then it's a great car! Rodney's a good guy - just hardly gets the chance to use it now that he's moved away... 

1 hour ago, P 5UML said:

@falcodub

when you posted this i had a feeling it was Mario's old car, he carried out most of the mods himself and it is definitely one of the most heavily loaded M5's around which includes the caramel heritage leather and Full alcantara pack inc parcel shelf! one of the highlights being that it also has 9.6J square setup on the Style 65's which in itself is quite rare. 

It's been well maintained, mileage is high but if you continue to look after/maintain it should still last a very long time... 

best thing would be to take it for a spin and see how you feel, if it pulls hard which i am sure it would then it's a great car! Rodney's a good guy - just hardly gets the chance to use it now that he's moved away... 

It is indeed that car and I feel reassured presently.

Mileage is a small concern but I want to enjoy the car not wrap it in cotton wool and store it. 

Hoping to finalize things later today 

10 minutes ago, falcodub said:

It is indeed that car and I feel reassured presently.

Mileage is a small concern but I want to enjoy the car not wrap it in cotton wool and store it. 

Hoping to finalize things later today 

hope it goes well bud - keep us updated :)

On 11/03/2019 at 23:23, Steve van hool said:

Rough as a badgers arse, and over priced, and if its not worth ML's while to do it up prior to selling it.............?

Oh, and don't bother ringing us up, because we haven't got time to field calls regarding this car, great selling technique guys.

I hate people like this

Update on this. 

I have taken the plunge and gone for it.

Drove it home last night. Some niggles but drives so well for the miles under its belt and nothing that I didn't really expect at its price point. 

Interior is just lovely

Screenshot_20190413_132151.jpg

Edited by falcodub

10 minutes ago, falcodub said:

Update on this. 

I have taken the plunge and gone for it.

Drove it home last night. Some niggles but drives so well for the miles under its belt and nothing that I didn't really expect at its price point. 

Interior is just lovely

Screenshot_20190413_132151.jpg

Nice...

Get a projects thread up and more pictures or it never happened :P;):lol: 

5 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Nice...

Get a projects thread up and more pictures or it never happened :P;):lol: 

Haha. Will do. My first wash/bonding session is lined up for tomorrow with a quick once over on everything.

Will want to do a deep clean/clay/polish/wax etc but it's going to have to wait 

2 minutes ago, falcodub said:

Haha. Will do. My first wash/bonding session is lined up for tomorrow with a quick once over on everything.

Will want to do a deep clean/clay/polish/wax etc but it's going to have to wait 

Sounds like a plan 8) 

That's what I do; before I feel it's 'my car' it needs to have a full in-depth clean, inside and out! Feels like I'm in someone else's car until that's done :roll: 

2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Sounds like a plan 8) 

That's what I do; before I feel it's 'my car' it needs to have a full in-depth clean, inside and out! Feels like I'm in someone else's car until that's done :roll: 

Glad I'm not the only one!

Even if it's clean I do it!