Sorry guys if covered somewhere else - oil change time and looking to get the minor parts myself.

Could anyone advise me what parts for an oil change is required in terms of filters etc. and the oem manufacturers?

For something as critical as the oil filter saying pennies by going cheap aftermarket isn't worth it IMO. The added advantage of going genuine is that the oil filter comes as a kit with all the seals and sump washer etc from BMW so you will have everything.

Some of the better(OEM) filters like Mann and Hengst come with all the seals from ECP too I think. 

I priced the service kit (filters only) from BMW with a discount, but it was a lot cheaper to get equivalent Mann filters from ECP. Oil from BMW was ridiculously priced! I used Opie for the oil in the end as I wanted Miller's.

9 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

For something as critical as the oil filter saying pennies by going cheap aftermarket isn't worth it IMO. The added advantage of going genuine is that the oil filter comes as a kit with all the seals and sump washer etc from BMW so you will have everything.

Some of the better(OEM) filters like Mann and Hengst come with all the seals from ECP too I think. 

So for the oil change all I’m needing is the oil itself and the oil filter?

33 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Yes and the necessary tools and the knowledge to reset the service indicator.

Assuming you buy a filter that has the necessary seals etc. 

I’m just going to take to my indy.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F381609948095

This Hengst one would be ok???

Read somehwere they are OEM manufacturers.

Even my E60 oil filter housing was stamped up Hengst.

DSCN0012.jpg

All the other BMW filter housings I've seen do not have a manufacturers name on them but they are generally in a far more accessible location and thus visible than on an N62 engine.

I've checked my diy notes and I didn't record the make of filters I've used when bought from BMW. Atleast one was Hengst. Other was the same or possibly Mann.

I used opie. Guaranteed the correct oil, filter, associated gaskets and sump plug washer. All comes delivered with gloves and a funnel. 

18 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

If it says LL04, fill your sump.

This essentially. Here's a 5w30 synthetic cheapo brand Vs top of the range Red Line Ester oil test. He hasn't got the lab equipment for a proper scientific test, but he does cover the real world properties. 

Edited by Deviant