NisCAPE

E61 - Software update...worth the trouble or not....?

I 've just purchased a E61 2005 plate, I'm also ashamed to admit, its my first BMW ever, but I have to admit, what a beautiful machine it really is.

Cutting a long story short, I was in the south London at a car electronics shop willing to pay a lot of money to have a mObridge usb kit installed, to mitigate my issue of not having an option to play approximately 20Gb of music i have on USB. I was told the fitment was not possible as my car appeared to not have any software updates carried out since it "Birth" 2005. I found this odd, but accepted what i was told, as i believe even though my vehicle has been fully serviced by BMW , theres no stipulation to update the software unless specifically stated otherwise.

I'm looking at upgrading the software, as i've been told by BMW this will enhance the driveability of the vehicle amd modify many others.

More specifically I have also been informed the update would also upgrade the stereo to play Mp3 format files, which would solve my issue (albeit partially) of not being able to play Mp3's at the moment.

My car runs beautifully as it is and wondering how much of a difference this would actually make to the vehicle.

Advice welcome from anyone who has experience of the above.

Cheers.....

The safest (and actually probably the most cost effective) way is to get a Main Dealer to do the update. They have the right interfaces to do the update safely in a couple of hours.

The update does not automatically enable MP3 playback - that needs a bit of additional coding (configuration).

The idrive will seem a lot better after the update and so will the gearbox.

JasonH... Many thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm assuming the BMW main dealer would have knowledge of this additional coding and be happy to incorporate it in the software update.

Would this be correct?!

2 hours ago, NisCAPE said:

JasonH... Many thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm assuming the BMW main dealer would have knowledge of this additional coding and be happy to incorporate it in the software update.

Would this be correct?!

Hi, and welcome to the forum - Whereabouts are you based?  I only ask, as it's not necessary to visit a main dealer for all the updates and coding.  There are a few third party places that ther forum members have used and can recommend.

I'm surprised that the Mobridge dealership couldn't do the required coding for you, as it's a fairly common job, or at least known somebody that could....

Hi Dotcom,

Many thanks for the welcome.

I'm based in Hillingdon/Uxbridge area. After research on this forum and a few others, I've been warned about going to an "Indy" dealer as there's always the possibility of them "bricking"the car.

The Mobridge dealer offered to update the software, with the same caveat, oh and the price tag of £300 plus VAT with a waiting time of 2 days for the update maximum.

I ran from the premises as fast as I could.

I'm hoping, the software update will improve driveability and maybe enable me to play MP3.

Fingers crossed off course!

I've not had it done so am only speaking from having read about it elsewhere but updating the Idrive/radio can take quite a few hours apparently. The car needs to be hooked up to an external power source, as losing power half way through can brick the unit. I've heard it usually gets hooked up in the evening and update is done overnight. Not sure why someone would need it for 2 days. The reason it takes so long is data transfer speeds via the OBD interface is dog slow.

Keliuss

Mine took 2 hours but it had CIC not CCC, not many places will update the CCC Idrive system as it is a gamble on it surviving the update.

Hi Keliuss, 

Many thanks for your input. I've heard the same too, my trusted local BMW appears confident, the update should go "swimmingly" well, as they've done many in the past few years, without one failing. As the software is original BMW, its rigourously tried and tested, and will update, bespoke to my car and it's tolerances to the software....... Let's see. I've got it booked in for Wednesday morning.

If you are using the dealer level BMW software it will usually want to upgrade the whole car to the latest version to ensure everything is compatible.

Through just the OBD2 socket on the E61 that can take 17 hours or longer. If it fails you have to start again. It the PSU attached to the car is not substantial enough to keep everything fully powered for this period then modules can get bricked.

Main dealers and some independents have a better interface now that can do the job in under 2 hours.

Adding MP3 used to be a common request. Even then it was beyond some Main Dealers.

Is there a chance when doing this update that it may also include a VW esque software fudge to improve emissions, have the egr working overtime and generally ruining throttle response whilst reducing fuel efficiency? 

Many VW/Skoda etc owners wish they'd never bothered.....worth finding out.

Edited by wakey

14 minutes ago, wakey said:

Is there a chance when doing this update that it may also include a VW esque software fudge to improve emissions, have the egr working overtime and generally ruining throttle response whilst reducing fuel efficiency? 

Many VW/Skoda etc owners wish they'd never bothered.....worth finding out.

Nope. BMW didn't fudge the emissions tests. The later software in general is better than the old - no downsides.

Did the CCC software update mostly because of the VIN number change as it was retrofited from another car. It took 1hr 47 minutes using Icom clone. Dealer in Northern Ireland asked £240 to do a software update. I did it myself instead. Regarding the coding most dealers(I suppose) are only using ISTA's built in coding options(CKM- car key memory) but the options are limited. If you want some extras you need to find someone who does the coding. Carly helps, but it doesn't always work. Software updates won't harm your car, it will benefit from it. Same as a Windows PC it has updates available once in a while so does the BM. Regarding the MP3 option. There is a plug/socket at the back of the CCC/mask that you can use as a AUX in port, but you would have to follow a guide how to do it or get someone to do it for you. At first I thought only option to be able to play MP3's  is by using Dension gateway, but learning more about the wiring and sound system generally it's not needed....

On 3/12/2019 at 10:46 AM, JasonH said:

Nope. BMW didn't fudge the emissions tests. The later software in general is better than the old - no downsides. 

JasonH, you just saved me from a minor heart attack. :D

12 hours ago, Biotoxic said:

Did the CCC software update mostly because of the VIN number change as it was retrofited from another car. It took 1hr 47 minutes using Icom clone. Dealer in Northern Ireland asked £240 to do a software update. I did it myself instead. Regarding the coding most dealers(I suppose) are only using ISTA's built in coding options(CKM- car key memory) but the options are limited. If you want some extras you need to find someone who does the coding. Carly helps, but it doesn't always work. Software updates won't harm your car, it will benefit from it. Same as a Windows PC it has updates available once in a while so does the BM. Regarding the MP3 option. There is a plug/socket at the back of the CCC/mask that you can use as a AUX in port, but you would have to follow a guide how to do it or get someone to do it for you. At first I thought only option to be able to play MP3's  is by using Dension gateway, but learning more about the wiring and sound system generally it's not needed.... 

Biotoxic,

Many thanks for you input above, some really good information here - I've purposely steered clear of the aux input solution, as i want to be able to play high quality audio (from my usb or otherwise) incorporating my idrive system.

Dension is quite expensive solution, just as much as the mObridge i was quoted.

I'm hoping this software update resolves this issue for me.

Forgot to mention, error codes might cause some problems, but they are usually checked and cleared before software update. You could ask for a printout after Integration level update. It's being kept in a computer and can be seen just by typing in the vin. It will say if and what modules were updated or not by comparing software number. You might also notice smoother gearbox changes and other bits an pieces. If your car was remapped it will clear the map tho. Usually the remapping place will be able to restore the map free of charge.

Edited by Biotoxic

1 hour ago, Biotoxic said:

Forgot to mention, error codes might cause some problems, but they are usually checked and cleared before software update. You could ask for a printout after Integration level update. It's being kept in a computer and can be seen just by typing in the vin. It will say if and what modules were updated or not by comparing software number. You might also notice smoother gearbox changes and other bits an pieces. If your car was remapped it will clear the map tho. Usually the remapping place will be able to restore the map free of charge.

46 minutes ago, Biotoxic said:

See attachment as an example for the Final report of a failed update.

20181221_162836_FinalReport_With_faults.pdf

Biotoxic,

Again, some great information which will be useful to know for future reference.

The engineer carrying out the software update said he'd provide me with a printout, which will state what's been updated and to what level.

- I did ask him to code the vehicle as well for MP3 functionality. he said he'd give it a go, but couldn't promise it would work, as it was would be purely dependant on the my car being able to have that function enabled?

So not sure what to think about this......I guess i'll just have to wait until its done, the cars' been with him since 11am, i've not had a call yet... :?::wacko:

21 minutes ago, NisCAPE said:

Biotoxic,

Again, some great information which will be useful to know for future reference.

The engineer carrying out the software update said he'd provide me with a printout, which will state what's been updated and to what level.

- I did ask him to code the vehicle as well for MP3 functionality. he said he'd give it a go, but couldn't promise it would work, as it was would be purely dependant on the my car being able to have that function enabled?

So not sure what to think about this......I guess i'll just have to wait until its done, the cars' been with him since 11am, i've not had a call yet... :?::wacko:

No problemo. You might get your car back tomorrow if there would be some kind of problems. Be advised the car will have to re-learn  the values so for some 200 miles or so and after that post your review. The thing he said it's the CKM settings. It means the dealership is limited to just the original coding and retrofits/upgrades will be a problem for them. I will post as screenshot later on about the values. If you get INPA d-can/K-Dcan cable and set up the software that usually comes with it I would be able to remotely code the MP3 support into the ccc if needed. Costs about £25 quid for a decent cable from eBay. There is a post about one of the suppliers on this site's main page.

20190313_182241.thumb.jpg.a75955e35cc8160d63b8e0105eefc8e7.jpg20190313_182313.thumb.jpg.8c4960ddcf6c81e5383b3abf427d37d2.jpg20190313_182417.thumb.jpg.af8230b26b5115d7c7a450ee07e2681e.jpgSo, Got my car back, at the garages closing time 7pm. ECU flashed succesfully.

Pros - Immediately noticed improvement with the gearbox, silky smooth transitions from gears at better ratios i would say.

The CD player was intermittent prior to the update, but works every time now.

My key fob strangely enough, works so much better and from about ten yards away, which it didn't do before.

Cons - Unable to retrofit the MP3 plaback function....:cry:

I've taken photos of the printout he gave me to refer to, I've attached them below.....20190313_182213.thumb.jpg.188ad316dd9bd942f4d579305c9e1b3e.jpg

6 hours ago, Biotoxic said:

I will post as screenshot later on about the values. If you get INPA d-can/K-Dcan cable and set up the software that usually comes with it I would be able to remotely code the MP3 support into the ccc if needed. Costs about £25 quid for a decent cable from eBay. There is a post about one of the suppliers on this site's main page.

Biotoxic,

I'd love to know how to do this, whilst i'm confident with computers, i'm a complete novice with cars, Last thing i want to do is "Brick" the car after its been upgraded.

If  "you hold my hand" i'll definitely give it a go. :D:mrgreen: