NuckingFuts

Braided brake hoses

Does anyone know if the length and flare of braided hoses are the same across all E39s for the fronts? 

I have a HEL pair from my 530d and was wondering if they could be used on the 540i touring since I no longer have the diesel. 

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information online and realoem only state the part number and not the length or size of bolts/flare of hoses. 

Cheers.

Deepan

14 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Spoke to a couple of friends and had a deeper look into realoem, and it looks like the front hoses are the same across all the E39 chassis'. That's a great tidbit of information, and helps as now I can use the 530d braided lines I have on my 540i. 

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?id=DJ62-EUR-09-1997-E39-BMW-540i&mg=34&sg=15&diagId=34_0715&q=34301165249&series=E39

However, now I'm having trouble getting my brake lines off of the calipers. 20 or so years of dirt and crap seem to have them stuck on. 

If anyone has advice on getting them off, that would be appreciated. 

Cheers.

NF aka Deepan 

Edited by NuckingFuts

1 minute ago, NuckingFuts said:

Spoke to a couple of friends and had a deeper look into realoem, and it looks like the front hoses are the same across all the E39 chassis'. That's a great tidbit of information, and helps as now I can use the 530d braided lines I have on my 540i. 

However, now I'm having trouble getting my brake lines off of the calipers. 20 or so years of dirt and crap seem to have them stuck on. 

If anyone has advice on getting them off, that would be appreciated. 

Cheers.

NF aka Deepan 

Might be easier to cut the OEM line and then with the caliper off, get the line end off.

Worth Rost Off is great penetration fluid, better than WD40 so get some of that via Amazon if you can

IMO, order some replacement bleed nipples via Brakes International or eBay, may as well take advantage whilst the calipers off to replace the bits that can cause issues further down the line

Or, don’t do that, but prefer replacement calipers from Brakes International or your local motorfactors and then remove the caliper, leave the cut brake line in situ and they’ll sort that at their own end

1 minute ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Might be easier to cut the OEM line and then with the caliper off, get the line end off.

Worth Rost Off is great penetration fluid, better than WD40 so get some of that via Amazon if you can

IMO, order some replacement bleed nipples via Brakes International or eBay, may as well take advantage whilst the calipers off to replace the bits that can cause issues further down the line

Or, don’t do that, but prefer replacement calipers from Brakes International or your local motorfactors and then remove the caliper, leave the cut brake line in situ and they’ll sort that at their own end

The M5 calipers I have are already off the car, so I'm trying to get the already cut line off. I'll look at getting new nipples and the rust off. 

Thanks. 

I find laying the caliper nipple up and spraying with good quality penetration oil over a few days normally works. If removed from  the car.

We sprayed our 540 brakes (been standing since 2001) with penetration oil over a week  and all the nipples and hoses came off sweet ...

The braided hoses are on! 

Pretty easy once mr hammer got involved. 

I'll still look into new nipples, because who doesn't love nipples? ;) :D 

Can anyone recommend a brand of kit for bleeding the brakes? Or someone local to Heathrow that will come to me to do it? Time paid for in shekels or beer tokens, or a slap up meal. 

Muchos thanks

NF aka Deepan 

2F7B8923-AE2C-4789-AF16-3343F6EBD214.jpeg

0CB0C7C6-2680-46FF-96D0-5A1E36553B2F.jpeg

No need to buy special bleeding kits.

Literally get an old glass jar/pop bottle. Drill a hole in the top and feed through some rubber tubing which will fit over the bleed nipple. Then drill another small hole in the top of the lid to let air escape. Then por some fresh brake fluid in the bottle to cover the bottom of the hose/tube and this ensure no air is sucked back in.

I've used this method for years on my own and works a treat.

20190302_113125.jpg

Edited by Marc_86
Image added

So i bought the Sealey Pressure Bleeder and I need to get new brake fluid (i'll probably go for dot 5.1 fluid 2litres) but just for clarification, once i attach the pressure bleeder to the tank in the bay, Do i go round and repeat the same process in this video for each corner, or can i do them all simultaneously? 

I've never bled brakes myself so i'm new to this process, looking for a noddy guide to pressure bleeding. 

Cheers. 

32 minutes ago, NuckingFuts said:

So i bought the Sealey Pressure Bleeder and I need to get new brake fluid (i'll probably go for dot 5.1 fluid 2litres) but just for clarification, once i attach the pressure bleeder to the tank in the bay, Do i go round and repeat the same process in this video for each corner, or can i do them all simultaneously? 

I've never bled brakes myself so i'm new to this process, looking for a noddy guide to pressure bleeding. 

Cheers. 

This gadget you have basically forces fresh fluid through all the lines and ensures that no air is sucked back in.

All this device is doing is keeping the master cylinder topped up all the time and pushing fluid through.

So yes, start with nsr, osr, nsf and then osf.

HTH

Just now, Marc_86 said:

This gadget you have basically forces fresh fluid through all the lines and ensures that no air is sucked back in.

All this device is doing is keeping the master cylinder topped up all the time and pushing fluid through.

So yes, start with nsr, osr, nsf and then osf.

HTH

So I keep the device connected to the reserviour and bleed one corner at a time until the colour of the fluid changes? 

Cheers

Just now, NuckingFuts said:

So I keep the device connected to the reserviour and bleed one corner at a time until the colour of the fluid changes? 

Cheers

Spot on...thats the one.

This device is basically the same way as normal bleeding...it just keeps a constant fresh supply of fluid going through...rather than the MC running empty and bringing even more air into the lines.

1 minute ago, Marc_86 said:

Spot on...thats the one.

This device is basically the same way as normal bleeding...it just keeps a constant fresh supply of fluid going through...rather than the MC running empty and bringing even more air into the lines.

Great. 

Thanks for your advice. 

I'll wait for @Vee to send over the caliper rebuild kit, get that done and then mount and bleed. 

Much appreciated. 

I'll let you know how i get on. 

Deepan

Just now, Marc_86 said:

Also...is dot 4 not the preferred fluid for our cars?

Could be wrong though???

I think it is, but according to the googles dot 5.1 is backwards compatible and has a higher boiling point for dry and wet conditions. 

https://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/resources/faq/difference-between-dot4-and-dot51-brake-fluid/

They're both the same price, so might as well go for the newer one as opposed to the older ones. 

Cheers. 

1 minute ago, NuckingFuts said:

I think it is, but according to the googles dot 5.1 is backwards compatible and has a higher boiling point for dry and wet conditions. 

https://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/resources/faq/difference-between-dot4-and-dot51-brake-fluid/

They're both the same price, so might as well go for the newer one as opposed to the older ones. 

Cheers. 

Makes sense i suppose.

F*cking c*nt nugget. 

So got both pistons out, cleaned everything and got them pretty much all done-ish. 

One bleed nipple is stuck. There's a 9mm bleed nipple half in/half out and it's been like that before I got my hands on them, and it won't come off. Spanner/wrench spanner / sockets just slip off, can't get the bleedin thing off. 

I'm right at the end of repairing all the issues from hitting the kerb and this bugger stops everything. 

Now I'm sat looking for a replacement pair of front calipers. 

:oops::cry:

18 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

Heat then freeze spray m8, if it snaps you can drill into it and use an extractor.

Sadly i don't have the expertise to do that safely and I don't want to potentially break it, seeing as it was working well before I took it off the M5. I've got a pair of calipers coming from a friend from the E39 Club UK, and i'll pop those on. 

I'll compare them to the existing ones I have, and potentially he may take my ones to sort out the bleed nipple if possible so hopefully I may not be out cost wise too much. 

I can see the light, be it faint, at the end of the tunnel.