PliSsK

Radio Cassette Intermittent Functioning

Everything was working normally when listening to a tape and then all of a sudden the volume is more muffled from tape, but fine with CD changer and radio. I cleaned the heads and demagnetised the tape deck but now there is no display from the stereo even when changing modes, and pressing mode does nothing most of the time, it remains in CD mode. It is possible to get certain tapes to play more than others but it requires multiple presses of the mode button. Additionally, if I push the tone button on the right of the screen to adjust the tone and front/rear balance, nothing happens. Is this something that can be easily fixed? Is it likely to be a loose wire problem? I did a coolant change a few days before and had to disconnect the battery 3 times in order to get the temp sensor to work normally after each drain and fill, and wonder if this might have caused the problem. Cheers.

Edited by PliSsK

11 minutes ago, DepthHoar said:

Cassettes!

I'm told they're becoming a 'thing', same as happened to vinyl.

(Not a hipster by any chance..?)

lol E39s! I'm told they're becoming a thing and coming back in style.

Edited by PliSsK

It depends on ur gender lol

I'm not forking out for a grand's worth of ice when I need to spend £2.5k to fix oil seeping out of every seal of the engine and I'm trying to put that off and still haven't ever had the wheels refurbed.

Edited by PliSsK

Blimey owning an e39 makes you a hipster now that’s a scary thought. Better go buy some brilcream.

Really does sound like typical head unit failure. The cpus are flakey and irreplaceable so either replace the cassette unit part and wait for that to fail or bite the bullet and buy a £200 full screen ‘Chinese ‘ unit off EBay. I did and don’t regret it.

Here is a youtube video with an identical looking sat nav display / tape deck / radio to mine. The Mode and tape deck buttons are unresponsive most of the time, same for Tone and Select buttons. Tape does work intermittently. The menu screens from the right 'Menu' button all work. Tbh I never stopped using tapes, always had a tape deck in my cars, E39s, E46, etc., have some old tapes I still play, some old albums were only available on tape as it was an unpopular format for years. As the CD does work still, I'll hold off upgrading it for now until the CD changer finally dies. Any suggestions for an aftermarket option are appreciated. My original plan was to get some MP3 USB interface for the original stereo and start using that once the CD changer died but that's probably not worth it at this stage. I have Mk4 Sat Nav in boot which needs the laser fixing as it won't detect the CD anymore so am using a Garmin on the windscreen instead as it wasn't worth fixing the BMW Nav unit for that money as it would still be dated.

Edited by PliSsK