d_a_n1979

BMW E39 530i sport touring - front suspension part numbers/recommendations

I've searched but come up with lots of conflicting info

Please can someone let me know which shocks and springs to go for, for my 530i touring - it's currently on worn OEM Mtec II shocks and springs etc, so want to replace them like for like, so to speak

Cheers

Edited by d_a_n1979

1 hour ago, Marc_86 said:

You not going for coilovers again?

There is that in mind; can get JOM front coilovers from ECP for £130; they could sort it for the short term I'd say

However, I don't know anyone with INPA that can sort the rear end either!

Don't want a silly raked look :lol: 

14 minutes ago, amazighman said:

I have always thought that you had a saloon m sport not an estate

No such thing as an E39 M Sport unless you're in North America ;):P

How far behind are you on here too :lol:;) 

https://www.bilstein.com/uk/en/product/bilstein-b6/  

i fitted b8s but (b6s are a direct replacement for sport struts )with https://www.eibachshop.co.uk/eibach-prokit-performance-spring-kit-e2053140_p31223139.htm#.XIPui7jgqUk

but i wanted a little drop on the front , the kit above also available for touring 2x springs

as for oem springs relacement the steelers is the only place to match up springs, thay are marked with a code in paint   3 strips of paint according to the spec of the car

not sure if r-oem lists spring part numbers

4 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I've searched but come up with lots of conflicting info

Please can someone let me know which shocks and springs to go for, for my 530i touring - it's currently on worn OEM Mtec II shocks and springs etc, so want to replace them like for like, so to speak

Cheers

Call BMW, give them your chassis, order your shocks and springs. 

2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Defected to Mercedes but i have still got my E39  and not happy with Mercedes ....

Have you got a touring now?

1 hour ago, eb88 said:

Call BMW, give them your chassis, order your shocks and springs. 

Yeah... Ok :roll:

Edited by d_a_n1979

Your opening question was "I want to replace my suspension parts with like for like but confused how to do so" if you can't afford BMW parts, then use Sachs. I wouldn't fit any other rubbish, if you want a sportier ride, buy a sports car. 

1 hour ago, eb88 said:

Your opening question was "I want to replace my suspension parts with like for like but confused how to do so" if you can't afford BMW parts, then use Sachs. I wouldn't fit any other rubbish, if you want a sportier ride, buy a sports car. 

Please understand; I'm well versed with the E39s :)

I was simply asking which are the correct dampers to be used for Mtec II; I've never had to replace these specifics before, always gone down the coilovers route

At no point did Im say I was confused; I stated that there is/was a lot of conflicting info... 

4 hours ago, amazighman said:

Defected to Mercedes but i have still got my E39  and not happy with Mercedes ....

Have you got a touring now?

Hell yeah :mrgreen: 

6 hours ago, supertramp101 said:

https://www.bilstein.com/uk/en/product/bilstein-b6/  

i fitted b8s but (b6s are a direct replacement for sport struts )with https://www.eibachshop.co.uk/eibach-prokit-performance-spring-kit-e2053140_p31223139.htm#.XIPui7jgqUk

but i wanted a little drop on the front , the kit above also available for touring 2x springs

as for oem springs relacement the steelers is the only place to match up springs, thay are marked with a code in paint   3 strips of paint according to the spec of the car

not sure if r-oem lists spring part numbers

Thanks; I won't be going down the Bilstein route, the prices are just daft IMO

When I changed mine on my saloon, I used the part numbers for Mtec I as I couldn't find Mtec II shocks. I'll try to find the thread and link it

Edit:

Edited by Qasim

55 minutes ago, Qasim said:

When I changed mine on my saloon, I used the part numbers for Mtec I as I couldn't find Mtec II shocks. I'll try to find the thread and link it

Edit:

Thanks poal; found a local to me reseller via eBay that has the Sachs shock absorbers in for Mtec cars; so will probably order those

Need a replacement bump stop kit too, any suggestions?

Put the part number into Google and have a look around. I got one pair from autodoc and the other from onlinecarparts. From front and rear it worked out to around 400 with new top mounts.

I think you might want to change the upper and lower spring seats, my lowers were gone and I forgot to order them so went without as the dealers were closed and it was a weekend

1 hour ago, Qasim said:

Put the part number into Google and have a look around. I got one pair from autodoc and the other from onlinecarparts. From front and rear it worked out to around 400 with new top mounts.

I think you might want to change the upper and lower spring seats, my lowers were gone and I forgot to order them so went without as the dealers were closed and it was a weekend

I've found the bump stop kit via Monroe, eBay again

Will look into the spring seats; cheers 

14 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Please understand; I'm well versed with the E39s :)

I was simply asking which are the correct dampers to be used for Mtec II; I've never had to replace these specifics before, always gone down the coilovers route

At no point did Im say I was confused; I stated that there is/was a lot of conflicting info... 

You'll find after doing more research, Mtec II shocks are BMW only. The response from ZF who own Sachs, who supply BMW, is attached. This is a very old debate that's been answered time and time again the world over. If you want Mtec II shocks, you'll need to order them from BMW. You won't notice the difference between I & II. If you want more answers, ask the manufactures direct.

If you can't afford BMW, the closest you'll get on the aftermarket are Sachs 556834. I've run them on my 530i, compared to knackered old shocks, you'll be more than happy. Heads up: BMW value line top mounts are cheaper than aftermarket and come with a hardware kit.

Sach Response.JPG

20171023_205041.jpg

20171024_212232.jpg

20171024_214522.jpg

20171108_193558.jpg

20171020_165514.jpg

Found these on eBay using the Sachs numbers: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-SACHS-HEAVY-DUTY-FRONT-SHOCK-ABSORBERS-DUST-COVER-KIT-BMW-5-E39/264032164946?epid=9025698031&hash=item3d798b1c52:g:U~sAAOSwGoBb5gHJ

Everything needed by the looks of it. Spring pads on top, nice clean swap over 

i would also do the top mounts as well + new rubber spring mounts

i did the lot and with the all the front arms and steering arms

1 hour ago, supertramp101 said:

i would also do the top mounts as well + new rubber spring mounts

i did the lot and with the all the front arms and steering arms

Already on the list, cheers

On 09/03/2019 at 16:32, d_a_n1979 said:

I’ve 

On 09/03/2019 at 16:32, d_a_n1979 said:

I’ve got inpa here in St. Helens if you need to lower the rear or for any other uses pa soft/ncs ecpert, coding etc

14 minutes ago, e34m525i said:

I’ve 

I’ve got inpa here in St. Helens if you need to lower the rear or for any other uses pa soft/ncs ecpert, coding etc

Thanks pal, appreciated

1 hour ago, Amy`s daddy said:

Hi e34m525i, would you be able to use your INPA to check if the aux heater is working on my car.

Drop him a PM pal, he may not see this (click on his name & then press send message)