Sign in to follow this  
Mr530d

Is my car G30 or G31

G30 is the one you don't want and G31 is the correct version to have ;-) 

However the correct answer is the G30 is the saloon and G31 is the touring

I always thought touring meant estate but when i did a google race cars showed up with all the stickers lol can you explain in more detail please. I really dont have a clue about cars, only bought mine because it was the closest car seller to my house and i liked the test drive

53 minutes ago, E39mad said:

G30 is the one you don't want and G31 is the correct version to have ;-) 

However the correct answer is the G30 is the saloon and G31 is the touring

Depending on your point of view the estate sorry touring G31 is the one you don’t want the saloon G30 is the one to have....:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Mr530d said:

I always thought touring meant estate but when i did a google race cars showed up with all the stickers lol can you explain in more detail please. I really dont have a clue about cars, only bought mine because it was the closest car seller to my house and i liked the test drive

Nah, is this legit? I was adamant that people that have no interest in cars and driving in general always end up at a Peugeot dealership...

G30 = Saloon/Sedan - 4 door vehicle with a boot space which is separate to the rest of the cabin. Folding seats are an option. 

G31 = Touring/Estate. Elongated roofline allowing the bootsoce to be integrated into the cabin. Car comes with a hatchback tailgate. Touring Cars are a racing championship of road legal equivalents. They are usually saloons participating (Volvo did enter an estate around 20 years ago). Audi uses the name Avant for its estates, Americans use the term wagon.

there is also a G32. This is the 6 Series Gran Tourismo. Heavily based on the 5 Series, this is a taller, longer model with a coupe roofline and a hatchback tailgate, designed to be more stylish than an estate and more practical than a saloon. Rather nice car tbh.

Edited by sjak92

I’m not sure on the 6GT...it’s miles ahead of the old 5GT, which was hideous, but there’s still something wrong with it proportionally I think.

I’d rather have a well-spec’d G31 if given the choice I think, but I’m in no need for an estate so I’ll still with the saloon option :D

1 hour ago, Back2Beemer said:

I’m not sure on the 6GT...it’s miles ahead of the old 5GT, which was hideous, but there’s still something wrong with it proportionally I think.

I’d rather have a well-spec’d G31 if given the choice I think, but I’m in no need for an estate so I’ll still with the saloon option :D

Have you driven a G32? More like a 7 in terms of comfort. A standard M sport 530d comes with Pan Roof, Adaptive LEDs and Comfort Seats as standard. Higher more comnding position behind the steerings wheel. In the flesh and in the right colour, its a very nice looking car, for me anyway, and looks are subjective I know.

But fiannce wise, in the same spec, its a good couple £k cheaper than a G31.

4 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Have you driven a G32? More like a 7 in terms of comfort. A standard M sport 530d comes with Pan Roof, Adaptive LEDs and Comfort Seats as standard. Higher more comnding position behind the steerings wheel. In the flesh and in the right colour, its a very nice looking car, for me anyway, and looks are subjective I know.

But fiannce wise, in the same spec, its a good couple £k cheaper than a G31.

I half looked at the 5series GT years ago, and I wasn't quite sure about its looks. I thought the 6 looked better, and had added it to my list to look at. The roof is slightly lower, and the roofline a bit "curvier". Till I opened the doors. I get frameless doors on sports cars and convertibles, but I just don't think they work on the 6. I'll go back and look again but not sure I can get past them at the moment.

The new X5 on the other hand...

18 hours ago, G Whizz said:

I get frameless doors on sports cars and convertibles, but I just don't think they work on the 6.

Whats wrong with frameless doors? Easier to clean windows, easier to tint them. Makes getting in and out of tight spaces easier too as you can drop the window and there is no frame to squeeze past.

The X5 is a different generation in terms of design and a different league in terms or pricing. No competative offers on the so far afaic

37 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

Whats wrong with frameless doors? Easier to clean windows, easier to tint them. Makes getting in and out of tight spaces easier too as you can drop the window and there is no frame to squeeze past.

The X5 is a different generation in terms of design and a different league in terms or pricing. No competative offers on the so far afaic

Just a taste thing - to each his own and all that! I'm a grumpy old git after all :-)

No, did look to see if anyone was discounting and couldn't find anyone at all when I looked. I'm hoping that now the X7 is here that it'll ease up the pricing of the X5 over the next few months. I'm probably swapping cars Q3 or Q4 this year so awhile yet. Not seen the X7 yet but am curious. The X5 is so nice, I can't decide what they'll do to the X7 to justify the even bigger price.

42 minutes ago, G Whizz said:

Just a taste thing - to each his own and all that! I'm a grumpy old git after all :-)

No, did look to see if anyone was discounting and couldn't find anyone at all when I looked. I'm hoping that now the X7 is here that it'll ease up the pricing of the X5 over the next few months. I'm probably swapping cars Q3 or Q4 this year so awhile yet. Not seen the X7 yet but am curious. The X5 is so nice, I can't decide what they'll do to the X7 to justify the even bigger price.

An X7 is just a 7 series in SUV form that can sit up to 7 (or 6 with individual seats in the middle row) very plush car. Reviews in America (where the segment is for this kind of thing) seem to suggest it trumps everything currently on offer in the "full size" SUV segment.

Not sure they will sell that well here. Even bigger than a full size Range Rover, more or less the same size a the LWB Range Rover - they are massive!

1 hour ago, Paddy O'Furniture said:

And fugly as hell with that maaaahooosive grille. 

Wait to see one in the flesh.

People said X5 was ugly, 7 is ugly, X7 is ugly. But in the flash, they look fine.

Really stupid approah where people expect a massive car to have the grill size of an e39/e46. Becuase having a huge bumper with nothing on it would please everyone eh?

4 hours ago, sjak92 said:

An X7 is just a 7 series in SUV form that can sit up to 7 (or 6 with individual seats in the middle row) very plush car. Reviews in America (where the segment is for this kind of thing) seem to suggest it trumps everything currently on offer in the "full size" SUV segment.

Not sure they will sell that well here. Even bigger than a full size Range Rover, more or less the same size a the LWB Range Rover - they are massive!

I think there lies a potential issue. The X5 & X7 have the same space for the front and the 2nd row (albeit the X7 has slightly greater headroom). The extra length is for either the 3rd row or a larger boot. Is that going to be too little for too much more - I think the X7 is about 20% more, at least in the US...?