pidgeonpost

Anyone see a trend here?

My understanding is the Nissan and Honda announcements had more to do with the 0% trade deal on car imports between the eu and Japan than anything else that’s going on. They would more than likely have pulled out regardless (I wonder which eu countries benefit most from that deal...)

The BMW announcement is really the first that could be attributed to the current predicament.

To be fair, there is no guarantee that BMW would continue production of the Mini in the UK if we had decided to remain in the EU either.. The Mini is at the bottom end of BMW products being made in an expensive country. There are cheaper countries in the EU in which to build their entry level car.

16 minutes ago, pidgeonpost said:

I wouldn't like to attribute these decisions entirely to the possibility that we may leave the EU, but it gives these manufacturers a bloody good excuse whatever their reasons. 

Very likely this thread will bring out the worst in forum members.  As I can see this thread going in one direction

Edited by nealpina

Geneva MotorShow this week therefore a lot of the big chiefs are making noises.  I was talking to someone at Nissan the day when they announced it, and he said (I knew some of this already) that the Asia market is in high demand and they have plenty of land to build on. 

One thing that has not been mentioned is Ford.  They ship cars made in the EU to South Africa and back again to finish production.  Therefore it does make the Customs Union argument somewhat  weak.

If the plants do close then why can’t we develop with Australia, and be a world leader of Ammonia Fuel

Edited by nealpina

The motor industry is in a state of flux. Cars as we know them will soon become historical curiosities but the format for the next generation is uncertain.. No manufacturer can afford to commit to make the next Betamax. I think that we can all agree that diesel is well on its way out and petrol will follow it. to be followed by either some kind of hybrid, battery, or fuel cell powered vehicle. I need to buy myself a new van but am reluctant to buy a diesel when I know that Ford are currently testing their PHEV Transit with a 1 litre petrol engine, I tend to keep my vans for a long time so would like to buy one with a future I suspect that many buyers like me are sitting on their money too.. This is only one factor affecting the motor industry at this time, along with self driving cars, emerging markets, cheaper countries to manufacture in and yes, Brexit

1 hour ago, Karl said:

To be fair, there is no guarantee that BMW would continue production of the Mini in the UK if we had decided to remain in the EU either.. The Mini is at the bottom end of BMW products being made in an expensive country. There are cheaper countries in the EU in which to build their entry level car.

The UK car manufacturing industry has been screwed since the 90s (if not before) - look at Ford

With regard to the Mini, it is a little odd that the blame is put on potential 'bolstered border checks and the threat of extra tariffs'. If the UK were to impose them on components, it would be rather like shooting ourselves in the foot.

9 hours ago, nealpina said:

The UK car manufacturing industry has been screwed since the 90s (if not before) - look at Ford

Really? It was doing very well until recently from high tech racing right through to manufacturing. However we're now in the worse possible position to continue in the place we were with no certainty over what manufacturers will be doing come March 29th. 

The car industry and government led targets have screwed the industry 

Diesel has been pushed for years with incentives for the normal person to own, but hopping from euro 4,5 and 6 spec costs the manufacturer billions, and with the tech moving so fast diesels have become very unreliable ..they have become the headache nobody wants. Some manufacturers pulled out of making Diesel engines cars before brexit was thought of .

Diesel now being the devils work, government and now pushing toward electric and hybrids..

There are many pros and cons, but for the manufacturers it’s an upheaval like never before in the trade and apart from the Asia. Manufacturers they have all got twitchy... 

Along with a huge problem the industry is having finding people to repair the cars once they are made ..

For many years dealers and Indy’s have paid rubbish wages for a difficult job that takes years of training and costs thousands to tool up for , consequently nobody wants to do it..

This has led to a serious lack of techs ...every dealer and a lot of Indy’s are advertising constantly..I know of over a dozen locally that will take techs on but can’t find them..

It’s a perfect storm, and many in the industry, many will use brexit as a scapegoat as their collective knees knock at the next 5 years in the trade