Sign in to follow this  
A2EEM

Spotify on Android

As of this morning, I've been able to control Spotify from the steering controls and the iDrive. I've had my G30 for 2 months now, but up until this morning I haven't been able to get Spotify to work using the app within iDrive. The only way was to connect my phone android phone via bluetooth and use bluetooth audio. The Spotify App within the iDrive displays my playlists and album art.

I also opened the Spotify App on my phone to get a warning along with a BMW logo that i shouldn't be using the App whilst i'm driving but I could unlock the App at my own risk.

Does anyone else see an improvement or am I just late to the party?

Mine works(ish) using the normal drive control, nothing from the thumb control on the steering wheel though.

The IOS version is a fraction better than the Android one nowadays, the connected-drive one that you have to pay for is actually really good - I'm just not sure it's worth £160/year.

Once upon a time this worked no problem, but a Spotify update broke the integration so it didn't work at all.

Has your Spotify App recently been updated?

I rolled mine back to 8.4.78.530 a while back to restore the functionality.

24 minutes ago, CFD said:

Once upon a time this worked no problem, but a Spotify update broke the integration so it didn't work at all.

Has your Spotify App recently been updated?

I rolled mine back to 8.4.78.530 a while back to restore the functionality.

My version is 8.4.94.817. Not sure when it was downloaded BUT i have a Spotify update waiting for download in the Play Store which is version 8.4.95.785.

12 minutes ago, A2EEM said:

My version is 8.4.94.817. Not sure when it was downloaded BUT i have a Spotify update waiting for download in the Play Store which is version 8.4.95.785.

It is not beyond the realms of possibility that .785 will break the integration again tbh.

1 hour ago, CFD said:

It is not beyond the realms of possibility that .785 will break the integration again tbh.

That's what i'm thinking.

I'll try the version you are on as the version i was using this morning was a little sketchy. When the traffic report came on the music didn't continue once the report was over. Had to physically press play from the phone. 

2 hours ago, A2EEM said:

That's what i'm thinking.

I'll try the version you are on as the version i was using this morning was a little sketchy. When the traffic report came on the music didn't continue once the report was over. Had to physically press play from the phone. 

Temper your expectations. The release I'm on isn't exactly rock steady. It works for the most part though. YMMV.

It's not as fast as the iOS version but it's a dramatic step forward because it's worked for me with my S9 five times in a row without disconnections! Finally! 

And doesn't seem to require Connected Drive to be unlocked either. Might be able to dump the iPhone mule....

20 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

It's not as fast as the iOS version but it's a dramatic step forward because it's worked for me with my S9 five times in a row without disconnections! Finally! 

And doesn't seem to require Connected Drive to be unlocked either. Might be able to dump the iPhone mule....

And to be clear, this is the latest release from the play store you are using? or the release i mentioned?

It's 785 from the Play Store, running on sorry a Samsung S8 with android version 8.0.0

1 hour ago, CFD said:

And to be clear, this is the latest release from the play store you are using? or the release i mentioned?

Well, not perfect. It reconnected plenty yesterday by itself but very inconsistent today and doesn't seem to know whether ConnectedDrive is really needed. 

On 06/03/2019 at 20:42, SuperDave said:

Well, not perfect. It reconnected plenty yesterday by itself but very inconsistent today and doesn't seem to know whether ConnectedDrive is really needed. 

Thanks for testing. It's a no from me :D 

Update... I've updated my S8 to Android Pie over the weekend and Spotify connectivity to the iDrive is toast. The Spotify app doesn't show up in the media menu when the phone is connected like it did before. Fortunately, i can still use the Bluetooth audio feature. :roll:

9 hours ago, Johnyboy said:

I gave up on android and just bought an old iPhone for the car too.

Not sure if the new software update this week to fix my oil warning has improved it further but the iPhone Spotify connection has been solid every single time without any messing it just connects and plays.