Sign in to follow this  
Shelfside

DIY Help needed

Are there any budding diy'ers on here that can help me with a query ?

I'm going to attempt to install a "Pigs Ear" handrail to my stairs wall.

The problem is I can't find any YouTube vids or forum advice of any help. I just need to know what size screws and rawlplugs would be suitable, that sort of thing.

Thanks in advance.

What kind of wall are you fixing too?  That determines the fixings.

Solid brick* with a plaster skim? These are usually load bearing walls

Plasterboard wall over timber frame (stud wall, non load bearing)

or the most difficult of all

Solid brick* with dot and dab plasterboard which creates a cavity of varying depth between the brick and plasterboard making fixing to it just a bit more tricky.  I've got this construction on my external and supporting walls.  Makes for a warmer house as there are two air cavities.

*brick or masonry or concrete won't make a difference to the type of fixing in this instance.

On 3/5/2019 at 8:35 AM, 535i Andrew said:

What kind of wall are you fixing too?  That determines the fixings.

Solid brick* with a plaster skim? These are usually load bearing walls

Plasterboard wall over timber frame (stud wall, non load bearing)

or the most difficult of all

Solid brick* with dot and dab plasterboard which creates a cavity of varying depth between the brick and plasterboard making fixing to it just a bit more tricky.  I've got this construction on my external and supporting walls.  Makes for a warmer house as there are two air cavities.

*brick or masonry or concrete won't make a difference to the type of fixing in this instance.

Well, I will try to explain as best as I can. My house is basically an NSB (prefab). It was built in the early 50s to house people bombed out in London during WW2. The outer walls are poured concrete and flint, which are a nightmare to drill into. The interior walls are slightly easier to work with though. They are high density heavy breeze block. This is what I need to fix the handrails to. They are approximately 100mm deep. I was thinking of using 70mm screws, of which, 25mm would be embedded in the handrails, the remaining 45mm would be in the wall.

Any thoughts ?

We use these all the time:-

https://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/masonry-screws/cat840054?cm_sp=managedredirect-_-screwsfixings-_-masonryscrews

However I do not know if they hold into breeze. Grab a pack and try, if they do, they are a god send and you will never look back. I have not used raw plug's in year's since finding them.

More fun will be doing any angle's with "pig's ear"

12 minutes ago, Tims said:

However I do not know if they hold into breeze. Grab a pack and try, if they do, they are a god send and you will never look back. I have not used raw plug's in year's since finding them.

I wouldn't in breeze, will likely just crumble.

Check the max diameter of screw you can use through the fitting and go for at least 100mm screws in that size into the matching size of rawlplug. 

Thanks for the replies, gives me some options now. The handrails will have to wait until the kitchen ceiling drys out after a school boy error with some plumbing. :oops: