Sign in to follow this  
d_a_n1979

Retrofit rear parking sensors

I don't have any parking sensors fitted to my touring; find that quite odd TBH :roll:

Can the OEM ones be retrofitted; if so, what parts are needed bar sensors and loom (or can this be made up)

Or, can anyone recommend an aftermarket solution that works well and isn't some £15 jobby off eBay?

Cheers 

This never got any answers :lol:

The cars going into the bodyshop once we're back from holiday later this month; so I'll be looking to retrofit rear PDC

If I go for the OEM set; does anyone know if the rear positions are already marked inside the bumper? What about the corner trims; I know I can order them from BMW, but does anything need drilling, or are the holes already set?

On that note; will they need coding to the car, or is the PDC and module just plug n play? And where does the sounder go as well in a touring?

Cheers

You will need sensors, PDC module, acoustic generator and wiring loom. Module is connected to I-/K-bus where it gets the reverse activation signal. You can use the older (black) 4 sensor module with 2 connectors or the newer (white) 8 sensor module with 3 connectors. If you use the newer one it needs to be coded to 4 sensor (rear only) mode but in this you can also add the button on center console to activate / turn off the system. Acoustic generator and module is located above battery.

https://www.pss-autosoft.net/diagrams/bmw/release/en/zinfo/E39_EH40B.htm

https://www.pss-autosoft.net/diagrams/bmw/release/en/zinfo/E39_EA81B.htm

Thanks. 

I'll obviously need the PDC button bar for the centre dash too, is that just plug n play, or will that need coding also? 

30 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Thanks. 

I'll obviously need the PDC button bar for the centre dash too, is that just plug n play, or will that need coding also? 

No coding needed for center console button assembly. The early versions with rear only PDC did not have the button. The system is just activated with reverse signal and dropped off when speed increased over 30 km/h.