d_a_n1979

Here we go again... 2002 E39 530i Sport Touring - Japanese import

3 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

Ah thanks, the eBay price isn’t bad. 

It looks very similar to mine, I’ll try hot water first, I thought it was probably the little filter getting blocked but couldn’t work out what was blocking it! 

I haven’t put the winters on yet, it’s getting such little use with lockdowns, the old style 66s are looking very tired now its a bit disheartening taking the CH-Rs off ;)

A good wash with some nearly boiling water might clear it; worth trying

Some of them just aren't as well designed and the Autobrite one seems to be about the best I've found. Although never tried the Autoglym one

My 66s just got a DIY refurb (well first one was Oct 2019) and then I gave them another 'top up' in October just before I fitted them; they look fine but close up you can see they're still rough underneath ;) 

I haven't done anything re sorting alloys for summer tyres yet; I'll probably stick with another set of Style 66s, get them fully refurbed professionally and just stick 245/45/17 summer tyres all round; but I may look at 18s again

Hi Dan, great post to see all you’ve done with the car, and very relevant given I’ve recently bought a Jap import 2001 540i so a lot of your challenges sound familiar! (I actually think it’s @Loadmaster old car!). 

Did you ever resolve your IR remote central locking issue (or switch it to RF)? I’ve not been able to get it working since I’ve had it despite numerous attempts to resync, sending keys off for repair, changing all the fuses etc.

Would be helpful to know if you’ve had any similar issues. 

cheers!

13 hours ago, Zim-Zimma said:

Hi Dan, great post to see all you’ve done with the car, and very relevant given I’ve recently bought a Jap import 2001 540i so a lot of your challenges sound familiar! (I actually think it’s @Loadmaster old car!). 

Did you ever resolve your IR remote central locking issue (or switch it to RF)? I’ve not been able to get it working since I’ve had it despite numerous attempts to resync, sending keys off for repair, changing all the fuses etc.

Would be helpful to know if you’ve had any similar issues. 

cheers!

Hi pal

Welcome to the forums and you've got yourself a superb car there :)  It's come up North too ;) 

Unfortunately it's not possibly to change the alarm system to the RF system; just not a viable option

I've 2 keys; one that works, one that doesn't. So I just use the one that works and make sure it's got a healthy battery in it. I have tried to re-sync it, but it's never worked unfortunately

I think the only way around it really would be to have a professional install a decent alarm system that'll operate the central locking too.

The car is still protected by the factory installed immobiliser; it just doesn't have the physical alarm system

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Hi pal

Welcome to the forums and you've got yourself a superb car there :)  It's come up North too ;) 

Unfortunately it's not possibly to change the alarm system to the RF system; just not a viable option

I've 2 keys; one that works, one that doesn't. So I just use the one that works and make sure it's got a healthy battery in it. I have tried to re-sync it, but it's never worked unfortunately

I think the only way around it really would be to have a professional install a decent alarm system that'll operate the central locking too.

The car is still protected by the factory installed immobiliser; it just doesn't have the physical alarm system

Thanks for coming back to me, Dan. This forum is great... mainly because I can see my car’s UK history by looking at Loadmaster’s profile (although it is a bit like stumbling across pics of your missus with her ex on Facebook :)). 

It looks a bit different now though as the person I bought the car from has put Alpina B10 alloys on it (see pic) which also look great but gives the car a very different look to before. 

The Japanese imports don’t have alarms fitted?! Damn! I kind of told the insurance company that it does so better get that sorted soon! Thanks for the advice. 

Probably get rear sensors installed at the same time... did you manage to switch off the standard Japanese beeping when you stick it in reverse?

Also looking at getting the Grom installed. Toyed with the idea of an aftermarket double din but too scared it’ll do irreversible damage to the dash.

After that, I think I’ll be happy with the fact that the tech in the car will only be 10 years old rather than a quarter of a century! I then just need to do detail the exterior if and when we get a dry day up north!

A792829A-1A69-4B2F-9826-CF8093E0DF0B.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Zim-Zimma said:

Thanks for coming back to me, Dan. This forum is great... mainly because I can see my car’s UK history by looking at Loadmaster’s profile (although it is a bit like stumbling across pics of your missus with her ex on Facebook :)). 

It looks a bit different now though as the person I bought the car from has put Alpina B10 alloys on it (see pic) which also look great but gives the car a very different look to before. 

The Japanese imports don’t have alarms fitted?! Damn! I kind of told the insurance company that it does so better get that sorted soon! Thanks for the advice. 

Probably get rear sensors installed at the same time... did you manage to switch off the standard Japanese beeping when you stick it in reverse?

Also looking at getting the Grom installed. Toyed with the idea of an aftermarket double din but too scared it’ll do irreversible damage to the dash.

After that, I think I’ll be happy with the fact that the tech in the car will only be 10 years old rather than a quarter of a century! I then just need to do detail the exterior if and when we get a dry day up north!

Hi pal :) No worries...

No they don't for some unknown reason; must be a very trusting lot those Japanese folk :lol:  Same with not speccing PDC etc

If you go through my project you'll see I had the Steelmate sensors retrofitted to where the OEM sensors would be (all marked out on the rear of the bumper FYI), when I had the rear bumper resprayed and then my auto-sparky pal connected them up for me (a bit more faffy on the touring as you have to get to the wiring loom in the head liner etc). But for c£65 they're a great kit and work superbly.

Re the Grom, it was simply plug n play; but again, it's easier in the touring as it's all open in the load area, whereas the saloon is sealed off, so you need to fit the wiring through a grommet I think; but shouldn't be too hard. Agree re faffing with a new aftermarket head unit, IMO it doesn't need it and the Grom kit works superbly and sounds fine. One thing I haven't done yet is get my BM53 amp sent to Baris at Carphonics for him to send me an updated/upgraded UK BM54, so I'll be doing that in the very near future 

Re the Japanese 'reverse' beep; the sounder is under the steering wheel area; so just undo the plastic cover and unplug it ;) 

Dry day up North? It's going to get colder again by the looks of it; so save it until Spring :mrgreen:

On 12/29/2020 at 12:32 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

A good wash with some nearly boiling water might clear it; worth trying

Some of them just aren't as well designed and the Autobrite one seems to be about the best I've found. Although never tried the Autoglym one

My 66s just got a DIY refurb (well first one was Oct 2019) and then I gave them another 'top up' in October just before I fitted them; they look fine but close up you can see they're still rough underneath ;) 

I haven't done anything re sorting alloys for summer tyres yet; I'll probably stick with another set of Style 66s, get them fully refurbed professionally and just stick 245/45/17 summer tyres all round; but I may look at 18s again

Sorry Dan,

But I thought last year you went with 18" LM reps from BMautosport ?

1 minute ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Sorry Dan,

But I thought last year you went with 18" LM reps from BMautosport ?

I did pal but sold them on... 

Lovely wheels, but they weren't doing it for me and I much prefer the car on the 66s, handles and rides so much better IMO. 

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I did pal but sold them on... 

Lovely wheels, but they weren't doing it for me and I much prefer the car on the 66s, handles and rides so much better IMO. 

Yeah I understand, 

That's why I want to stick with 18"s on my 61 & not go with fashion ie 19"s or 20"s

I've always liked the 66s & the 37's 

Edited by dirtydirtydiesel

12 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Hi pal :) No worries...

No they don't for some unknown reason; must be a very trusting lot those Japanese folk :lol:  Same with not speccing PDC etc

If you go through my project you'll see I had the Steelmate sensors retrofitted to where the OEM sensors would be (all marked out on the rear of the bumper FYI), when I had the rear bumper resprayed and then my auto-sparky pal connected them up for me (a bit more faffy on the touring as you have to get to the wiring loom in the head liner etc). But for c£65 they're a great kit and work superbly.

Re the Grom, it was simply plug n play; but again, it's easier in the touring as it's all open in the load area, whereas the saloon is sealed off, so you need to fit the wiring through a grommet I think; but shouldn't be too hard. Agree re faffing with a new aftermarket head unit, IMO it doesn't need it and the Grom kit works superbly and sounds fine. One thing I haven't done yet is get my BM53 amp sent to Baris at Carphonics for him to send me an updated/upgraded UK BM54, so I'll be doing that in the very near future 

Re the Japanese 'reverse' beep; the sounder is under the steering wheel area; so just undo the plastic cover and unplug it ;) 

Dry day up North? It's going to get colder again by the looks of it; so save it until Spring :mrgreen:

I used to work for a Japanese company and spent a bit of time in Tokyo.  Street level crime is virtually non-existent over there so doesn't surprise me that they don't fit alarms as standard.  Doesn't explain the lack of PDC though as the parking spaces are tiny and they mostly drive tiny Kei cars!

I've been through your project, it's where I've been getting most of my ideas from :D!  I found someone local on Google earlier who fits Steelmate sensors and Cobra car alarms... might give him a ring once I've sorted out battery and tyre issues on the missus's RR Sport.

I think I'll need to take out the rear seats to feed the Grom mic to the front but shouldn't be an issue - might try to do it the same time as the PDC install if those wires also need to be fed from rear to front.  So glad the annoying reverse beep is an easy fix - my wife mistook it for a parking sensor beep and almost crashed it into the wall because the beep didn't become constant!

Out of interest, why swap a BM53 for the BM54 rather than just upgrade the BM53?  For the wider radio frequency?  I've read somewhere that there's a secret radio service menu where you can change the location and access UK frequencies but I've not been able to find it so far so perhaps another internet myth!

And yes, TLC may need to wait until Spring at this rate, it's pretty clean as it is tbf so no biggie.

8 hours ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Yeah I understand, 

That's why I want to stick with 18"s on my 61 & not go with fashion ie 19"s or 20"s

I've always liked the 66s & the 37's 

I did like the E38 Style 37s I ran; but even they made the ride overly hard for my liking. Maybe it's because the whole cars on new suspension etc (or I'm turning into an old fart) :lol: 

But the Style 66s look and ride superbly for me and for now; that's what I'm sticking to :) 

8 hours ago, Zim-Zimma said:

I used to work for a Japanese company and spent a bit of time in Tokyo.  Street level crime is virtually non-existent over there so doesn't surprise me that they don't fit alarms as standard.  Doesn't explain the lack of PDC though as the parking spaces are tiny and they mostly drive tiny Kei cars!

I've been through your project, it's where I've been getting most of my ideas from :D!  I found someone local on Google earlier who fits Steelmate sensors and Cobra car alarms... might give him a ring once I've sorted out battery and tyre issues on the missus's RR Sport.

I think I'll need to take out the rear seats to feed the Grom mic to the front but shouldn't be an issue - might try to do it the same time as the PDC install if those wires also need to be fed from rear to front.  So glad the annoying reverse beep is an easy fix - my wife mistook it for a parking sensor beep and almost crashed it into the wall because the beep didn't become constant!

Out of interest, why swap a BM53 for the BM54 rather than just upgrade the BM53?  For the wider radio frequency?  I've read somewhere that there's a secret radio service menu where you can change the location and access UK frequencies but I've not been able to find it so far so perhaps another internet myth!

And yes, TLC may need to wait until Spring at this rate, it's pretty clean as it is tbf so no biggie.

Are you doing front & rear PDC; I only did the rears as that's all I felt it needed TBH. Yes, the fronts would have been good, but for me, not essential.

Yes that reverse beep is bloody annoying, glad I found the sounder as soon as I did and unplugged it :lol: 

Re the BM53 to BM54; because the frequencies are limited on the BM53, the BM54 has a much wider range. I have changed my hidden dash menu to Canadian, so it's opened up more frequencies, but when you search you can see how many are missed and it's not easy to 'fine tune' because of that etc

If you Google the hidden dash menu for the radio frequencies, you'll soon find the how to ;) 

10 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Are you doing front & rear PDC; I only did the rears as that's all I felt it needed TBH. Yes, the fronts would have been good, but for me, not essential.

Yes that reverse beep is bloody annoying, glad I found the sounder as soon as I did and unplugged it :lol: 

Re the BM53 to BM54; because the frequencies are limited on the BM53, the BM54 has a much wider range. I have changed my hidden dash menu to Canadian, so it's opened up more frequencies, but when you search you can see how many are missed and it's not easy to 'fine tune' because of that etc

If you Google the hidden dash menu for the radio frequencies, you'll soon find the how to ;) 

I'm just going for the rear PDC for now because rear visibility isn't great, especially in the wet and dark.  I'll go without the fronts for now and change in future if I feel the need to.

I've tried everything to access the hidden dash menu - pressing the 'Info' button, holding down the 'Select' button, standing on one leg with a finger on my nose... nothing seems to work.  Might just stream radio through my phone once I've got Bluetooth set up - it's not my daily driver anyway so no biggie.

1 minute ago, Zim-Zimma said:

I'm just going for the rear PDC for now because rear visibility isn't great, especially in the wet and dark.  I'll go without the fronts for now and change in future if I feel the need to.

I've tried everything to access the hidden dash menu - pressing the 'Info' button, holding down the 'Select' button, standing on one leg with a finger on my nose... nothing seems to work.  Might just stream radio through my phone once I've got Bluetooth set up - it's not my daily driver anyway so no biggie.

Thats fair enough. 

I think you'll find rear PDC is all that's needed as the fronts easy to see as it sloped down etc. 

Odd re the hidden dash menu, keep trying. I know I didn't get it right the first few times. 

But yes, I rarely listen to the radio, usually just stream music :)

Gave it a good wash today; it needed it :roll::lol:

washed1.jpg

washed2.jpg

washed3.jpg

washed4.jpg

washed5.jpg

This is the application stage of the Autoglym Polar Seal; you can see how it starts to bead with it just being applied then rinsed off.

It does a great job IMO; I re-coat it once every 4-5 washes usually...

I little goes a long way!

I'm doing naff all to the car currently bar a few bits here n there and giving it it's usually weekly wash (when the weather allows) ;) 

Today it's had:

- Removed both inner rear light clusters; dried them (touch of condensation in the light bar section); the seals look to be in superb condition, but noted both were very easy to undo the bolts; so nipped them up tighter when refitted and gave them a polish too

- Rear number plate plinth removed and refitted with the correct clips; rear humber plate refitted with new mounting tape

It's bloody cold out there with a really biting wind; can't feel my hands now :lol: 

Plans are (was thinking of selling but decided against that as I've absolutely no idea what I'd replace it with currently, and nows not the time to be selling cars, even though I've had 4 very serious offers for it)!

- Replace the rear bags with all new Arnott ones (peace of mind/preventative maintenance fix as they're absolutely fine currently, but they are the original ones from factory)!

- Rear ARB to be upgraded to the OEM BMW E39 M5 rear ARB, along with poly-bush rubber all round on both ARBs
- I've a spare set of 17x8 Style 66s to get fully, professionally refurbed, gunmetal grey probably (or similar) and fit new summer tyres. I still 'might' go for another set of 18" alloys without a lip, so a concave style, but will decide at a later date
- Get Baris at Carphonics to replace the OEM 16:9 screen with a new one (current one has some light pixel issues) and also get him to swap the Jap BM53 amp out for a UK spec BM54 that's had the amp upgraded too
- Look to get a stainless back box sorted with a twin exit style; Schmiedmann have some good ones and they're made by the same factory that does the SuperSprint exhausts

Edited by d_a_n1979

Winter sale on ;)

https://www.driftworks.com/wheels-and-accessories/alloy-wheels/jr-wheels/jr-wheels-sale

17 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Look to get a stainless back box sorted with a twin exit style; Schmiedmann have some good ones and they're made by the same factory that does the SuperSprint exhausts

Its odd how it has a twin pipe exhaust all the way to the back box but only a single tail pipe. The larger engined E28s had twin pipe exhausts, I changed the one on my first BM a 520i for the twin pipe off a 528i. I think the E34s did too, can’t remember what was on my 535i originally I changed it very soon after getting it!

Or do you mean twin as in on each side of the car? 

1 hour ago, Andyrt200 said:

Winter sale on ;)

https://www.driftworks.com/wheels-and-accessories/alloy-wheels/jr-wheels/jr-wheels-sale

Its odd how it has a twin pipe exhaust all the way to the back box but only a single tail pipe. The larger engined E28s had twin pipe exhausts, I changed the one on my first BM a 520i for the twin pipe off a 528i. I think the E34s did too, can’t remember what was on my 535i originally I changed it very soon after getting it!

Or do you mean twin as in on each side of the car? 

This pal :) 

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-E39/1938179-new?product=SCM39MTR270

And thanks re the JR wheels; but they require 'tuner lugs' and I don't want to move away from my stud conversion kit. BMAutosport have some alloys I'm potentially interested in, but fer noo :lol: I'll stick with getting the 66s I've got refurbed and shod with decent summer rubber :) 

22 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I'm doing naff all to the car currently bar a few bits here n there and giving it it's usually weekly wash (when the weather allows) ;) 

Today it's had:

- Removed both inner rear light clusters; dried them (touch of condensation in the light bar section); the seals look to be in superb condition, but noted both were very easy to undo the bolts; so nipped them up tighter when refitted and gave them a polish too

- Rear number plate plinth removed and refitted with the correct clips; rear humber plate refitted with new mounting tape

It's bloody cold out there with a really biting wind; can't feel my hands now :lol: 

Plans are (was thinking of selling but decided against that as I've absolutely no idea what I'd replace it with currently, and nows not the time to be selling cars, even though I've had 4 very serious offers for it)!

- Replace the rear bags with all new Arnott ones (peace of mind/preventative maintenance fix as they're absolutely fine currently, but they are the original ones from factory)!

- Rear ARB to be upgraded to the OEM BMW E39 M5 rear ARB, along with poly-bush rubber all round on both ARBs
- I've a spare set of 17x8 Style 66s to get fully, professionally refurbed, gunmetal grey probably (or similar) and fit new summer tyres. I still 'might' go for another set of 18" alloys without a lip, so a concave style, but will decide at a later date
- Get Baris at Carphonics to replace the OEM 16:9 screen with a new one (current one has some light pixel issues) and also get him to swap the Jap BM53 amp out for a UK spec BM54 that's had the amp upgraded too
- Look to get a stainless back box sorted with a twin exit style; Schmiedmann have some good ones and they're made by the same factory that does the SuperSprint exhausts

Definitely do not sell it Dan!  It's a stunning E39 and you have spent so much time and effort on it!  And as you say, what could you replace it with?  I've had a few E60's and F10s and honestly, I still prefer the E39!

As you know, I am a big fan of Baris who is an absolute legend when it comes to all things E39 audio/visual! 

Thanks!

On 31/01/2021 at 12:00, d_a_n1979 said:

This pal :) 

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-E39/1938179-new?product=SCM39MTR270

And thanks re the JR wheels; but they require 'tuner lugs' and I don't want to move away from my stud conversion kit. BMAutosport have some alloys I'm potentially interested in, but fer noo :lol: I'll stick with getting the 66s I've got refurbed and shod with decent summer rubber :) 

Ah very nice exhaust, looks like it should have been there in the first place!

Yeah I’m not totally sure the JRs would work on an E39 but it’s nice to window shop :D

66s do still look good when they have been properly refurbished B)

26 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

Ah very nice exhaust, looks like it should have been there in the first place!

Yeah I’m not totally sure the JRs would work on an E39 but it’s nice to window shop :D

66s do still look good when they have been properly refurbished B)

Exactly. Expensive but looks to be superbly made and it'll sound as it should have done from factory IMO ;)

And yes, a freshly refurbed set of 66s will look spot on IMO... 

Until the next set of alloys take my fancy :lol:

First full hand-wash & detail of 2021

Pre-wash applied; to all 4 wheels, wheel arches, sills and lower quarters of the car, rinsed. Autoglym Polar Blast snowfoamed & left to dwell for 10mins or so, rinsed; AG Ultimate Shampoo hand washed, rinsed, AG Polar Seal applied, rinsed, towel dried. 

All door shuts towel dried including the tailgate areas; tyres treated with Chemical Guys Tire & Trim Gel; load area black plastics & all 4 corner bump strips treated with the Tire & Trim gel too

Exhaust tail pipe polished with Autosol & buffing drill attachment 

Forecast for the next 4 days; heavy rain :lol: :roll: 

detail.jpg

detail1.jpg

detail2.jpg

detail3.jpg

detail4.jpg

detail5.jpg

detail6.jpg

21 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Do your neighbours give you strange looks about how long you spend cleaning your car ? :D

They're new; only been in a week...

They've yet to learn :lol: :mrgreen: