d_a_n1979

Here we go again... 2002 E39 530i Sport Touring - Japanese import

Looks good! The shade is a pain, apparently you can get slightly different tints. I had some pro mixed paint to use in my guns & it was noticeable darker than the original paint on the boot, it took three goes to blend it in before I was happy! 

20 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

Looks good! The shade is a pain, apparently you can get slightly different tints. I had some pro mixed paint to use in my guns & it was noticeable darker than the original paint on the boot, it took three goes to blend it in before I was happy! 

Yeah; in one light it looks spot on, in another light it's slightly darker.

For a DIY effort I'm pleased with it. Stuck the plate on for now and when I eventually get the car into the shop; I'll get them to respray it again for it to be perfect :) 

OEM BMW M5 grille fitted with the OEM star fixing clips (on the posts that were still present :lol: ) and brake calipers and brake disc hats painted satin black.

Had to do some guerilla engineering on the undertray too as part of it fell off last night (most of it came away when I was forced to drive through deep water back in Feb when we had those heavy rains etc; even though I was doing less than 5mph, the amount of water got on top of the tray and ripped part of it from its mountings); so that'll need to be replaced soon enough :roll: 

M5grille.jpg

OEM powerfold / memory & chromatic mirrors replaced, like for like, with a full working set off an E38 :) Mirror caps still need respraying, they’re in 354 , just scratched arc, so touched up for now; they’ll get done with the front end refresh, when that happens

Fresh aftermarket glass ordered (heated, blue & wide angle but not chromatic) ordered and will swap those over when they land

Also had this delivery from @cotswoldbmwmini today :)

Undertray (with fixings) and new wheel arches liners have just landed; a week all in from ordering to delivery from Germany! Cannot complain at that

D164-EA32-A0-F9-4226-8-DF3-A7-A8031-BBD6

Edited by d_a_n1979

Nothing major; but both powerfold wing mirrors dismantled and the gears liberally sprayed with lithium grease to keep them healthy :) 

Both mirror glass replaced too with: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-7-SERIES-E38-5-SERIES-E39-POWER-FOLDING-MIRROR-GLASS-BLUE-HEATED-WIDE-ANGLE/121067654608?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Both mine had gone bronzed as they'd failed and I am NOT paying the c£400+ for a single replacement BMW chromatic/heated mirror :roll: :lol:  

It's looking very tidy with the M5 grilles and OEM kidneys, I've always had a soft spot for LMs too. The plate recess is a nice touch as well, a little nod towards its roots.

1 hour ago, FLX said:

It's looking very tidy with the M5 grilles and OEM kidneys, I've always had a soft spot for LMs too. The plate recess is a nice touch as well, a little nod towards its roots.

Thanks; they were both present when the car came into the country and at some point between that and the 1st UK owner owning it; they were both removed!

Obviously I've sprayed and refitted the rear; I've got the front Jap import spec number plate recess, as well as the UK being resprayed along with the front end refresh, so mI'll decide which I prefer when I get the car back :) 

The OEM chrome grilles were deffo the right thing to refit; the Schmiedmann gloss black grilles were nice, but I much prefer the OEM look TBH

2 hours ago, greenelekta said:

That's half the car done Dan, when you going to get the other half done?

Haha not quite. Just tops of doors prepped where they’ll feather in the paint etc ;) 

Looks worse than it is

18 minutes ago, greenelekta said:

Looks like they are doing a great job. Your going to run out of jobs on it soon Dan!

Haha few bits to do when I get it back

Fuel filter needs changing, PS reservoir and piping needs replacing (usual weeping) and will do a flush and refill and going to do a coolant flush and refill too.

Will get an upgraded BM54 from Baris and a retrimmed steering wheel and that’ll be it, I think :lol: 

58 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Pile of poo these death trap imports! ;)

Tell me about it ;) :lol: 

18 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

Looking good, the chips in the bonnet really show up with a freshly re-sprayed bumper, yours is going to look really good when done :)

Yeah; that's why I decided to get the front end done in one go

TBH the bonnet looked clean and bright; it's only when you were right up to it that you could see the flat spots and lots of scratches in the lacquer etc... But the nose and front of the bumper were absolutely peppered; so there was no way that one or the other would have cut it, same with the wing tips to; so all or nothing :) 

Should have it back next week as the body shop are fitting it in/around the insurance work they're trying to catch up with (backlog due to the CV19 lockdown etc)

I never think to look in the projects section. I've missed out on all this good work Dan. :rolleyes:

This will be a complete stunner when it's finished.

Looking perfect, very nice job.

The bumpers look really nice when properly shiny with new paint & the bar removed, but yours looks even better with the rest of the front done to match. Really nice shine on it as it is without any polish;)

You’re right they do look better slightly lowered on the front :cool:

16 minutes ago, greenelekta said:

Looks a cracking job Dan but looks like you've been upsetting the neighbours with all that car washing!

:lol: That took me a minute, I didn’t spot the for sale sign to start with! 

Haha that mad the neighbour passed away in Jan... :P :lol: 

House has been up for sale since, we think it's sold, but still to hear anything in more detail :roll: 

I don't like em already and don't even know who's bought the house... I don't like change :mrgreen: