d_a_n1979

Here we go again... 2002 E39 530i Sport Touring - Japanese import

Out of curiosity how does the suspension compare to the coilovers you had in that ol' black 530i you had? :lol:

24 minutes ago, GBS said:

Out of curiosity how does the suspension compare to the coilovers you had in that ol' black 530i you had? :lol:

It's OEM pal; so not as firm, doesn't ride as flat in corners and sits higher :) 

But for now; that's what I want out of my touring

New boots fitted ;) 

Before:

before.jpg

After:

after.jpg

It's still riding a touch high with the new suspension but I'm sure it'll settle soon enough. Rides brilliantly though; but not driven it yet on the n18s, so that'll make a difference I'm sure ;) 

Few more bits done:

• Fitted the Z3 3.0 air intake boot section; deleting the resonator section between the MAF and TB intake; sounds a bit throatier :mrgreen: 
  • Repaired the DISA with the X8R kit; the DISA was working ok, but the O ring wasn't even present :lol: Quieter intake now!
  • Brake calipers given another coat of Hammerite satin silver; look much better now ;) 

All 4 rear arms ordered; gone for Meyle as usual; all 4 really do need replacing, all the bushes have badly deteriorated, no idea how they weren't picked up on the MOT :lol::roll::oops:

Also gone for a full brake overhaul; Mtec grooved discs all round, EBC Yellowstuff pads upfront, Mtec's pads on the rears; also ordered HEL brake lines and Motul DOT5.1 fluid ;)

HEL vanos line to be replaced at the same time and the propshaft donut too ;)

All booked into be done Monday 29th; will report back with lots of pics as usual :mrgreen: 

Just got all my parts in order for tomorrow's mechanicing session :lol:

New brakes all round (Mtec grooved discs front & rear, EBC Yellowstuff pads up front, Mtec's own pads on the rear, genuine BMW pad wear sensors, Motul DOT5.1 brake fluid (not pictured), HEL vanos line with necessary washers, fully refurbished alternator with 18 months warranty, Meyle HD rear arms (both sides), Castrol 75W90 diff fluid and new BMW diff plugs. Just sods law that my HEL braided brake lines haven't arrived, trackings on them via DHL seems to have gone awry, so sods law they'll land tomorrow when they're needed and I'm not home :lol: 

parts1.jpg

parts2.jpg

parts3.jpg

parts4.jpg

parts5.jpg

parts6.jpg

parts7.jpg

parts8.jpg

They're good brakes pal; for what they cost, it's hard to beat IMO

EBC's discs are crap in my opinion, Brembo's grooved discs are ok, as are ATEs (expensive though) and Mtec's prices are nigh on line with OEM spec blank discs...

Their pads are good too, albeit dusty, that's why I generally stick them on the rears and go for more aggressive pads up front :) 

Oh; rear drop links and prop duffnut being changed too... Think I might leave the brakes to another session when they can be done in one go along with the lines, but will see how things go tomorrow

The cars been given a good wash and Autoglym Aqua Wax though in readiness; it's nice to work on a clean car ;)

clean1.jpg

clean2.jpg

18 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Looks like you've bought a right snotter. Best I take it off your hands for a more than generous £500. emoji106.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd expect at least a bag of licorice torpedos or swizzler lollies too pal...

:mrgreen:

He's already accepted my offer of £600 default_icon_mrgreen.gif

Tuvoc I'm afraid it's all here in writing a contract is made when there is an offer, consideration (in this case a counter offer) intent and acceptance.

The car is mine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will you lot get your grubby mitts off me touring please :mrgreen: 

I'll only consider offers over £601.99 alongside swizzler lollies, sherbet dips and Parma violets :mad:;) 

Work done part 1 (Monday 29th April):

Alternator swapped out, HEL vanos line fitted, diff oil and plugs changed (Castrol 75W90) and all 4 rear arms swapped over for Meyle HD items:

work1.jpg

work2.jpg

work3.jpg

Rear arms were a faff; had to deflate and loosen the rear air bags to allow for the bolts to be removed (that's once we get the fecking bolts undone) :lol: They were all the original BMW arms, the alternator was the original BMW item too!

Part 2 (brakes install) happens on Friday ;) Will update then...

On 3/5/2019 at 5:19 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

TBH never had any issues with the leather in my previous BMWs; the black leather in my slate green 530i was my fave, it had heated seats which seem to be far & few between in the E39s, IMO

But, I've got a decent heated seat cover that works really well; so can soon reinstate that come the colder months ;) 

You're right about heated seats being rare... I looked at a lot over the last few years and I can only remember seeing them being common in 540 sports.

Go on then, where'd you get your bum warmer from? I started reading a thread about retrofitting heat mats into my seats... Yeahhhh.. nah.

7 minutes ago, albash82 said:

You're right about heated seats being rare... I looked at a lot over the last few years and I can only remember seeing them being common in 540 sports.

Go on then, where'd you get your bum warmer from? I started reading a thread about retrofitting heat mats into my seats... Yeahhhh.. nah.

Amazon pal, c£20 IIRC, however they’re made generally for LHD cars, so getting a cigarette lighter extension is advisable, means you can tuck the wiring away then under the drivers seat ;) 

6 minutes ago, albash82 said:

Ps, cheers for documenting all this stuff. Really gives me incentive to do mine. I promise to take pics and update my thread too!

No worries, I like to be thorough with my projects ;) 

Re heated seats; my 1st 530i (slate green) had heated seats, do miss that car!

Work done part 2:

Mtec grooved brakes all round; Mtec brake discs on the rears, EBC Yellowstuff up front; HEL braided brake lines with Motul DOT 5.1 fluid; prop donut changed too (a few heat shields removed and it's extremely spotless under there) and the 'copy' undertray fitted too. Needed a bit of fettling, but it fits fine and for £50 inc delivery from France, worth it over the c£150 OEM part from BMW Germany:

work-1.jpg

work-2.jpg

work-3.jpg

work-4.jpg

work-5.jpg

work-6.jpg

work-7.jpg

work-8.jpg