d_a_n1979

Here we go again... 2002 E39 530i Sport Touring - Japanese import

2 hours ago, AdamB said:

What pre-wash do you use, and would you rate the auto-glym stuff over meguiars?

I've been using Koch Chemie Greenstar diluted lately, more so this time of the year to breakdown the road salt and grime. Found it to work really well. 

The Valet Pro Citrus pre wash is really good too. 

I apply them using 5l garden sprayer bottle

And yes, the AG stuff, IMO, is better than Megs car washing offerings. 

I tend to use AG, Dodo Juice or Chemical Guys stuff

So...

'Summer' Style 66s sent off to be refurbed and fitted with new Michelin PS4 235/45/17 tyres all round

loaded1.jpg

loaded2.jpg

Collected yesterday:

ooph.jpg

This morning they've been washed, towel dried, waxed, buffed and badges fitted; just need fitting now ;):mrgreen:

newboots1.jpg

newboots2.jpg

Finished in Ferric Grey FYI :) 

Style 66s refurbished in Ferric Grey fitted ;)

17x8 straight set, sat on 15mm hubcentric spacers, fitted with 235/45/17 XL rated Michelin PS4 tyres

newboots3.jpg

newboots4.jpg

New BMW tailgate roundel fitted too

Looking nice, they work well in that colour. 

I was going to say just in time for the snow, but I see the forecast has changed it mind round here at least...

Actually I never fitted the winters this year, the kids really want to sledging a few months ago. I caved in as we couldn’t go skiing so very tentatively took them, but it was fine with new summer 275s in the snow!

1 hour ago, Andyrt200 said:

Looking nice, they work well in that colour. 

I was going to say just in time for the snow, but I see the forecast has changed it mind round here at least...

Actually I never fitted the winters this year, the kids really want to sledging a few months ago. I caved in as we couldn’t go skiing so very tentatively took them, but it was fine with new summer 275s in the snow!

Yeah I have been watching the weather. 

We did have some snow forecast here but that changed now to just cold... 

It's 15 or so degrees here currently, so it has been the right time to swap them out (and get them scrubbed in) ;)

13 hours ago, Mani59 said:

Ferric Grey wheels look great on silver!  

Cheers Mani :) 

I'm really pleased with their finish 8) 

2 hours ago, spuckle said:

@d_a_n1979 I believe I did ask for first refusal to buy it back, and my commute is currently acceptable again :D

Hi pal :lol: 

Good to see you on here...

It's value has crept up considerably since I bought it from you ;) Turned down a few offers this year already via folks on the PH forums

Edited by d_a_n1979

I check in on all your OEM+ changes every so often :-D, it was all the stuff I had intended to do over time (well, other than one of those sets of alloys :P)

Had far too short a tenure myself, after such a long shipping wait! So if you ever do decide to move it on, hit me up.

On 02/04/2021 at 16:58, d_a_n1979 said:

Style 66s refurbished in Ferric Grey fitted ;)

17x8 straight set, sat on 15mm hubcentric spacers, fitted with 235/45/17 XL rated Michelin PS4 tyres

newboots3.jpg

newboots4.jpg

New BMW tailgate roundel fitted too

You know what Dan - I'd keep it on 66s, it really does look great like that.

37 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

You know what Dan - I'd keep it on 66s, it really does look great like that.

Cheers Keith

I am doing; been out & about in the car today doing various chores and it drives/handles so well on them :) 

2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Cheers Keith

I am doing; been out & about in the car today doing various chores and it drives/handles so well on them :) 

I think that maybe they suit the tourer better than the saloon. Plus you've got the colour right and ties in well with the rest of the car.

18 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

I think that maybe they suit the tourer better than the saloon. Plus you've got the colour right and ties in well with the rest of the car.

Agree... 

Saloons work best on 18s IMO but they look superb on 19s 

Well after a week of using & abusing the car (1960s asbestos special garage emptied, ready to be knocked down on Saturday) and numerous tip runs (amazing how much shit one can store in a garage) :lol: 

The cars had a full detail inside & out; a full wash, wax and dry etc and all wheels/tyres dried & treated, all door shuts cleaned and dried.

The dust from all the shit in the garage that went to the tip got EVERYWHERE and I had rather a worrying number of very large spiders making home in my car too :? 

One dropped down from my sun visor the other day; it soon got hoofed out of the window :mrgreen:

garage.jpg

cleaned1.jpg

cleaned2.jpg

cleaned3.jpg

cleaned4.jpg

cleaned5.jpg

cleaned6.jpg

cleaned7.jpg

cleaned8.jpg

As for work; it's booked in 2nd week of May onto my pals ramps, so I can access the underneath fully to do the Lanoguard underseal stuff; prop will come off to get under those heat shields, so will replace the prop bearing (Febi or Meyle one)

Edited by d_a_n1979

Hi All,  just noticed this post with interest.  I also bought a Japanese import last year and live not a million miles from Preston; Lancaster.   It is a white 2002 525i SE touring also with some tint added the rear windows.  It has a black leather interior and appears to be an Individual.  The only option I have noticed is extra leather cladding to some of the interior parts.  It's had two brief previous British owners. The first had it professionally undersealed, converted it to LPG, tow bar fitted and installed a Pioneer head unit.  

It's an auto and I don't really get on with the 2.5 auto combination.  I have decided to convert it to a 3.0 manual and in theory have the parts now but am not sure when I will get around to it.  I will probably build a large car port first. I picked up some roof trusses last week so am making very slow progress.  The next job is to interrogate the electrics of the donner car as the engine has an issue.  I requested information re cables and software on BimmerForums but have not had a reply.  Does anyone have a VAG com cable fully working on a late e39. I believe I solder pins 7 and 8 together on the OBD connector.  I'll post a photo or two if anyone's interested...

Bye for now.

Edited by Braders

10 hours ago, Braders said:

Hi All,  just noticed this post with interest.  I also bought a Japanese import last year and live not a million miles from Preston; Lancaster.   It is a white 2002 525i SE touring also with some tint added the rear windows.  It has a black leather interior and appears to be an Individual.  The only option I have noticed is extra leather cladding to some of the interior parts.  It's had two brief previous British owners. The first had it professionally undersealed, converted it to LPG, tow bar fitted and installed a Pioneer head unit.  

It's an auto and I don't really get on with the 2.5 auto combination.  I have decided to convert it to a 3.0 manual and in theory have the parts now but am not sure when I will get around to it.  I will probably build a large car port first. I picked up some roof trusses last week so am making very slow progress.  The next job is to interrogate the electrics of the donner car as the engine has an issue.  I requested information re cables and software on BimmerForums but have not had a reply.  Does anyone have a VAG com cable fully working on a late e39. I believe I solder pins 7 and 8 together on the OBD connector.  I'll post a photo or two if anyone's interested...

Bye for now.

Welcome to the forums pal :) 

Good to see another Jap import owner on here; there are a few others dotted around the UK, like you, they all seem to the 525i's though, makes my 530i quite rare ;) 

Re your tech questions; if you ask these in the relevant E39 tech section further up from projects; you'll get the answers you need. This is my project page, so your questions are lost on here really...

Shame someone converted it to LPG; I do question why the hell they'd do that :roll: 

Yes I was under the impression that the 525i s were more common in other markets so I suspect your car is rare. 

I can understand your misgivings with LPG but in my case it fits my original reasons for buying one of these cars.  In answer to your question, why people fit lpg? For a start it's a way of enjoying a fabulous long distance car without the normal expense.  I think my donner car has done about 200k on lpg.

I've driven two 3ltr manuals and on 2.5ltr auto and if they were representative the 3.0 manuals felt significantly more lively hence the reason I am going to quite a lot of effort to get a rust free car to spec I like.   Having said that my attraction to the e39 isn't all about it's sportiness and speed I was looking for a comfortable GT car with a reasonable amount of space but with good driving dynamics and communicative steering/ controls etc.  As all cars, e39s have  compromised abilities but they are particularly gifted in an number of areas and so can appeal to different people for different reasons.  I guess I will be in a better position to judge when I have spent more time driving the car.  I look forward to it.  As a future project I dream about fitting an N52 engine developing my own liquid direct injected lpg.  I am an engineer but my CAN skills do not stretch that far at the moment.  

Anyway as you said this is your page, so, really nice desirable car you've got, I'm not surprised you clean it a lot, hope I get to see it sometime...

Not updated this in a good while; so here goes :mrgreen: 

Quite a bit of work lined up for my touring towards the end of this month (midst sorting our new garage so haven't time to do anything until around 20th onwards).

Managed to get half a day on my pals ramps on 23rd; so will be doing as much as I can of the list below:

• Rear E39 M5 ARB (sourced via BMW Cotswolds) with Purple poly bushes
  • New Meyle rear drop links
  • Rear ATE 'PowerDisc' discs and ATE Ceramic pads (have the Meyle handbrake kit also but will see if it's needed first; if not it can sit on my parts shelf)
  • Arnott SLS bags ordered; so will probably fit them too at the same time, may as well seeing as it'll all be apart!
  • I've got the Lanoguard undersealing to do; but can do most of that on the drive
  • I've got the Febi prop bearing to do as well; but will probably leave that to a later date; it's not needed, just another 'peace of mind' job etc

After that lot; that'll be every single piece of the suspension replaced bar the rear rose bushes which are absolutely fine. So, after that I'm done re the mechanicals of the touring 

As for the interior: I will look into a Royal Steering Wheel re-trimmed wheel and getting Baris at Carphonics to work his magic on my BM53 (he's going to swap it for an amp-upgraded BM54 amp) and I'll get him to fit a new screen to my 16:9 head unit too...

But in a good ew months; feel like I'm haemorrhaging money currently with the new garage build etc :lol: :mad:  :roll: 

On 3/10/2020 at 10:18 AM, d_a_n1979 said:

Quick test fit of the rear number plate recess yesterday:

recess1.jpg

I needed to remove the old plate as the area behind was full of old tape that was used to stick the original plate on :roll: But also needed to see how it sits and then speak to BMW Cotswolds to suss out the necessary fixings for it! They've been ordered and should be with me this week sometime :) 

Hi Dan 

Out of interest what additional fixings did you require for the rear plate recess? 

Thanks 

7 hours ago, Pricey said:

Hi Dan 

Out of interest what additional fixings did you require for the rear plate recess? 

Thanks 

Hi pal

2 of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173602638365

I just used normal small screws and then 3M double sided taped the plate on :)