Jump to content
d_a_n1979

Here we go again... 2002 E39 530i Sport Touring - Japanese import

Recommended Posts

Up to Glasgow today to buy this ;) 

 

Decided that diesel and I do not get on; so the land-barge went yesterday and this was collected today

 

These are pics from the seller; it's covered just over 85k miles and drives faultlessly... Had plenty of work to it, just needs my touch :mrgreen: 

 

 

IMG-3681.jpg

IMG-3689.jpg

IMG-3690.jpg

IMG-3776.jpg

IMG-3777.jpg

IMG-3780.jpg

IMG-3781.jpg

IMG-3782.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Type DS62
Model 530i
Market Europe
Development Code E39 (2)
Chassis Touring
Steering right
Doors 5
Engine M54
Displacement 3.00 l
Power 170 kW
Drivetrain Rear-Wheel Drive
Transmission automatic
Color Titansilber Metallic - 354
Upholstery Stoff Headline/anthrazit - G3AT
Production Plant Dingolfing
Production Date 2002-05-21

Standard Equipment

202 Steptronic Steptronic
470 Child Seat Isofix Attachment Kindersitzbefestigung Isofix
520 Foglights Nebelscheinwerfer
853 Language Version English Sprachversion Englisch
 

Options

204 Drive Version Export Antriebsauslegung Export
227 Sp/suspension W Self-leveling Suspension Sportl.fahrw. Mit Niveauregulierung
249 Multi-function For Steering Wheel Multifunktion Fuer Lenkrad
261 Side Airbag For Rear Passengers Seitenairbag Fuer Fondpassagiere
337 M Sport Package M Sportpaket
339 Satin Chrome Shadow Line
354 Green Stripe Windscreen Gruenkeil-frontscheibe
386 Roof Rail Dachreling
423 Floor Mats, Velour Fussmatten In Velours
428 Warning Triangle Warndreieck
430 Interior And Exterior Mirror Packa Innen- Und Aussenspiegelpaket
434 Interior Trim Interieurleisten
441 Smokers Package Raucherpaket
459 Seat Adjustm., Electr. W. Memory Sitzverstellung, Elektr.mit Memory
473 Armrest, Front Armauflage Vorn
481 Sport Seats F Driver/front Passenger Sportsitze Fuer Fahrer/beifahrer
500 Headlight Washer Sys/intensive Cleaning Scheinw.waschanl./intensivreinigung
521 Rain Sensor Regensensor
522 Xenon Light Xenon-licht
534 Automatic Air Conditioning Klimaautomatik
548 Speedometer With Kilometer Reading Kilometertacho
601 Tv Function Tv-funktion
609 Navigation System Professional Navigationssystem Professional
640 Car Telephone Preparation Autotelefonvorbereitung
676 Hifi Loudspeaker System Hifi Lautsprechersystem
694 Preparation For Cd Changer Cd-wechsler Vorbereitung
710 M Leather Steering Wheel M Lederlenkrad
715 M Aerodynamics Package M Aerodynamikpaket
775 Individual Roof-lining Anthracite Individual Dachhimmel Anthrazit
785 White Direction Indicator Lights Weisse Blinkleuchten
788 M Lt/aly Wheels M Leichtmetallraeder
807 Japan Version Japan-ausfuehrung
818 Main Battery Switch Batteriehauptschalter
823 Hot Climate Version Heissland-ausfuehrung
845 Acoustic Belt Warning Akustische Gurtwarnung
875 Infrared Remote Control Infrarotfernbedienung
925 Shipping Protection Package Versandschutzpaket
992 Number Plate Attachement Management Steuerung Kennzeichenbefestigung

Information

220 Self-leveling Suspension Niveauregulierung
431 Interior Rr Vw Mirror W Aut Anti-d Innenspiegel,automatisch Abblendend
555 On-board Computer Bordcomputer
Edited by d_a_n1979

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/03/2019 at 20:05, Marc_86 said:

Looks cracking.

 

What's the plans...

 

Make it my own... ;):lol: 

 

Nothing set in stone yet; but the usual...

 

ASAP:

 

Full clean/detail inside & out, to my high OCD specs

New wiper blades (a trip to Halfrauds needed)

New floor mats and boot liner (already ordered)

Replacement front-end bulbs (D2S xenons, angel eyes, H7 main beams, indicator bulbs) - already ordered

Replacement interior LED bulbs - already ordered

 

Sooner rather than later:

 

Probably overhaul the cooling system for peace of mind (stat, water pump, top/bottom hoses, full flush and refill etc)

Look into retrofitting the OEM rear parking sensors - doesn't have any currently :roll: 

Replace the head unit (its crap and no Bluetooth)

Full brake overhaul with braided brake lines, Mtec discs & pads brake etc

Figure out the central locking and crap keys (not the diamond keys, but 2 older looking rubber style keys that don't work very well re the remote locking)
Alloys & tyres (this is just a thought currently unless I can find some decent 18" Style 32s ;) )

 

I've bits I want to do ASAP and the rest will be the usual 'as I go along'... :) 

 

 

Edited by d_a_n1979

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dan your 7 series was a good example, after looking at yours I had to go to Autotrader and see one but it is a bit big for me.

This e39  in very nice, congratulations Dan! keep us us  updated how it goes!

By the way, what you didn't like in 7 series/ looked like a nice barge!

I am catching myself sometimes thinking if I can go back to diesel and at the moment I am not ready to do that! :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Carl-e34 said:

Lovely and the interior is :wub:

 

Yeah, it was another thing I was hankering for, a non leather interior... It’s really comfy and very hooverable :lol: Should be a doddle to keep clean ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very very nice Dan. Looks lovely, plus being on the best E39 colour!

 

Fresh import or a previous UK owner, or two?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the Touring club @d_a_n1979 , looks like you've got yourself a clean honest example there mate.

I do like an Alcantara / Cloth interior as it has many benefits over Leather - Warm in Winter / Cool in Summer / Easy to keep clean / etc, also i'm not sure if its a placebo but most none Leather seats always seem to have more cushioning to them when compared to their Leather versions (Wish i could have got Alcantara E38 Contours).

Interested to know what made you sell the 7-Series?


Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jay_w said:

Welcome to the Touring club @d_a_n1979 , looks like you've got yourself a clean honest example there mate.

I do like an Alcantara / Cloth interior as it has many benefits over Leather - Warm in Winter / Cool in Summer / Easy to keep clean / etc, also i'm not sure if its a placebo but most none Leather seats always seem to have more cushioning to them when compared to their Leather versions (Wish i could have got Alcantara E38 Contours).

Interested to know what made you sell the 7-Series?


Jay

 

It's very clean; amazed at the condition in all honesty 8)

 

The interior really helped swing it for me too; a holy grail spec would have been heated alcantara, but don't think that was available, would have been good though ;) 

 

As per my other post in the E39 section; sold the land-barge due to a few reasons:

  • Dirty oil burner
  • A touch too wide for our driveway
  • Not an E39
  • Really wanted a touring, but couldn't find one, so bought the 7
  • Did I already say it was a dirty oil burner?

:lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

Very very nice Dan. Looks lovely, plus being on the best E39 colour!

 

Fresh import or a previous UK owner, or two?

 

Cheers Keith; very happy with it so far :) 

 

It's a one UK owner, from import; he had it 12 months but commute went from 5 miles to 100 miles, so he's had to buy a Euro crap-box :lol: 

 

He did have a plethora of other cars on his drive (S2K, Golf GTI) and a concourse MGA in his garage :shock: :roll: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Vlady said:

Dan your 7 series was a good example, after looking at yours I had to go to Autotrader and see one but it is a bit big for me.

This e39  in very nice, congratulations Dan! keep us us  updated how it goes!

By the way, what you didn't like in 7 series/ looked like a nice barge!

I am catching myself sometimes thinking if I can go back to diesel and at the moment I am not ready to do that! :)

 

 

Thanks pal; it was a lovely barge, just not for me. I never really fell in love with it and thats rarely happened with any of the cars I've owned... I wasn't sorry to see it go, so that says a lot!

 

They are a bit car; but then again I'm not a small lad; so it felt great for me, could be a pig to park up though :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I notice that the tailgate recess for the plate is 'normal' as I'd put it. I think I'm right in saying that there were square recess tailgates for the US and Japan markets, so maybe it's been changed over(?).

 

Having had a second look this morning, it really does look the part and, like mine, it appears to have the heavy tint privacy glass as well. I trust that look will grow on you as I recall you saying that you weren't a big fan of that sort of thing. Looks particularly good on a silver car. :D

 

And the big question is, any thoughts on wheels yet? Like you, I love the Style 66s, but I expect they will be replaced at some point! However, I think they suit the touring body better than the saloon.

 

Enjoy, that has to be a keeper...!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Loadmaster said:

I notice that the tailgate recess for the plate is 'normal' as I'd put it. I think I'm right in saying that there were square recess tailgates for the US and Japan markets, so maybe it's been changed over(?).

 

Having had a second look this morning, it really does look the part and, like mine, it appears to have the heavy tint privacy glass as well. I trust that look will grow on you as I recall you saying that you weren't a big fan of that sort of thing. Looks particularly good on a silver car. :D

 

And the big question is, any thoughts on wheels yet? Like you, I love the Style 66s, but I expect they will be replaced at some point! However, I think they suit the touring body better than the saloon.

 

Enjoy, that has to be a keeper...!

 

Yeah; it came over with the normal tailgate recess, think it was spec'd like that as it was a Euro spec car before being sent to Japan by the looks of the paperwork

 

Re the tints; probably going to get them removed in all honesty; not keen and it's a touch too dark in there for my liking, more so with the anthracite headlining and dark interior

 

Re alloys; if I can find a decent set of Style 32s in 18" flavour I'll probably go for those. However, with this being a silver car, I could be partial to a nice set of gunmetal alloys, so may see what BMAutosport have got etc :mrgreen: 

 

In no rush though Keith; more important bits to do first

Edited by d_a_n1979

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a great and well kept example - one of the best Sport touring colours too (my 525d Sport touring was silver :-)

 

Good luck with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, E39mad said:

Looks like a great and well kept example - one of the best Sport touring colours too (my 525d Sport touring was silver :-)

 

Good luck with it.

 

Thanks pal; very happy with it

 

Need a new key though; the current one is an old style, not the diamond shape one and it's not very good, only works right next to the car

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ultrasonic, rather than infra red, on Jap spec cars so I'm told.

 

The remote on mine only works occasionally, despite new batteries in both keys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Loadmaster said:

Ultrasonic, rather than infra red, on Jap spec cars so I'm told.

 

The remote on mine only works occasionally, despite new batteries in both keys.

 

Ah right; thanks Keith :roll: 

 

One does work up close; the other doesn't. Will see if I can get it re-sync'd with the car. Found a few different ways via bimmerforums.com

 

Mine has come bloody Clifford alarm fitted too and numerous aerials dotted around the car; feel like just snipping them all and pulling it all out :lol: 

 

Crappy tape head-unit too; but the full nav screen style, that's crap an'all :mad: :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dan,

 

Welcome to the Touring Club ! 

 

Sounds like a good base of a car from which to do the maintenance and modifications to make the car yours and the way you want it. 

 

There's currently a number of staggered 18 inch style 32 ET20/22 sets on ebay, some sets of 3 and some single ones, so you should be able to create a set of 5 for not too much outlay. There's a few sets of 18 inch Rondell 58's that have the very rare 10J rear rear and fairly aggressive offsets and which have also been mirror polished on the lips and powder coated centres etc, what's your max budget? that's assuming you like those !

 

The smaller number plate holder for the US/Japanese market I like the look of so one of those is on my Touring, was around £38 from BMW. I've had the Alcantara E39 seats previously and you'll likely need the Alcantara cleaner and those little bobble shaver things for jumpers so you can keep it looking as best as possible. Over time, I think the alcantara does wear and begins to look a bit off/tired and I always thought they should have made the seat centres alcantara and edges leather. 

 

Usual maintenance items and upgrades you'll get covered easily as you go along. I'm collecting bits for my mechanical overhaul now I've got it back from the bodyshop - new suspension, subframe bushes, having the engine/hoses/pipes/radiator/AC and anything else all done as my mileage is approaching 300K !

 

Can you keep OEM parking sensors and have them work if the OEM audio is removed? It's going to be a high quality and as discrete rear view camera for me, along with a rear dashcam camera that's also to be discrete, would be plug n play connection with an aftermarket head unit so if you do change in a similar way, might be worth looking at reverse camera or a good quality aftermarket setup. 

 

Have you started detailing it yet?!

 

Cheers, Dennis!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not touched it yet; lashing it down up here, so it's been a day of being inside with the fire roaring ;) 

 

Re the reverse sensors; thought they used their own little speaker and a module; or is that saloons only?

 

Re alloys; that's further down the line yet and my budget will be sensible; I don't do expensive alloys any more, just not worth it IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

I've been under the impression that the OEM reverse sensors do need/require the OEM audio setup. I haven't looked into it in any great depth as high quality aftermarket kits such as those from Steelmate can be added/installed easily and going the camera route means it's an AV input to a head unit and a switched power supply to activate it. Depending on what you do audio wise, that'll perhaps influence your decision. 

 

Hopefully you'll be lucky, but keep in the back of your mind about that auto gearbox as it will fail at some point in the future. Changing oil and flushing etc should help, but over the years, many owners have done a flush/overhaul/new TC etc and the unit has failed relatively shortly after, and at mileages lower than what you have. There's also been many reports that some cars have the original gearbox/fluid and no services etc and gone well past 200K miles. And, everything in between. Two gearbox overhauls for me, one lasted 100K miles/7 years, the other (from the same company) went back with loss of drive 9 times in 2015 - £3000 costs and now I'm so glad to be on a 5 speed manual at another £1500 or so - at least overhauling a manual is much easier and less expensive !

 

Cheers, Dennis!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi,

 

I've been under the impression that the OEM reverse sensors do need/require the OEM audio setup. I haven't looked into it in any great depth as high quality aftermarket kits such as those from Steelmate can be added/installed easily and going the camera route means it's an AV input to a head unit and a switched power supply to activate it. Depending on what you do audio wise, that'll perhaps influence your decision. 

 

Hopefully you'll be lucky, but keep in the back of your mind about that auto gearbox as it will fail at some point in the future. Changing oil and flushing etc should help, but over the years, many owners have done a flush/overhaul/new TC etc and the unit has failed relatively shortly after, and at mileages lower than what you have. There's also been many reports that some cars have the original gearbox/fluid and no services etc and gone well past 200K miles. And, everything in between. Two gearbox overhauls for me, one lasted 100K miles/7 years, the other (from the same company) went back with loss of drive 9 times in 2015 - £3000 costs and now I'm so glad to be on a 5 speed manual at another £1500 or so - at least overhauling a manual is much easier and less expensive !

 

Cheers, Dennis!

 

Dennis; you're preaching the already initiated pal...

 

Plus this box has had the all important fluid and filter change too; upon entry to the UK :) 

 

Will look into the Steelmate sensors; not interested in a reverse camera, simply not needed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks a nice example you've got there Dan, I'm looking forward to the updates as you bring it up to your usual standards. 

Presumably there's next to no rust if it's spent most of its life in Japan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Paddy O'Furniture said:

Looks a nice example you've got there Dan, I'm looking forward to the updates as you bring it up to your usual standards. 

Presumably there's next to no rust if it's spent most of its life in Japan. 

 

No rust at all pal; I was doing press-ups in the rain looking underneath, didn't want to kneel down on the soaked gravel driveway :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×