Flashtekuk

P1297 - MAP sensor fault?

Greetings peoples,

I have 2003 E39 525d. For a while I've been getting "P1297" error on my ECU, torque has done a fantastic job of keeping the check engine light off for MOT etc...

Do you think a replacement MAP sensor could 'cure' this issue, I read someplace (a while ago, so I can't remember where) that a series of out of spec MAP readings could result in P1297.

Thoughts??

Also, how hard is it to replace, looks like pop a (10mm?) nut, out with old, in with new, replace (10mm?) nut... so a 5 minute job?

ATB

Neil

How does it look different?

Changing the MAP sensor is one of those jobs that's easy to do once you've done it a couple of times but the first time you'll be cursing at how fiddly it seems. But yes, it's as simple as undoing the 10mm bolt, removing, disconnect the plug, connect to the new one, reinsert, tighen bolt back up.

Be mindful of aftermarket MAP sensors.. for some reason they can read a touch higher than BMW ones and in my 530d this manifested as the car sometimes, under full throttle, abruptly / violently cutting the power completely (even with the foot to the floor) before coming back on the power again. Putting in a genuine BMW map sensor cured it.

If I can find the other MAP sensor though (it might still be kicking around in the car) I could post it over to you so you could at least try it out and rule out the issue?

Stick your smart phone round the back and take a picture? I did find my spare MAP sensor so would be happy to post it out to you for not much money.

Edited by chicaneuk

Ok, so I finally got the lid up... turns out I was looking in the wrong place.

I think I found it, and it looks just like the after market one I bought from eBay... yay. hopefully I can get rid of the annoying P1297 message from torque once and for all...

Thanks for the suggestion of cameraphone @chicaneuk

Sensor replaced... I guess I need to give her a few days and see how she behaves... started up and seemed to run ok on the driveway though...

:-)

For anyone else that's having issues locating the sensor... as you're facing the front of the car with the lid up, put your right hand as far to the back of the engine block as you can on the RHS and then peer over the edge... one MAP sensor.

I was looking far to close to the centre of the block :-| 

It should be fairly apparent on the first drive if it's improved things. My MAP sensor was duff for a while after I'd bought the car, and when I swapped it for a new one, there was a considerable and noticable improvement in torque :)

Well that was a fun drive... feels like more power in the higher revs, no P1297 when I boot it, and the car takes off from lights like it's supposed to \o/ success methinks... 300 miles of driving to Devon this weekend... let's see how she behaves.