Sign in to follow this  
Kit

Age old steering question.

I’ve had a lot of work done to my tourings steering including a recon of the steering box (by cpc in Amersham), new front arms, tightening of the steering adjustment bolt, alignment, wheel refurb & new tires... yet I still feel like it’s not as tight as it should be.

I know a steering box will never feel like the rack and pinion on my e30, however I wonder if I can tighten the famous steering box screw a tiny bit to eek out a bit more stability?

Would love to get rid of that wandering feel, especially at low speed.

What advice would yoi give me about finding the sweet spot on the bolt? I know over tightening it wares parts out, but can’t help but feel it should be better after all the work carried out.

Thanks

Kit

(Here she is hanging out with some birds)

36E5494C-6EA8-49F4-8CB5-EFD8A572C6E1.jpeg

Edited by Kit

On a worn box, most of the wear is in the middle because you don't do that much driving at full lock. But if you adjust it up with the wheels line ahead, you may well find it jams on full lock. So it is a compromise. You have a refurb box so I would not have thought it need adjustment. Have you checked the big nut at the bottom of the steering column? If you tighten it up too much, you may lose your telescopic steering. But it might be worth a look. I see you have had a lot of work done at the front but are your rear subframe bushes OK? Worn ones will make the car wander too

There's no "sweet spot" for the adjustment screw - you just have to tighten it a bit, then road-test and see how it is.

Pay attention to how the steering wheel returns to the centre after you make a turn. When you notice that it no longer returns freely back to centre, then you know that you went a bit too far with tightening that screw. Also as you said, it's a steering box, NOT a rack, so don't expect a response like from modern cars.