mobilejo

This couldn't actually happen, could it?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2019/02/27/all-new-cars-to-have-speed-limiters-fitted-rules-european-parliament/amp/

However, a new ruling by the European Parliament could result in the mandatory installation of Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) in all new cars within three years.

Even if the U.K. leaves the European Union, it is expected that the E.U.’s  ISA rules will be adopted. The UK’s Vehicle Certification Agency has previously said that it intends to mirror E.U. rules post-Brexit. It is also unlikely that car makers will produce “speeding-allowed” vehicles for the U.K. market.

Modern speed limiters do not automatically apply brakes but cap the top speed of motor vehicles by restricting engine fuel supplies. The technology works by using a speed sign-recognition cameras and GPS-linked speed limit data.

Interesting.

I'm not a proponent of irresponsible driving or excessive speed, but at the same time having every car physically limited at all times on all roads seems to the speed limit seems ludicrous. Most people would never see over 30mph on the majority of their journeys. I just cannot see how this will happen, as the idea seems bonkers to me.

What do others think?

Also, random thought: Would the last non-limited cars suddenly be worth a small fortune? 

Don't you just love the EU? :rolleyes:

This would cause pandemonium on the roads by putting cars in the same position that trucks are in,  ie making it very difficult and long winded  to overtake. 

3 minutes ago, Paddy O'Furniture said:

This would cause pandemonium on the roads by putting cars in the same position that trucks are in,  ie making it very difficult and long winded  to overtake. 

That pandemonium is what concerns me most - overtaking on suitable roads, and also every car on minor every road doing 30mph ALL the time. Surely there would be a mass slowdown. Many many 30mph roads move along at 40mph when its not rush hour. I don't have to overtake on minor roads because everyone is moving at 35+ - some old geezer in a Honda Jazz doing 27 is what usually causes the most frustration.

The system relies upon the car being able to read road signs accurately or have up to date speed limits in the sat nav.  As those who have speed recognition systems in their cars already will know, they are not reliable.  Likewise, those with sat nav know what a pain it is to update and (in the case of the G30 - and my experience) over the air updates don't work either on time or even at all.  

Similar sentiment here.  https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/119620/are-we-going-to-see-mandatory-speed-limiters-fitted-to-new-cars-  From what it says in the link, those lobbying for this and especially their clients are reportedly only in it for the money...

However, 20 years from now when we are all being driven about in autonomous vehicles...

1 hour ago, Johnny Grabble said:

The system relies upon the car being able to read road signs accurately or have up to date speed limits in the sat nav.  As those who have speed recognition systems in their cars already will know, they are not reliable.  Likewise, those with sat nav know what a pain it is to update and (in the case of the G30 - and my experience) over the air updates don't work either on time or even at all.  

Similar sentiment here.  https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/119620/are-we-going-to-see-mandatory-speed-limiters-fitted-to-new-cars-  From what it says in the link, those lobbying for this and especially their clients are reportedly only in it for the money...

However, 20 years from now when we are all being driven about in autonomous vehicles...

Good point!

I know that most new technology is flawed and not fit for purpose, but for probably the first time I'm actually hoping for it.

I guess you could always stick some tape over the KAFAS camera... :D I used to do that on the E46 light sensor to trick the auto lights so I would have the xenons on whenever the car was running.

4 hours ago, mobilejo said:

That pandemonium is what concerns me most - overtaking on suitable roads, and also every car on minor every road doing 30mph ALL the time. Surely there would be a mass slowdown. Many many 30mph roads move along at 40mph when its not rush hour. I don't have to overtake on minor roads because everyone is moving at 35+ - some old geezer in a Honda Jazz doing 27 is what usually causes the most frustration.

Now I don't have an issue with people speeding on say 50/60/70 limit roads when conditions permit but speeding in a 30 limit is a not clever whatever the state of the traffic - it's 30 because it's built up and kids, pedestrians etc are likely to be around. 

It's people doing 35 or 40 in a 30 limit that bring on the nanny state of driving that we all fear and the speeders will be the one complaining the most when the powers that be change things to stop it.

Edited by E39mad

Wouldn’t really worry tbh. Within 2/3 months there would be an update to something like Carly or BimmerCode to code it out :D

It's headlined to get clicks, I've seen similar doing the rounds on social media. 

My F11 had a speed limiter and I loved it for the average cameras but it was obviously set by the driver so irrelevant in the respect they want you to believe. 

Its inevitable . Perhaps a speed profile of all journeys will be maintained , and if your speed limit violations hits a percentage, then thats an automatic 3 points

I'm old enough to remember the 1990s, probably the last era of unfettered driving. I remember driving on a road (A607) at 60 mph and thinking I used to hit speeds that are simply unfeasible today. Even motorways have slowed down

Edited by Carrera77

:o I can’t believe I’m reading this. I created a prototype of this system when I was at uni and tested it on my mom’s car. It got the speed limit data from tomtom’s database rather than use cameras to read road speed limit signs but it’s pretty much the same idea and oh mine just cut the power when you reach the limit with no assisted breaking. 

My summary then was that this would do more harm than good because there are too many scenario where individual vehicles need to travel at different speeds to make commuting via road less painful. 

I did think that it could be applied to certain vehicle by the police i.e. during police car chases. 

58 minutes ago, larriebee said:

My summary then was that this would do more harm than good because there are too many scenario where individual vehicles need to travel at different speeds to make commuting via road less painful. 

I did think that it could be applied to certain vehicle by the police i.e. during police car chases. 

I’m in 2 minds. I do feel that it’ll come - it’s obviously needed before autonomous vehicles are viable - but there are certainly a few practical and safety issues to put to bed first. It wouldn’t be difficult to allow for the odd minimal burst of speed say, which is something normal speed cameras can’t cope with although the average ones do.

Like anyone with a car like ours I enjoy putting my foot down when there’s the opportunity. There are lots of unclassified roads around here where few care. I do however use the speed limiter much more than the constant speed feature because it prevents me inadvertently picking up the points to say nothing of maybe hitting someone in town, and that’s not so very much different to what’s being mooted.

15 hours ago, larriebee said:

:o I can’t believe I’m reading this. I created a prototype of this system when I was at uni and tested it on my mom’s car. 

Oh dear,  you should've patented it. 

15 hours ago, larriebee said:

^^ exactly this,  but the powers that be won't care about that. 

A slightly more sensible idea of just warning about overspeeding instead of slowing. Only needed a few inaccurate/faulty  GPS readings together with different delays in the decision circuits and responses to get a few rear-enders if cars slow down unexpectedly in the middle of busy traffic. The idea of testing alcohol in breath etc. is nothing new and likely easily defeated of course (though a much more sensible idea).

Edited by Boba

1 hour ago, larriebee said:

Looks like it is official:

https://apple.news/A2l9YSajLQwq0Fxg7AYJn-w

Yep, two details which seems to buried int he stories and likely to be missed by most people are (1) the system will be switchable by the driver, so like auto stop/start, you could just turn it off every-time you start the car if so inclined and (2) when activated, you can still exceed the limit by pressing down hard on the accelerator - much like the speed limit feature in our cars now.

So it seems more a case of "it will be mandatory to fit a speed limiting system in all cars but it won't be mandatory for drivers to use it";  that's just not as catchy a headline though is it.

On the BBC online news, words to the effect of "you can over-ride the system by "stamping down" on the accelerator" - well that's safe isn't it :wacko: And given the number of un-warranted break checks already being reported (on here and elsewhere) it seems the development of the technology has a long way to go before the safety benefit outweighs the disadvantage: a basic risk management principle that is always overlooked by the likes Brake......................

23 minutes ago, Mr H said:

On the BBC online news, words to the effect of "you can over-ride the system by "stamping down" on the accelerator" - well that's safe isn't it :wacko: 

That's how it works on my car now when I have activated the speed limiter. Its actually not that bad, its essentially just activating the kickdown.

The speed limiter device, called intelligent speed assistance, or ISA, uses GPS data and sign recognition cameras to detect speed limits where the car is travelling, and then will sound a warning and automatically slow down the vehicle if it is exceeding the limit.

However, drivers will be able to override the device simply by pushing hard on the accelerator, reassuring some motoring groups that have argued that in certain situations – such as when trying to swiftly overtake a vehicle in front – speeding up could be safer.

So you have the software wanting to slow the car down and the driver wanting to speed up. Does the driver have a certain interval between the warning and stomping on the accelerator?  OK its a few years in the future but the engineering philosophy doesnt seem good

This is beginning to sound like the Boeing 737 Max 8 …...

Hold on i understood it differently, albeir did not read the article in full. Wont this mean that things like Speed Limit Info will become mandatory kit in every car?

Considering the GPS on my phone couldn't accurately map my run around London on Sunday i don't hold out much hope for this working....

I've often thought it would be handy to be able to press a button to keep me automatically to the speed limits.  Would save me from any accidental penalty points and on motorwork road works (although it'd have to be mighty techno to be able to do the last bit).

However, I wouldn't want it imposed on me.

7 hours ago, SuperDave said:

And motorbikes? :mellow:

Hhaha - a GSXR limited to 70mph! :lol:

Edited by Loadmaster

On 07/03/2019 at 07:47, Paddy O'Furniture said:

Oh dear,  you should've patented it. 

Getting a Patent sorted out is relatively straightforward. 

Enforcing a patent costs a hell of a lot of money when you find someone/another company infringing it !!

Cheers, Dennis!