mobilejo

This couldn't actually happen, could it?

6 minutes ago, whiskychaser said:

That presupposes we don't have sovereignty now. Some would argue that is not the case. 

Well argue under a No Deal that Parliament cannot revoke this?

7 minutes ago, whiskychaser said:

Revoking something the DfT decides to implement may be a tad difficult.

That’s a different argument. 

8 minutes ago, whiskychaser said:

I am curious to know what a 'Fadal State' is. I did search

iPhone typo :lol: with Federation aka Federal :lol:

5 hours ago, kobayashi said:

1. This is merely a proposal rather than passed legislation.

2. The system can be overridden or switched off. 

It looks set to be mandatory in 2022.  Why should my driving pleasure in a country which has one of the best records of driving safety be dictated by the European Commission and not the UK Government?

You have stated that that this is the EU wanting to control and monitor us like they are some kind of sinister group hell bent on ruining our lives. I can’t see how you get to that using this proposed system as an example. 

With my TomTom for me to have traffic management I need to share my data which is linked to my email address. 

The EU and the Irish PM Leo Varadkar said a few days ago that if there is a no deal then checks will be done away from the border. This is Maximum Facilitation which May suggested to the EU months ago, but the EU wouldn’t entertain it in the current comatose withdrawal agreement (hope MV4 does not live for another day). 

If that’s not the European Commission being sinister I don’t know what is.

Edit: if the EU lie about not being able to entertain Maximum Facilitation then why will I want them to know my driving habits via Real Time Traffic Management System   

I don’t wish to argue argue with you about it. 

Me neither and I’m not just stating my opinion and nothing more. 

Edited by nealpina
Wrong order and please see my edit

12 hours ago, pauliexjr said:

Er, there is, it's called 'Cruise Control' and it automatically limits the speed you do, what's more it's adjustable at the touch of a button to accommodate those pesky variable speed areas and roadworks too!

Yeh, I find CC pretty useful even on non-motorway journeys. Allows me to watch what's going on outside without forever glancing at the speedo. :)

1 hour ago, nealpina said:

Well argue under a No Deal that Parliament cannot revoke this?

That’s a different argument. 

iPhone typo :lol: with Federation aka Federal :lol:

It is a moot point because either way, the DfT is in favour of it. Many thanks for confirming it was a typo :lol: 

22 minutes ago, whiskychaser said:

It is a moot point because either way, the DfT is in favour of it. Many thanks for confirming it was a typo :lol: 

Please stop avoiding the question.

Let me help you out without using the word Sovereignty:  As a member of the EU the DfT and UK will abide by EU rulings like these.  Therefore if we have a no deal can the UK Parliament overrule this? 

2 hours ago, nealpina said:

Please stop avoiding the question.

Let me help you out without using the word Sovereignty:  As a member of the EU the DfT and UK will abide by EU rulings like these.  Therefore if we have a no deal can the UK Parliament overrule this? 

If you really do not know the answers to your questions, perhaps you might send me a PM? I have no intention of helping turn this into a Brexit thread.

53 minutes ago, whiskychaser said:

If you really do not know the answers to your questions, perhaps you might send me a PM? I have no intention of helping turn this into a Brexit thread.

I'm not asking myself, I'm asking you to answer a question which you pulled me on.  Why the need for a PM?  This is not a Brexit thread, I have no intention of talking about Brexit, because we have enough clowns in parliament talking about it with no consensus, and I have misplaced my Krusty outfit.  I don't understand how if we leave with no deal (if we have another deal as  a softer Brexit then we may not be able to change these things if we are rule takers),  then why we can't overturn this legislation? which the media and DfT says will still happen once we leave or at the latest by 2022, and this has perplexed me - nothing more.  Parliament changes non-EU legislation/laws all the time, and if we leave with no deal then this will no longer be EU law but UK domestic law.  

Please stop avoiding the question and answer, thank you

Edited by nealpina

C'mon folks... Nicey nicey please :) 

I've not voiced my opinion on this thread as I could see where it was heading from the outset! I'd only get angry then say something and get a rollocking :lol: 

I think that it's great that those on high think that we plebs are too stupid to control our motor vehicles properly... I guess that they have contempt for all of us, not just stupid Leave voters

Road safety groups lobby governments to either reduce speed limits or strongly enforce current limits. For governments it’s a relatively easy way to look like you are doing something about reducing road deaths and serious injuries. 

We are car car enthusiasts who like driving, most of us feel that the way forward is better driving education, lane discipline and limiting unnecessary distractions whilst driving. I think we are probably a minority. Most people just think less speed, less chance of an accident. 

Most governents try to do what the largest group of people want (even if they are misinformed or haven’t actually thought about it), especially if they think that might get them re-elected. That is all this is.

3 hours ago, Karl said:

I think that it's great that those on high think that we plebs are too stupid to control our motor vehicles properly... I guess that they have contempt for all of us, not just stupid Leave voters

This topic has nowt to do with Brexit, please stop dragging it up and labelling folk 

46 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

This topic has nowt to do with Brexit, please stop dragging it up and labelling folk 

But you must admit that by the very fact that your cars will be fitted with an automatic speed limiter, someone has decided that you are not to be trusted with the operation of a motor vehicle..

2 hours ago, Karl said:

But you must admit that by the very fact that your cars will be fitted with an automatic speed limiter, someone has decided that you are not to be trusted with the operation of a motor vehicle..

No, agreed, it’s fecking stupid... But still nowt to do with Brexit ;) 

I’m talking about this EU legislation automatic cruise control and backing up my opinions because I have been asked to.   Unfortunately the examples I’ve given does refer to current affairs, and the repealing of the European Communities Act 1972.  I am still waiting for an answer to a very simple question, but the person will not answer and uses clever language and being somewhat smart to avoid the question, and I’m not asking them as a trick question.

However it has been said, ‘FFS mute him’ which is rather insulting. I however have had worse.  I’ve made it clear I’m not talking about Brexit.  I’m backing up my opinion of the EU legislation automatic cruise control using current affairs, and that this technology can be used to monitor us.  If people want to read more into my opinions, that's not my intention or fault

Edited by nealpina

15 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

No, agreed, it’s fecking stupid... But still nowt to do with Brexit ;) 

I'm not sure that I agree with you. How Brexit turns out will have a bearing on how the UK adopts these rules from giving the driver the option to use this driver aid to mandatory use of it with the possibility of prosecution if you are found to have disabled it..

Back to the topic, logic says it is unenforceable due to things like temporary roadwork speed restrictions and variable speed restrictions in areas around schools.

These are not notified to the GPS system and as such don't get updated in real time, if at all, so how will a manufacturer installed speed limited cope if it relies on local speed limit data?

The concept is so farcical if it hadn't been publicised last week i would have suspected some April Fool's Day prankster at work!

Back to the topic, logic says it is unenforceable due to things like temporary roadwork speed restrictions and variable speed restrictions in areas around schools.

These are not notified to the GPS system and as such don't get updated in real time, if at all, so how will a manufacturer installed speed limited cope if it relies on local speed limit data?

The concept is so farcical if it hadn't been publicised last week i would have suspected some April Fool's Day prankster at work!
It could read the speed limit signs, same as the human pilots can. I'm not saying that's what it will do, I've no idea, but tech to spot and read speed limits in only 2 or 3 formats is very doable.

Sorry it was always on topic we can’t talk about EU legislation in the current climate with a pair of rose tinted glasses. 

Firsly as previous mentioned my TomTom is fairly accurate with its live service. Also other car manufacturers SatNavs use Real Time Traffic Update. 

Secondly it will likely use Galileo

Thirdly it will likely use 5G technology or something similar which will interlink to Galileo. 

The techology which will be used for this will be very advance. 

On 30/03/2019 at 19:55, Karl said:

Well, specifically they've decided we can't be trusted to stick to the speed limit. Would you say they're wrong?

According to the RAC, you will be able to turn the system off. And when it is on, it will reduce power but will not apply the brakes. You will also be able to override it by putting your foot down hard. Not sure that I fancy three lanes of traffic backing off suddenly without so much as a brake light to give you a clue.

They also report that the ETSC recommends fitting data loggers to keep track of the system. It is not clear if that means to make sure it is working correctly - or keep track of what you are up to.

9 hours ago, Spandex said:

Well, specifically they've decided we can't be trusted to stick to the speed limit. Would you say they're wrong?

I guess that all depends if you are the kind of person who believes that drivers who adhere to the speed limits are safe drivers