mobilejo

This couldn't actually happen, could it?

If it relies on speed limit signage, the councils will begin moaning about the cost of cleaning signage and stopping shrubs and trees overgrowing and covering the signs. 

Imagine being on a 40, coming in to a 30 but car says it's 40 and then you get caught speeding. 

Too many flaws and I don't think it'll work, especially when people start planting trees near speed limit signs and spraying them with muck before racing up and down the carriageway to clear the DPF filter!

If it relies on GPS then echo comments above about it being unreliable. GPS won't be updated instantly so has the hard shoulder running and variable speed limits been a waste of time?

I know I'm removing the whole human element in the above but that's what will happen. People will switch off to usual sensible speed travel and start thinking "if the car says I can do 40 then I shall do 40, in fact I'll keep my foot to the floor and not lift it and the car will automatically stop me speeding!". The loud pedal will be a switch like go-karts!

/rant over

On 27/03/2019 at 14:50, TheDarkLord said:

I've often thought it would be handy to be able to press a button to keep me automatically to the speed limits.  Would save me from any accidental penalty points and on motorwork road works (although it'd have to be mighty techno to be able to do the last bit).

However, I wouldn't want it imposed on me.

Er, there is, it's called 'Cruise Control' and it automatically limits the speed you do, what's more it's adjustable at the touch of a button to accommodate those pesky variable speed areas and roadworks too!

Edited by pauliexjr

10 hours ago, whiskychaser said:

My understanding is that unlike a speed limiter, you will be able to override the system.

Yes,  hopefully it will be just like "start/stop" where you turn it off as soon as you start the engine. 

12 hours ago, whiskychaser said:

My understanding is that unlike a speed limiter, you will be able to override the system. If that is correct then it is pretty pointless. Talk about 'Nanny State'.

Good job it is Brexit day today.....:lol:

13 minutes ago, Karl said:

Good job it is Brexit day today.....:lol:

I read that 'Intelligent speed assistance' will not come into force until 2022 and the UK will accept it.  Not sure if the same applies to Brexit :lol:

Just now, whiskychaser said:

I read that 'Intelligent speed assistance' will not come into force until 2022 and the UK will accept it.  Not sure if the same applies to Brexit :lol:

Brexit is never ending... The speed thing all depends on if it is a legal requirement in the UK, if not the remappers will do a good trade in reprogramming the speed limiters

1 hour ago, Karl said:

The speed thing all depends on if it is a legal requirement in the UK, if not the remappers will do a good trade in reprogramming the speed limiters

Department for Transport appears to want it. But how they will police it is another thing, particularly if you can turn it off.  The thought of drivers relying on AEB to slow them down in time for a speed limit sign is frightening 

Not looked into this system in any detail - too busy since it has been announced. If it’s with speedo calibration then this will be inaccurate. If it’s being done by Real Time Traffic Management and a car’s GPS/Sat Nav then it will be fairly accurate. As my TomTom is accurate but does make the odd mistake through roadworks, but is this because The Highway Agency hasn’t updated a management system? 

The EU wants to control how we drive and monitor us. If a hard Brexit then we can revoke this. The EU do think they are God’s, I guess the next think they will do, is to control how much daylight we receive

Edited by nealpina

I haven’t looked into this in any detail either. I know that the system Volvo are proposing can be overridden by the drivers least if not switched off entirely. I can’t see how other manufacturers would make a system that is permanently engaged for potential litigation purposes if nothing else. Certainly any high performance car manufacturer would strongly oppose such a system as it would render their product virtually pointless. 

As usual the story gets blown out of all proportion and gets reported as the evil EU trying to control every tiny aspect of your life. 

3 hours ago, Karl said:

Brexit is never ending... The speed thing all depends on if it is a legal requirement in the UK, if not the remappers will do a good trade in reprogramming the speed limiters

Yes, pointless if remappers can get around it, just as they currently do with HP cars.

8 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

As usual the story gets blown out of all proportion and gets reported as the evil EU trying to control every tiny aspect of your life. 

Really please convice otherwise with facts 

6 hours ago, pauliexjr said:

Er, there is, it's called 'Cruise Control' and it automatically limits the speed you do, what's more it's adjustable at the touch of a button to accommodate those pesky variable speed areas and roadworks too!

Yes, but they can catch you unawares sometimes - especially when there is a variable limit on a motorway.  Would also be good in towns you are not familiar with Mr Er.

4 hours ago, nealpina said:

The EU wants to control how we drive and monitor us. If a hard Brexit then we can revoke this.

Auto Express quotes the DfT as saying that the UK will adopt it irrespective of Brexit:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/103530/uk-set-to-adopt-eu-mandated-speed-limiter

2 minutes ago, whiskychaser said:

Auto Express quotes the DfT as saying that the UK will adopt it irrespective of Brexit:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/103530/uk-set-to-adopt-eu-mandated-speed-limiter

Err I did say revoke

If we ever leave the Fadal State of Europe, then our own sovereignty can decide if we revoke this regulation at a later stage. 

4 hours ago, nealpina said:

Really please convice otherwise with facts 

Well, let’s see. Can this system be overridden or switched off? If it can then how exactly are you being controlled by the EU?

2 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

Well, let’s see. Can this system be overridden or switched off? If it can then how exactly are you being controlled by the EU?

Err?

I’m not debating that. I don’t understand this - please convice me this is not true

4 hours ago, kobayashi said:

5 hours ago, nealpina said:

The EU wants to control how we drive and monitor us. If a hard Brexit then we can revoke this. The EU do think they are God’s, I guess the next think they will do, is to control how much daylight we receive

I don’t see how this system makes you think the above. What you have posted is not a proportional response in my eyes. 

7 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

I don’t see how this system makes you think the above. What you have posted is not a proportional response in my eyes. 

I can answer that easily but your not answering what I asked. 

Please answer what I asked first, thank you

Edited by nealpina

32 minutes ago, nealpina said:

Err I did say revoke

If we ever leave the Fadal State of Europe, then our own sovereignty can decide if we revoke this regulation at a later stage. 

That presupposes we don't have sovereignty now. Some would argue that is not the case. Revoking something the DfT decides to implement may be a tad difficult.

While this a discussion is about ISA, I am curious to know what a 'Fadal State' is. I did search

Edited by whiskychaser

14 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

Just realised was you quoting me with (without directly quoting) the above post when you was wrote this?

5 hours ago, kobayashi said:

As I thought you were making a general statement. 

5 minutes ago, nealpina said:

I can answer that easily but your not answering what I asked. 

Please answer what I asked first, thank you

What that this story hasn’t been blown out of proportion and reported as the EU trying to control every aspect of our lives?

Ok.

1. This is merely a proposal rather than passed legislation.

2. The system can be overridden or switched off. 

You have stated that that this is the EU wanting to control and monitor us like they are some kind of sinister group hell bent on ruining our lives. I can’t see how you get to that using this proposed system as an example. 

I dont wish to argue argue with you about it. We obviously have opposing views so maybe we should just leave it at that.