Steve van hool

Household gas leak!

Having checked the gas meter reading before bed, the last 3 digits were 187, on getting up 7 hours later the meter reading was 221, this is with all appliances turned off, including the central heating.

Does this mean we may have a gas leak somewhere?

I'd probably isolate at the meter using the big handle and await response of a pro. 

Household gas has way less smell to it these days to reduce false leak reports... 

Can you smell gas anywhere.

That seems a lot no matter if it is decimals of cubic feet or cubic metres Just get a gas safe engineer round and get them to test it ASAP..

Also check you don't have a suspicious hose pipe going to your neighbours house from the meter

Spookily I had a call from the plumber servicing the appliances in a house I let out, he's had to cap the gas as it failed the drop test.

He's looked for the leak and says it's tiny but had to cap it as there is no tolerance when the appliances are discon.

So he's back on Wednesday to investigate further and luckily the carpets are up as it's just coming to the end of a refurb at the moment otherwise it would be a ball ache.

As he pointed out even though it's tiny is could be escaping up a cavity or filling a void somewhere, worst case I'll need to re-pipe from the meter, best case it's the meter or network pipe which will obvs be FOC.

Hope you get it sorted.