pauliexjr

Trump, like him or loath him?

Copied and pasted from FB so apologies for the grey background, I don't have the time to retype it!

Someone asked "Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?" 

Nate White, an articulate and witty writer, wrote this magnificent response:

"A few things spring to mind. Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem.

For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace - all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed.
So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.
Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing - not once, ever.
I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility - for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman. But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is - his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers.
And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults - he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness. There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface.

Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront.

Well, we don’t. We see it as having no inner world, no soul. And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist. Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that. He’s not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat. He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege. And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully.  That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead.

There are unspoken rules to this stuff - the Queensberry rules of basic decency - and he breaks them all. He punches downwards - which a gentleman should, would, could never do - and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless - and he kicks them when they are down.

So the fact that a significant minority - perhaps a third - of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think 'Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:
* Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are.
* You don't need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.

This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss. After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of shit. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum. God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid. He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart.

In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws - he would make a Trump. And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumps of hair and scream in anguish: 'My God… what… have… I… created?

If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set."

Edited by pauliexjr

I disagree somewhat..

I thought Trump would be a disaster...

But the more it goes on, the more I like him.

He's everything the government isn't.

He's done everything in his power to uphold his election promises...

He does what he thinks is the right thing for his country, and let's face it, more jobs, more business, and despite the democrats nay saying about the tax cuts, more revenue than ever before.

My investments in USD are looking great.

Actually bringing North Korea to the table with South Korea, and getting the nuclear testing stopped. And what seems to be progress with the denuclearisation of the Korean peninsular, I couldn't see any of that happening under Clinton.

Now the investigations are wrapping up with no evidence of the Russian collision, in the wake of the biggest temper tantrum in history, I actually think he's going to get a second term and if he keeps going the way he is, he's going to deserve it.

I really didn't like the man coming in to the presidency, but he's surprised me and I think he's just what America, and probably the world, needs right now.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

I'm not disputing what he has done and is doing for the USA, the actual title of the item is "Like him or loathe him?" and the tenet of Nate White's article is a reflection of the man's character and personality.

He is, undoubtedly, a bully and a charmless pillock with all the social graces of a rutting warthog, that doesn't mean he is by default a bad leader, just one who uses flexed muscles rather than diplomacy and is only too happy to kick someone whilst they are down,  that's why the majority of people I know, both here and in the US, actively dislike the man.

He sure is keeping election promises... More than the crowd down London and that's all the Parties included.  

80 % of the people that were very angry concerning Trumps victory here in Britain that i came across typically could not stand the fact ...

That the man was legally elected to power by the American people and went against their own snowflake two party nothing changes Westminster style of politics where  years are wasted while the two parties  play politics while really doing nothing

but destabilise the country  with their crap.  

Edited by USTBUTLER

I suppose in terms of showing leadership and putting American first he deserves some credit, but this has been at the expense of alienating half the world. He's not stupid, but he has done some amazingly stupid things, most notably denying statements that he has made and which are on record. 

There's no doubting that he's a bully and a braggart, and his attitude towards women is legendary. I don't trust the man and I don't know how a UK government of any complexion can trust him when it comes to trade or anything else. He will at best drive a hard deal and at worst will shaft us. And yet many seem to think he will be our salvation. 

As for bringing N & S Korea together and ending nuclear testing, it may have stopped for now but I doubt it will be permanent. 

I do agree that our politicians all need a good kicking too. 

Edited by pidgeonpost

I like him,  I wish he was over here sorting Brexit for us, he'd tell all those Eurotw@ts in Brussels where to get off. 

Edited by Paddy O'Furniture

I sort of like him because - like Corbyn - he's lit a fucking great fire under the sorry complacent arse of politics. The morning I found out he was elected, I laughed out loud. Clinton really thought she had that in the bag. 

The same with JC - he's taking Labour back to what a Labour party should be about and not a slightly second rate Tory party under that clown Millipede. It's funny to see the likes of that slippery Chukkkkka Umunna (who some c*nt called 'the British Obama' - seriously...fuck off!) throw a paddy and reveal themselves for what they are. In it for their own ends. 

Two interesting and resilient politicians, and interesting times ahead. It ain't going to be boring! 

On 22/02/2019 at 18:55, Paddy O'Furniture said:

I like him,  I wish he was over here sorting Brexit for us, he'd tell all those Eurotw@ts in Brussels where to get off. 

I can smell the gammon from here

He is an obnoxious cock at the best of times, but he’s sorted more in Murica that Obama ever did, Trump said he’d do this & he has...

You could never change his ways though; god knows how another politician will follow in his footsteps

Agree though, he’ll get a 2nd term IMO

How do the posters above who seem to support him feel about the lies he tells?

By authenticated independent research he is way above five or even six lies a day since he has been in Office.

I genuinely wonder why people support him throughout this and would genuinely be interested in your replies and justifications of your support for what you believe he has has done since his inauguration into the Presidential Office. 

Exactly. He’s a lying sack of shit with no moral compass at all. I don’t see how anyone can think there is anything positive about him being president. He is a danger to the entire planet. 

Still hoping to go on a break there this year despite everything, had a brilliant time last year although the wife only narrowly escaped pissing off a few US residents with her strongy voiced opinions on Trump when asked... :wacko: lucky they saw our Brexit predicament as more of an issue and we settled on all having our own problems.

He tells plenty of porkies, has spent his life doing it and not having to do it very well either... I get why he's so popular with many peeps there but i reckon the recent shutdown has opened some eyes. Personally i dont think he'll get a second term - but he'll say he didn't want it anyway. 

42 minutes ago, Karl said:

And yet, at this moment in time, the grumpy orange one appears to have killed considerably less people than his Nobel peace prize winning predecessor in a similar period of time...

No, he's just working on achieving the body count a different way - by denying climate change and promoting the trashing of the planet through his policies. :lol:

Here's  a bit of light reading. A bit more here too. :)

I'm afraid that I agree with him on man made climate change.. If Governments actually believed that guff, then they would actually do something about it rather than implement revenue raising policies that can only be described as comical 

But Governments = Politicians = people (well some of them) in bed with big corporations. Some climate change is natural e.g. ice age and stuff, but plenty is down to us humanoids - including me and my 'dirty diesel'. 

Show me any politician that doesn't lie.
A lot of what Trump is said to have lied about has also been proven to be true much further down the track.
I'm not trusting the media at all lately because so much of what they've published has been proven to be flat out fabrication.
None of them can be honest.
When I go digging for the truth, it's very often Trump that's been closest to the mark, and that's kinda disturbing.

5 hours ago, StRaNgEdAyS said:

Show me any politician that doesn't lie.
A lot of what Trump is said to have lied about has also been proven to be true much further down the track.
I'm not trusting the media at all lately because so much of what they've published has been proven to be flat out fabrication.
None of them can be honest.
When I go digging for the truth, it's very often Trump that's been closest to the mark, and that's kinda disturbing.

Ahh, this is the 'all politicians lie anyway' combined with the 'I don't trust the media' solution to his lies.

Can you see the inherent problem with this argument?