Cribert

Which e60/e61

I think when vehicles get to this age you have to be guided by condition and service history. You may have a low mileage example that is cosmetically perfect but has suffered mechanically after spending 10 years commuting 2 miles each way to work when the engine has never warmed up. On t'other hand you can encounter a high miler that has suffered a bit cosmetically but has good mechanicals as everything has reached the correct operating temperature.

A premium marque should carry the high miles well if the maintenance is up to snuff. The right car is out there but it can be a frustrating business finding it! :lol:

47 minutes ago, RandomName said:

The adaptive headlight problem would worry me. Those units are hard to come by aftermarket and are over 1k each from bmw. Even 2nd hand they are not cheap.

That's true enough. I'd have thought that might be covered by the BMW warranty.

Hard isn't it, I waited more than 6 months on a lowish budget with 7+ must have preferences, then one day...

Some more possible options for you here.

Edit: What's the road tax on a 2006 530i N52 in a touring configuration under the current legislation?

Edited by DarkHorse

Ah right thanks, not too bad. Sometimes Autotrader ads indicate 230g/km at £540.

The N53 saloon auto can be £250 but in a touring manual mine jumped up a band to £290 :(.

What I meant was it is a lot of money to spend based on the OP's needs. He doesn't think he does the mileage to justify a diesel, but I don't understand how spending 3k more on a petrol car solves that problem?

18 minutes ago, edd_jedi said:

What I meant was it is a lot of money to spend based on the OP's needs. He doesn't think he does the mileage to justify a diesel, but I don't understand how spending 3k more on a petrol car solves that problem?

I understand.

i know my way about a petrol. I just worry about diesels too much

Fair enough! This was my first diesel too having owned about 10 petrol BMWs before. It was a bit of a learning curve and I had to spend some money fixing diesel related stuff, but now I've had it for a while I'm pretty happy with it. I wouldn't rule them out if you do a bit of research first, there are loads of 530d or even 535ds about for 3-4k.

On 23/02/2019 at 21:31, DarkHorse said:

Ah right thanks, not too bad. Sometimes Autotrader ads indicate 230g/km at £540.

The N53 saloon auto can be £250 but in a touring manual mine jumped up a band to £290 :(.

It is £540, I have the exact same car, 2006 530i E61 auto

Just paid my pot hole tax (I know it's vehicle license and not road tax) which was £290 for a LCI 535d E61.. Sodding extortionate.. 

As for economy Managed 44mpg Sunday- Monday East Sussex to Hereford and back, which isn't bad. I did put the cruise on the speed limit especially around the M25 and road works and never ventured more than 1-2% over the speed limit. Except for overtaking a very annoying Jag owner who though his XF was quicker .. It wasn't :evil:

535d only come in auto, i think they can chew manual boxes or the clutches with the torque.. They can also chew autoboxes if you're not careful with oil changes