Vee

Code reader recommendations

I've been looking into standalone code readers like the Peake I used for my old E39. I think I've narrowed it down to Carly or the C110, but is it correct that the C110 won't force DPF regens? Will the Carly suffice to read and clear codes? Any other suggestions that aren't laptop based?

12 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Imo Carly is superb and very handy as it’s so mobile... 

It’ll do about everything you need and worth it’s costs

+1 for that. Not the cheapest but very convenient and the list of capabilities seems to be growing. Produces decent diagnostic reports too. 

Carly is a bloody rip off, you would be better off buying the diagnostics cable so you can have ISTA on a laptop and B-tools on your phone that lets you request regenerations, it cost's a tenner so slaps Carly in the face with it's subscription crap. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.pw.btool.expert&hl=en_US

The lite version is free but obviously doesn't do the regen side of things but is good for limited live data. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.pw.btool.lite&hl=en

It also works with the £5 ELM adapters you can buy on ebay but not for regeneration.

Edited by GoNz0

You say that; but for someone like me who has no access to an MS laptop and doesn't want to go down that route as a) I've no idea what I'm doing and b.) I wouldn't know where to start using Microsoft again, Carly for BMW provides a very good tool that I can use straight away , with no issues and it has a very good support level too

It's horses for courses; but to completely obliterate it, because you don't agree with its workings, isn't helpful 

20 minutes ago, jake13 said:

I don't agree with their subscription model either.

No; that part is crap. Maybe £10 a year once you've already paid for the app, but the same price yearly is bit of a piss-take. I've voiced that on my feedback to them

Having used INPA etc for years, I just bought Carly last week. I got sick of having to use my laptop, and also I find INPA NCS Expert and DIS really un-user friendly. Carly, although obviously not as powerful, will do for 90% of circumstances and is much more user friendly. I don't think £55 a year is a rip off personally, it's less than a fiver a month.

8 hours ago, jake13 said:

It tends to kill off a lot of small businesses, I wonder where they will be in 2-3 years.

B-tool doesn't do coding but it does a hell of a lot of live data along with the all important DPF regens. 

6 hours ago, edd_jedi said:

Carly, although obviously not as powerful, will do for 90% of circumstances and is much more user friendly. I don't think £55 a year is a rip off personally, it's less than a fiver a month.

When you put it like that, it's peanuts. I was seething when I had to pay £15-£25 on top on the full app purchase price for battery registration etc. But fair play to them, having the full app and all options and not having to pay for it is B) 

C110 though, ain't a bad investment for any BMW owner, it ain't bad for the money, it'll tell you DTCs and will turn the money light off, reset service items iirc. It's just slow. 

Edited by Deviant

10 hours ago, jake13 said:

Me neither, but I bought it before they went down that route. I tried the balancing-the-laptop-on your knee-while-trying-to clear-errors game and it was a pain in the arse. For sheer convenience Carly takes some beating. 

On 22/02/2019 at 20:41, GoNz0 said:

It tends to kill off a lot of small businesses, I wonder where they will be in 2-3 years.

B-tool doesn't do coding but it does a hell of a lot of live data along with the all important DPF regens. 

Anything you recommend for the iPhone? My neighbour is computer illiterate and doesn't need coding so Carly is a no-no.  Incidentally, I'm fitting an aftermarket headunit in the Mrs Merc which comes with Torque Pro.

@Vee, have you decided what you are going to go for?

Apologies for the highjack, but I found this thread quite useful in doing research into similar plus I contacted a few helpful people too. Thanks all.

The C110 won't work for me on the newer F10 I don't believe, but I did come across the Foxwell NT520. Wondering if you or others have considered that one?

Using an illegal version of software doesn't sit well with me nor do I have the time needed to get it to download or work properly so Carly or a dedicated scan tool is my preference.

Thoughts guys?