PJAY

Owners handbook and other stuff

Is the owners handbook for an '08 520d SE Touring model specific, or does one handbook cover a few models ?

I need one,  but not sure what to look for.  I've checked the usual auction places and whatnot, but would rather check first with those in the know

Edited by PJAY

Thanks ..Tried there a few days ago DH.  I posted in the thread,  but no reply.

As far as i can see, the only 5 series listed  are 528i , 535i, 550i,  528xi, 535xi. 

i've used this for my 07 520D. Most manuals are general, with comments specific to a model if the functionality is different to others.

https://www.manualagent.com/bmw/520d/users-manual/page-1

This one documents the LCI changes:

https://5series.net/info/2008_LCI_Detailed_Changes.pdf

Edited by dj1233

24 minutes ago, PJAY said:

...I posted in the thread,  but no reply.

Ah sorry, I hadn't noticed that :oops:.

yeah, i've used it for mine which is an LCI and there's very little difference really.

is it something specific you are trying to find out?

Edited by dj1233

No worries DH - just reading dj's link right now

Edited by PJAY

9 minutes ago, dj1233 said:

yeah, i've used it for mine which is an LCI and there's very little difference really.

is it something specific you are trying to find out?

Yeah sort of,  but mostly dumb stuff,  i'm sad to mention. Cant find rear wiper switch,  cant  turn off sat nav when not needed, cant find  locking wheel nut tool,  ...just silly stuff i guess. Some of the buttons just have unfathomable letters on. There;s no point just pressing buttons just to see what they do in case i change something without knowing. 

AS an SE  model, i expected to see electric retractable mirrors,  and i'm sure i read that an SE would have them, but i dont see a switch for such, and so on

Manual would be useful

Edited by PJAY

- rear wiper is on the wiper stalk - push to engage on intermittent, hold to activate spray.

- no idea on sat nav, maps maybe on all the time?

-locking wheel nut tool should be under boot floor in polystyrene tray (note under the floor is storage, then under that is the boot floor)

Any in particular? The 2 on the steering wheel (R/H side) diamond and star are favourite buttons. You can do what you set these up to most functions. 

Most other settings are in the iDrive - be on the home screen, and push down to enter the car settings. 

Edited by dj1233

Tried the wiper stalk  in all positions, and still doesnt activate the rear , sat nav could be on all the time.  Funny,  dealer gave me 2 discs. I'm assuming the CD has to be in the sat nav for the sat nav to work ? there was also another disc called BMW business 2017. No idea

I'l have a rummage for that locking tool. I've also used the Nav ok, coming back home from north of Derby, but always seems to be on.  To not have it on, i have to turn  I-drive to Info or something else

Edited by PJAY

Oh yes, the digital clock reads   - - - -  so no time in the car.  Also,  as i filled up before i left derby, the remaining mileage counter said 250.  After the 125 mile journey, it was reading 239.  :)

8 minutes ago, PJAY said:

Tried the wiper stalk  in all positions, and still doesnt activate the rear , sat nav could be on all the time.  Funny,  dealer gave me 2 discs. I'm assuming the CD has to be in the sat nav for the sat nav to work ? there was also another disc called BMW business 2017. No idea

I'l have a rummage for that locking tool. I've also used the Nav ok, coming back home from north of Derby, but always seems to be on.  To not have it on, i have to turn  I-drive to Info or something else

Of what i recall, the disc needs to be in for the satnav to work - but can't say for certain. 

3 minutes ago, PJAY said:

Oh yes, the digital clock reads   - - - -  so no time in the car.  Also,  as i filled up before i left derby, the remaining mileage counter said 250.  After the 125 mile journey, it was reading 239.  :)

set the time in iDrive, and it should then show on the iDrive screen and in the dash.

Distance to empty is calculated on the last 25 miles of driving, so this will change according to how light on the pedal you've been. 

Can i just ask .. all the manuals i'm looking at for sale, are left hand drive. Did BMW not print any manuals in right hand drive for us pesky brits ?

1 minute ago, PJAY said:

Can i just ask .. all the manuals i'm looking at for sale, are left hand drive. Did BMW not print any manuals in right hand drive for us pesky brits ?

No idea, but shouldn't make any real difference to the lay out of anything except where the steering wheel, pedals and brake reservoir. 

Got the handbook and a few things have revealed themselves. Some things are not obvious when the switches just have a picture, but the handbook  was very useful.

Right now,  there is no rear wiper activitaion. It's not on the front wiper / washer stalk. According to the handbook and folk here, the wiper stalk should be pushed to towards the bonnet. Mine doesnt do this. It's already as far as it can go. It only pulls towards the driver ( and springs back ) or up and down.

The washer bottle warning light came on,  so i checked the book, and the touring takes 5 litres.  I got less than half a litre of washer fluid in the bottle. How come ?

I'm assuming there's not a separate washer bottle for the rear wiper ?

Couldnt find the locking wheel nut tool, so i guess thats missing

Edited by PJAY

1 hour ago, PJAY said:

the wiper stalk should be pushed to towards the bonnet.

Correct, it should move forward and stay for intermitent rear wiper activation. Pull the stalk to spray front windscreen and activate headlight washer jets (quick short pull to avoid headlight washer cycle), springs back to centre.

1 hour ago, PJAY said:

I'm assuming there's not a separate washer bottle for the rear wiper ?

Correct, one bottle in offside front of wheel liner/bumper area (UK orientation). The bottle may be split from frost damage or it is common to find the pump/filter blocked (from mold of old jellyfied screen wash).

1 hour ago, PJAY said:

Couldnt find the locking wheel nut tool, so i guess thats missing 

Annoying :angry:. Check the ash tray, door pockets, boot pannels above battery (otherside has a little tool bag).

Edited by DarkHorse

Thanks DH

To re-state, the wiper stalk does not move forward towards bonnet. I tried, honest.  I pushed as hard as i dared, but stopped before i snapped the stalk. It only springs towards the driver and back. It will not go the other way.

My bottle is in the middle just behind the removable long plastic panel.  The front washer / wipers work fine.  Just odd that i got a low washer bottle level warning, and it only topped up with less than half a litre. Very odd.  I expected to get a few litres in at least

I've been through all the pockets and trays and the boot, under the first and second tray too.  There's only the breakdown warning triangle in there.

Perhaps i could just buy one.

I should add that the section for wipers in the handbook has pictures that dont match mine.

Edited by PJAY

Just adding some pics, because most of my googling didnt come up with photos that matched mine, or eben any answers.  Even my handbook shows a different wiper stalk, but i found these photos on Ebay.  These are identical, and dont show any rear wiper  icons at all.

wiper.jpg

wiper 2.jpg

Ok, a visit to BMW to get the battery cable cover changed, and they did a health check and washed the car.  Nice.

Wiper stalk broken, hence no rear wiper.   Small oil leak from somewhere, but they didnt say. Might just be old drips from a  top up ...

Found out the the spacer save tyre / wheel should be  and  135/80/17  , when i find one.

Washer bottle low warning light - they said sytem could be blocked, but my front washer system works fine, so dont know what to  make of that.

BMW owning friend gave me a lock nut tool,  ( i never did find mine ) because he dumped all his locking nuts for regular bolts

Trawling ebay now for a wiper stalk for an 08 E61 520d.  Also, ordered a fuse map, but it's gotta come from germany !

Edited by PJAY