n80nag

540 starter motor

Good evening all, I’m contemplating replacing my own starter motor on my ‘99 540i.

Just wondering if anyone has done this and any advice would be welcome.

Autodata gives a time of approx. 2 hours, I’ve been told but I believe they state that the inlet manifold has to be removed, not sure that sounds right to me.

To be honest, I’m struggling to even see the starter from under the bonnet lol

I changed the starter on an E39 535 which I'm assuming will be the same as a 540.

It was a while ago, but as far as I can remember, I had to do it from underneath and I think I had to dismantle part of the suspension to get it out. Not a job I would look forward to doing again.  

I’ve changed one on a 540 from underneath, I don’t remember it being terribly difficult, just patience needed. 

Cant remember what needed to be removed but I’m fairly sure it wasn’t anything significant. 

6 hours ago, LukeH said:

I’ve changed one on a 540 from underneath, I don’t remember it being terribly difficult, just patience needed. 

Cant remember what needed to be removed but I’m fairly sure it wasn’t anything significant. 

You're correct,  it wasn't that difficult, it was just a PITA doing it lying on your back, the worst part was actually getting it out.

IIRC I had to drop the ARB.

Edited by Paddy O'Furniture

You definitely won't have to remove the inlet manifold on a v8 to replace the starter, as said above, it's done from underneath and isn't a hard job but space is very, very limited.