Jump to content
AlexGSi2000

Buying an e39 M5.

Recommended Posts

That’s interesting, I went to see the same car last week and had the same thoughts.

 

The sills were showing rust spots all along, the tailgate lock area had been rust repaired but the number plate lights ignored. Bad rust repair of the drivers side rear arch, dull paint. 

 

Even though it was a state I really liked it but it would be a money pit and without speaking to the previous owner there was no way of knowing what work had been carried out, the folder of invoices was sketchy.

 

£6k sounds about right as a trade sale gamble but the costs to bring it up to standard would mean buying a cleaner, lower mileage car would be more cost effective. It was a no from me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AlexGSi2000 said:

Again - thanks for everyone's input on this.

It's very useful to hear of peoples experiences with this great car.

 

I went to go and view one yesterday afternoon, priced at the lower end of the market. I had pretty much judged the car before I had even seen it - but it was fairly close, so worth a shot.

 

The car in question is this; https://www.motor-class.co.uk/used-bmw-m5-bolton-lancashire-1929794

 

When I arrived, the showroom was full of newer, much cleaner cars - no M5 in sight. The car was being stored "round the back" in outside the garage in a fairly run-down looking state, I was told it was awaiting preparation, yet the photos on the site look like it was already prepared.

It was odd - the add states that a few areas of the body work had been addressed, however the tin worm had started working away in all the usual places, nothing catastrophic but it was there, as expected really for a 20 year old daily driven M5.

In a nutshell, the interior had been lightly played with (silly bling parts - chrome lock pins.etc) and an Alpine double-din unit. Aside from the areas of rust, the front bumper wasn't sitting right, inner front arch liners were in pieces, window rubbers were peeling - it needed some TLC.

It did come with a folder full of invoices for work, no test drive as it didn't really meet my expectations when it came to general condition.

 

The only way this would be feasible for me is if I offered them a trade sale, take the car away as is and do all the work myself over time, for that - the figure in my head would be £6k tops.

I wonder if they would take the money and run, the car would certainly stick out like a sore thumb amongst all those newer cars in the showroom!

 

I'm not in a rush to buy, so need to go and see a few that are higher priced for comparison.

 

 

IIRC that's been up for ages; sure I saw it mid last year, as the advert you posted!

 

Have you spoken to the guy in Preston re their M5 for sale, the one I linked to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/02/2019 at 15:35, d_a_n1979 said:

 

IIRC that's been up for ages; sure I saw it mid last year, as the advert you posted!

 

Have you spoken to the guy in Preston re their M5 for sale, the one I linked to?

 

Hmm, interesting. Quite a long time for a car to be up for sale - probably for the reasons I mentioned!

I guess they are not willing to accept offers for what its actually worth.

 

Yes, briefly spoken (via ebay) to the chap in Preston - I'm heading up to the Lakes over the weekend, so going to call in on the way back on Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/02/2019 at 19:49, Steve van hool said:

^^^^ What makes you so sure that they will be worth 25k in ten years time, vehicle appreciation is not an exact science.

Nice one for sale at Old Colonel Cars ( £30k) https://oldcolonelcars.co.uk/listing/bmw-e39-5-series-m5/. Nick Johnson has a few also around mid 20ks

like good E46M3s - very very few real quality examples for sale. People are holding onto good ones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, JOhnKE39530d said:

that said , at this money they are competing with newer machinery like F10 M5s.....

 

Yes, and part of the appeal of the e39 m5 was/is that it was the last of the manual m5's, and therefore a true driver's car, even though more modern machinery will wipe the floor with it performance wise. It's still a very quick car.

Edited by Steve van hool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 18:21, DatV8 said:

Had mine for over 4 years now, still puts a smile on my face.  Nice to have it as a weekend car now to keep of the winter roads and do some leisurely work to.  Recently did water pump (bearing failure + leak) and the vanos solenoids w/ rocker cover gaskets.  They're satisfying jobs when you can take your time.

 

I got those wings you sold me on and painted! Was a while ago now, I'm Jon and was in the carbon black M5 and met you at your workshop a couple of years ago :) My old crusty ones went in the bin and I epoxy sealed behind these ones, looks much better now.

 

 

 

 

Only just read your message fully Jon! - I remember very well, we knew you had turned up when we heard the rumble!

There may be a few questions coming your way. How are the new sills holding up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm travelling south to view another one tomorrow morning - if its as described then I may well be driving home in it.

 

I have a list of key things to look and check for when viewing, can anyone add to this?

  • HPI Check
  • Cold start - Vanos rattle / timing chain rattle
  • Ticking when running (could be big end bearings)
  • Corrosion along the sills & jacking points
  • Power delivery / cycle through gears.etc
  • Check floor carpets for moisture
  • Paperwork

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlexGSi2000 said:

I'm travelling south to view another one tomorrow morning - if its as described then I may well be driving home in it.

 

I have a list of key things to look and check for when viewing, can anyone add to this?

  • HPI Check
  • Cold start - Vanos rattle / timing chain rattle
  • Ticking when running (could be big end bearings)
  • Corrosion along the sills & jacking points
  • Power delivery / cycle through gears.etc
  • Check floor carpets for moisture
  • Paperwork

 

  • Check that the headlights work and there aren't any broken adjusters etc. Same with rear lights, make sure they all work including the reverse lights ;) 
  • Have a good drive and when safe to do so, anchor on, sensibly. If it brakes straight and true, you're fine ;) 
  • Check for the 50/60mph shimmy
  • Check under and down the sides of the front seats; there could be loose change lying about, keep schtum and you're quids in :lol: :mrgreen: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

- Corrosion around rear numberplate (on bootlid) and between rear valance and bumper 

- Corrosion in fuel filler recess

- Corrosion around wheel arches 

- Listen to drivetrain for any grumbles or ‘jangling key’ sounds (prop bearing)

- Backlash on/off throttle (prop donut)

- CHECK ALL the electrics work 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, AlexGSi2000 said:

Only just read your message fully Jon! - I remember very well, we knew you had turned up when we heard the rumble!

There may be a few questions coming your way. How are the new sills holding up?

 

Thanks Alex! Yes they're doing very well, all sealed up and painted.  No sign of anything untoward rust-wise so all good!  Wheel refurb next on the list I think.  Absolutely, any questions fire away I'll try answer as best I can :)  Good luck in your search for an M5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again for everyone's valuable advice.

I bought one yesterday and travelled back up from London with no issues.

I got the car for a reasonable price I think - it needs a little work here and there, but what 18 year old car doesn't.
It will be a longer term project anyway.

I'm glad I took the plunge, as I don't think I would have done if I left another few years.

In love with the V8 already.

Will post up some photos later on.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, AlexGSi2000 said:

Thanks again for everyone's valuable advice.

I bought one yesterday and travelled back up from London with no issues.

I got the car for a reasonable price I think - it needs a little work here and there, but what 18 year old car doesn't.
It will be a longer term project anyway.

I'm glad I took the plunge, as I don't think I would have done if I left another few years.

In love with the V8 already.

Will post up some photos later on.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
 

 

 

Woohoo :mrgreen:

 

Pictures or it didn't happen :lol:;) :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/03/2019 at 18:15, d_a_n1979 said:

 

  • Check that the headlights work and there aren't any broken adjusters etc. Same with rear lights, make sure they all work including the reverse lights ;) 
  • Have a good drive and when safe to do so, anchor on, sensibly. If it brakes straight and true, you're fine ;) 
  • Check for the 50/60mph shimmy
  • Check under and down the sides of the front seats; there could be loose change lying about, keep schtum and you're quids in :lol: :mrgreen: 

 

Once found £11 odd in change under the seats of our newly purchased Mercedes :D Sadly didn't  improve the fuel reading much :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As requested, a couple of quick phone photos, the thing needs a good clean up, so have set aside next Saturday.

The more I see it, the more I love it - don't the fact I now own one of my dream cars has sunk in yet.

 

Its also cheaper to insure than my e60 525d - madness.

 

IMG_20190310_1232023.jpg

IMG_20190310_1232302.jpg

IMG_20190310_1232572.jpg

Edited by AlexGSi2000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@AlexGSi2000

 

congrats on the new toy! stunning colour and looks great from the pics! sure it will need money/time spent on it but when you get in and drive it - it all seems so much more worthwhile! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

looks lovely, It's one of those rare cars that the longer you keep the prouder you get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking the opportunity to post to the right audience, does anyone have a 39 m5 for sale currently? I've seen many on the web that seem to either be very high mileage, have been for sale for months/years. Looking for a >2001 car and not too fussy re colours etc just keen to buy from an enthusiast rather than a dealer. Happy to pay good money for a good well looked after car with good history / bills etc. 

 

thanks

piers

*number deleted off public forum*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/04/2019 at 11:56, foxworth said:

Taking the opportunity to post to the right audience, does anyone have a 39 m5 for sale currently? I've seen many on the web that seem to either be very high mileage, have been for sale for months/years. Looking for a >2001 car and not too fussy re colours etc just keen to buy from an enthusiast rather than a dealer. Happy to pay good money for a good well looked after car with good history / bills etc. 

 

thanks

piers

***

 

Hi Piers

 

Probably best to put this in the wanted section pal; this is on someone else's thread and it'll just get lost

 

Set up your own wanted ad and it'll get better viewing 

 

I've also deleted your number from open access; I'd advise you keep this for PM's only etc :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you have an ultra low miler sub 40k, and don’t intend to drive it, I’m unconvinced they’ll give a huge ROI in the future.

in the 50k-100k mileage range they seem to start from ~£12k. 

Individuals and/or facelift cars seem to automatically be £17k+

Advertised prices are creeping up, but v.slowly. I suspect sale prices have not changed significantly except for the ultra low milers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Wakey,

 

One of the relative 'handful' of very low miled examples you have tucked away :)

 

It's the same mileage as another one I know of tucked away in a heated garage as well! that one being a facelift and Silver. 

 

Are you looking to sell yours 'soon' or is this a quick example pic of part of your collection ?!

 

Cheers, Dennis!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×