Y15HAL

Buy Outright or PCP?

23 hours ago, Lennox said:

Actually they want you on finance to get the commission kick back..... So actually cash isn't king.

I bought on finance with a nice contribution from the dealer (contingent on taking finance) made 2 payments and settled it. Win win!

12 hours ago, apples12 said:

I bought on finance with a nice contribution from the dealer (contingent on taking finance) made 2 payments and settled it. Win win!

Yeah that's worth doing I'll need to look at that next time. 

I'm currently on a PCP deal for with about 20 months to go before I have to pay the balloon payment or hand it back.Having had BMW's continuously for nearly 20 years I fancy a change.I quite fancy a Jag XF 3.0D as they have everything a BMW has and more.I've never test driven one so that opinion might change.

My question is can I take my current PCP car to Jaguar towards the end of my contract and part exchange it for a AUC Jag and more crucially can I still use the equity towards it?

I'm currently on a PCP deal for with about 20 months to go before I have to pay the balloon payment or hand it back.Having had BMW's continuously for nearly 20 years I fancy a change.I quite fancy a Jag XF 3.0D as they have everything a BMW has and more.I've never test driven one so that opinion might change.
My question is can I take my current PCP car to Jaguar towards the end of my contract and part exchange it for a AUC Jag and more crucially can I still use the equity towards it?
New XF, no. Old one was OK, my old man's XFr is awesome but only due to the engine.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/used-test-bmw-5-series-vs-jaguar-xf/n18951
This review highlights that German engineered BMW is still ahead of the Indian car.

Re the pcp, you can take it anywhere as its just a finance final payment, however I know if you are rolling from one bmw to the next they will massage the final payment to keep you business.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Lennox said:

Re the pcp, you can take it anywhere as its just a finance final payment, however I know if you are rolling from one bmw to the next they will massage the final payment to keep you business.

Thanks Lennox.

I've always tended to spend circa 15K for a high spec BMW but unfortunately they seem to be high milers for that amount of money and on average I've kept them for 3-4 years and ditched once the problems start.Due to the high mileage once the time comes for the warranty to be renewed after 12 months they ask for silly money (as it's my understanding that once you've gone over 50K miles the premiums are ridiculous) so I've always took the chance and give it a miss.
As I only do around 6-8K miles a year my line of thinking is to spend 12 to 15K on a Jag that should get me a very low mileage car with a lot of spec and the warranty renewals "should" come in at a reasonable price for a good few years.I want my next car to be a keeper for a long time with as little hassle and cost as possible.Another PCP definitely isn't an option.This has been my first and the last and to be honest it needles me every day knowing that this car will never belong to me.

I obviously need to do my research on the XF but I am open to other marques as long as they fit the above criteria. 

I obviously need to do my research on the XF but I am open to other marques as long as they fit the above criteria. 

Please do, I was at the original Scottish launch at Glen Eagles and wasn't very impressed. The interior quality especially. I have also spoken to various modern Jag owners, all agree very stylish and beautifuly handling cars but build quality and technology severally lacking.

1. Cousin has an XE, replaced a 320d. Fit and finish no where as good as the bmw. Hates the infotainment system.

2. Neighbour father in law XF, this 2nd but says the Ford era XF was better built. Concidering going backwards and buying an XFR like my old mans

3. Neighbour we had at centre parcs of all places... A new F Pace (lowest powered diesel and no spec). He likened it to a dumb blonde. All looks no depth. He came across to see my wife's past 535d touring, saying this is what he should have bought.

However my neighbour across the road has a new EPace. Loves it but it did replace a Seat Leon Fr.

Friends have just rejected their JLR after a sixth major engine breakdown in five months. Not a Jag but a Disco. 

I'd say there's more than one reason than a future diesel tax why they're struggling with sales. Without or even with a warranty by wary. 

Food for thought.What a shame...I was really warming to the XF. I've got nearly 2 years to make my mind up yet but I'm fairly certain my next car wont be a BMW.I just think the newer ones have lost their sparkle.The older (better) ones will undoubtedly require trips to a garage more often than not as I'm not really hands on with mechanics. 

I just want a decent car that I can get at least 5-6 years use out of with the only outlay being tyres and servicing.

Friends have just rejected their JLR after a sixth major engine breakdown in five months. Not a Jag but a Disco. 
I'd say there's more than one reason than a future diesel tax why they're struggling with sales. Without or even with a warranty by wary. 
Yeah we looked at the Fugly new disco but decided on the new XC90. Not one issue in the past 16 months, love it.

Food for thought.What a shame...I was really warming to the XF. I've got nearly 2 years to make my mind up yet but I'm fairly certain my next car wont be a BMW.I just think the newer ones have lost their sparkle.The older (better) ones will undoubtedly require trips to a garage more often than not as I'm not really hands on with mechanics. 
I just want a decent car that I can get at least 5-6 years use out of with the only outlay being tyres and servicing.
Interestingly, the chap here says Jaguar admitted they invested in the XEs driveablility to the detriment on the interior. I think this is exactly what happened to the XF, so here's hoping it get the required upgrade soon...

Bit of a curve ball, have you looked at something like the Infiniti Q50? I know, re-badged Nissan like the Lexus is a re-badged Toyota, the car magazines slated it, but owner reviews are strong and I was in their Glasgow showroom earlier this week, to my mind they are a lot of car for the money!

It entirely depends on your circumstances. As you've already realised, owning a newish car has cost you about 5 grand a year in depreciation. Whether this is a waste of money or not depends on how much you drive, how much you depend on your car, and of course your financial situation.

I drive a 14 year old car because as much as I'd love and appreciate a newer car, I don't do the mileage to justify it. I walk to work so only use my car at weekends, and then it's on family trips, I'm rarely in the car on my own. Also as I don't rely on it for work, it's not the end of the world of it breaks down (in fact honestly I quite enjoy tinkering with it) so I can't justify paying a premium for reliability either.

If I drove to work and/or had enough spare time to enjoy a car during weekends, I would absolutely consider spending 5k a year for my own enjoyment. But for me, I wouldn't be able to justify it.

Nobody seems to have asked this yet, bur why exactly do you want to get rid of your current car? It looks like it's still a very modern and decent motor!

Buying a 4 year old car like a 5 series, E Class etc. for £12-14k with 60-70k miles on it and running it for 2 years and 30-40k miles is about as cheap motoring wise as you can get imho. 

You are at the age where noting is really going wrong, and depreciation is minimal. 

I ran my last 535d for two years and 36k miles and lost £4k over the period, my 2012 E350 Merc estate (petrol 3.5 306hp so quite rare which helped) was bought for £13k at 4 years old with 70k on it and sold at 6.5 years old   last year with 118k miles on it for £12k. 

If you are buying for £22k and prepared to lose £9k then keep an eye on the contract hire and pcp deals. 

In July las year BMW were advertising the G31 520d sport touring for £409 down and then 48 months at £409 with an option to purchase at £12k. That was with a dealer contribution of £5k and finance contribution of £12k!! 

That is basically them hiding £17000 worth of discount in finance figures. 

That was the advert, if you spoke to them they could also do the 530d sport touring for £429, even better value. 

To be honest I sort of wish I had gone for that deal. However, I bought an LCI 520d Touring with prof nav etc. which is £220 a month and mine after 48 months and is a price that if anything happens I know I can pay it off in full, not something I could have done with the G31. 

There is no correct answer really, at the end of the day I always say "Do whatever is the cheapest way to be in the car you want to be in." That may be cash, it may be finance, but sometimes new with the right deal on the table is the sensible option. I'm lucky as my father in law has a garage so can run an older car with no real worries, I still have an E61 lci 530d Touring as well, but I wouldn't want to run a 12 year old car without having that option, but then I am a bit OCD so need to get all mechanical things done, I can't anything not feeling new. 

My tactic was to find a very low mileage year old car on AUC, but get competitive finance sorted elsewhere and then ask the dealer to match. Result was an AUC car on PCP around 6% Apr and a very strong residual meaning low monthly payments. Bide your time. 

Ill have the Red one with the Wild Horses under the bonnet please!

As long as someone else is paying/losing all the coinage....