GlenM

E61 boot light.

The internal boot lights on my E61 do not work. I have checked the wiring by the hinges, I cant see any damage at all and all other lights/rear wiper etc. are fine. In order to test the wiring, does anyone know where the boot light switch is located?

The soft close does still work. I have just found used boot latches listed on e-bay and they have a connector with 3 contacts, so maybe 2 are for the soft close and 1 triggers the boot lights.

I tested the wiring today and there is a + feed from the BCM, so the boot lock/switch does look like the culprit.

Edited by GlenM

Fitted a used boot lock but this still doesn't seem to work. Going to take the original apart, as it looks like the earth is picked up from the lock casing, yet the lock is screw mounted into plastic plugs.

The earth for the boot light is actually shared with the blue wire in the connector plug, so need to look at whether there is an earth at this point on the other side of the connector. 

Did you change the the whole lock with the spring loaded actuator thing on it? 

Mine was having issues with the load area lights playing up. I changed the actuator thingy (technical term) and all was well. 

On 01/03/2019 at 18:26, Syemondo said:

Did you change the the whole lock with the spring loaded actuator thing on it? 

Mine was having issues with the load area lights playing up. I changed the actuator thingy (technical term) and all was well. 

Sorry, only just noticed your post.

I replaced the whole assembly located in the boot floor. It was a s/h unit, so it is possible it could be faulty too. I need to test the wiring but the weather hasn't been conducive and the boot is full of crap at the moment.  

The part I'm talking about is in the tailgate. There is a sprung solenoid unit attached to the lock. I opened it up and the spring flew out like a jack in the box. There is a sliding switch with 2 or 3 contacts. These are the ones that operate the load area lights. They are not a direct switch as such, more contacts which send signals to the ecu. It's the timing of when these are triggered which controls the lights. 

Let me check on realoem..