Long story short: I am unable to update to 2019-1 maps. Ive already used the same maps files to update a work colleagues car and we've narrowed it down to my istep version being so damn old. I'm on 'b' (Nbt_b13322a) which is holding me up. I've looked for a guide and can find some partial information on hiw to do this from other models of car but I am wondering a few things:

1) despite reading that a dealer wouldn't do this, would it be worthwile going to them for the update? I assume if I payed for map updates, couldn't install them then went to the dealer with this issue they would be able to sort it (hopefully for free but probably not)

2)Failing that, I can do it myself but fancy letting esys do it for me. I understand this can take some time and I need a donor car to act as a power supply (as I have no access to a high amp charger, just a trickle). Do I mount the jump cables from the battery of the other car to the chassis mounting points under the hood and just leave the other car running?

3) I guess to avoid updating the whole car I can update individual modules but does anyone know which ones that would be?

Any and all help/comments appreciated. 

Take it to BMW and pay them

to update the iStep version.

I’ve been using Esys for many years and the programming is one thing I wouldn’t take on myself.

Or find someone who has done it and has the experience.

To do it yourself You will also need a newer working version of Esys Launcher and with the premium version expiring at the end of 2018 your only legit option is to try get hold of the Pro version along with tokenmaster’s license. 

If you go for it yourself the jump leads would need to connected to the underbonnet connectors with the other car’s engine running for the duration. 

An Update to this: 2019-2 (WEST, as BMW have split Europe for NEXT users now) was installed today without issue and I'm still on "B" firmware. If anyone has the same issue use the 'updated' version of the maps which has the pkg file name NBT_ECE_401183.3.115 (not 111) as others have reported problems with the other version that is available. 

Edit: PM me for more information

Edited by Alexio45

Where did you find the 2019-2 map files? I've got the 2019-1 version on my car.

Hi Alexio45,

Can I ask what your original problem was with the 2019 maps? Tried updating mine on an NBT HU from 2012 and it resulted in constant rebooting of the idrive. Downgraded to the 2017 maps and the problem was solved. Just wondering if this was your issue and if the new "115" maps resolved it without upgrading istep?

Thanks for posting the info. I've had a few weeks of pain with this.

Wo0zy.

2019-1 wouldn't begin to install. The car would recognise the new map files on the usb, ask if I wanted to update but it wouldn't show a progress bar at all and would try again every ignition. I managed to get 2018-1 to install fine and now 2019-2 WEST works too. My istep was "B" so no need for a firmware upgrade although I have just managed to do it myself to "O" and the improvements are noticeable.

I'd try 2019-2 WEST if your area has had alot of changes since 2017.

4 minutes ago, Alexio45 said:

2019-1 wouldn't begin to install. The car would recognise the new map files on the usb, ask if I wanted to update but it wouldn't show a progress bar at all and would try again every ignition. I managed to get 2018-1 to install fine and now 2019-2 WEST works too. My istep was "B" so no need for a firmware upgrade although I have just managed to do it myself to "O" and the improvements are noticeable.

How did you upgrade the car's ISTEP level?

1 hour ago, Alexio45 said:

Thanks Alexio45,

Sounds like I had a different issue. Will do some further investigation. 

Cheers,

Wo0zy.

2 hours ago, Alexio45 said:

Esys. Hardest part was finding a decent power supply but in the end I rented one from my local garage. Whole process was simple enough and took me from late 13 software to now. 

What other improvements did you notice?

2 hours ago, Alexio45 said:

Esys. Hardest part was finding a decent power supply but in the end I rented one from my local garage. Whole process was simple enough and took me from late 13 software to now. 

Sorry for the questions but did you  update the vehicle iStep or just focus on the iDrive firmware?

2 hours ago, Wo0zy said:

Thanks Alexio45,

Sounds like I had a different issue. Will do some further investigation. 

Cheers,

Wo0zy.

Your symptoms are similar to others whose iDrives were rebooting. I’d suggest a firmware upgrade should be your first port of call. 

Are NBT owners still experiencing issues with newer maps slowing down their system and reboots, or, are we confident that has been resolved. I have not update to the latest for this reason, but, if those issues have gone away then I will get it done.

1 hour ago, nashdm2 said:

Are NBT owners still experiencing issues with newer maps slowing down their system and reboots, or, are we confident that has been resolved. I have not update to the latest for this reason, but, if those issues have gone away then I will get it done.

Dave, unless the iDrive firmware is updated or known compatible then there is still a risk. The beauty is that you can go back to the previous map version so long as you still have the files. This has remedied the issue as others have stated on the forums.

6 hours ago, AndyM said:

What other improvements did you notice?

When I bought my car in Jan this year it had already had the egr replaced. There was some lag in accelerating in eco pro (expected) but also in comfort (not as expected). Post upgrade comfort is much more responsive (measurably so) to the point where if feels like sport used to. Sport is now the bees knees. 

Route options have appeared when setting destinations and the navigation software (not the maps themselves) is now much smoother, more refined and loads faster. Gearbox in drive and sport generally feels smoother, but especially so in sport when not thrashing it. 

6 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Sorry for the questions but did you  update the vehicle iStep or just focus on the iDrive firmware?

iStep was updated too. 2019.07.520 from 2013.11.504. I flashed everything from airbag module to ZGM with only one problem (FRM lighting module) which I had to reset using winkfp but all updated now. 

3 hours ago, Alexio45 said:

When I bought my car in Jan this year it had already had the egr replaced. There was some lag in accelerating in eco pro (expected) but also in comfort (not as expected). Post upgrade comfort is much more responsive (measurably so) to the point where if feels like sport used to. Sport is now the bees knees. 

Route options have appeared when setting destinations and the navigation software (not the maps themselves) is now much smoother, more refined and loads faster. Gearbox in drive and sport generally feels smoother, but especially so in sport when not thrashing it. 

iStep was updated too. 2019.07.520 from 2013.11.504. I flashed everything from airbag module to ZGM with only one problem (FRM lighting module) which I had to reset using winkfp but all updated now. 

Interesting, thanks.