Someone

What do you all get on full tank?

I can’t believe that some of you are getting such poor fuel economy for (basically) a modern engine. 

I’m rocking a E91 320d M sport with 215k miles on the clock and I get around town 400-450miles and on a motorway run over 700 miles! I also drive it like I stole it ;) 

I don’t do anything to the car either! Stick oil in it when needed and fuel and that’s kind of it! It does need a service but I’m sure it’ll be ok....

:lol:

Usually 500-550 miles mixed driving with comfort and sport mode use. And around 600 ish motorway in comfort mode. I have read of people getting 700 miles with the n47 and autobox, but although I can easily show that as a potential range. Getting near it seems a bit of a falacy :rolleyes: unless you live somewhere flat with a lot of tailwinds :lol: neither of which we have in Scotland 

That does sound a bit low but I then rarely did a whole tank in town in my 520d and with a mix of motorway/country roads/town I generally got well over 500 miles. Often over 600. My 530d returned not dissimilar numbers - I would aim for low to mid 500s but often got high 400s with pretty spirited driving. I once got over 700 but the journeys that contributed to that figure were memorable only for their abject dullness. 

My 535d on the same mix of roads is currently getting high 400s/low 500s. I almost never bother with eco-pro as it only serves to regulate my driving style to something wholly unnatural to me and if anything, in my experience it’s only ever returned worse economy than comfort. Hills are basically what fudge your carefully crafted numbers. 

Edited by jannism

Mine is currently sat on ~25mpg average so on a 70l tank that's about 400 miles per tank. Mostly short journeys and has spent a fair bit of this tankful idling to thaw it out in the mornings 

Last tank it did 625 miles before refilling - still had about 100 miles according to the OBC in a 520d F11 auto. That was about 70% motorway driving.

in my 530D F10 In winter about 800 Miles per tank +- 20 miles (thats a journey average of 52-54 mpg) in summer I can just get to 900 miles (56-62mpg). I drive very carefully though on motorway miles my breaks seem to last forever too because i hardly use them.

43 minutes ago, Caesar said:

I think I'll get an additional tank fitted and then get back to you. 

Or a lighter right foot? ;)

You can wring over 40 mpg out of the N55 if you want too.

You would be very bored and very late but.....

I get about 430-460 out of a full tank on my 530d. I don't drive with ecopro, I'm not really light footed and my journeys are mainly commuting under 10 miles each way.

400 whilst pottering around the town.

550 on the motorways sat in lane 1 on outbound journeys, and very spirited driving on inbound journeys! (I’m not a morning person)

F11 535d

Wow fair play to some of the ranges being quoted here !

How is everyone working this out? I can't imagine getting 800 miles between fill ups. Is that till the range says zero or till the light comes on?

I never let the range hit zero although have for experimental purposes gone down to 15 miles and rarely let the fuel light come on. Normally i fill up at 1/4 of a tank unless it looks like i am on for a really good tank (and i am near my destination when it reaches one of those really low figures) I use fuelly to track actual MPG so If i have had a big 4 hour each way motorway trip then I am mindful to run it lower to see if I can set a new record

10 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

Wow fair play to some of the ranges being quoted here !

How is everyone working this out? 

Vol of tank is 70 litres, convert to gallons, x av mpg displayed on dash. 

Not that accurate but near near enough for this. 

Thats all I did as I don't think in terms of miles to the tank but I usually know what my current tank average is.

Over 9662 miles my average is 43.2mpg in a 65 plate 520D F11. The best and worst figures between fills have been 59mpg and 34mpg. I'm semi-retired, and do such a low mileage that I can't logically justify having a diesel never mind a 5 Series BMW, but I don't give a stuff because it is such a pleasure to drive!  

Fill mine till it clicks, and have ran it to - - -. (one under 0 miles) too many times for comfort.

Preferably fill up with 100 miles on the range though, just depends on work patterns.

10 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Or a lighter right foot? ;)

You can wring over 40 mpg out of the N55 if you want too.

37.1 is my all time record