Milo

E39 Touch Screen Head Units

1 hour ago, Chris28 said:

Its called Audio Advice. Their located in Northern Ireland.

Nice one, many thanks! Easily the least offensive flat fascia I've seen yet.

can i just say: don't go dynavin either,  They  look close to oem but to pricey

i have an n6 unit and stopped working recently

all i get is a white screen and some lines 

ive looked on their website and they don't come back at you

i don't know where to fix it if possible so atm  i just went back to my stock cassette deck:oops:

Previous owner of my current E39 ditched the BMW head unit in favour of a double DIN Kenwood in a nasty looking fascia. TBH I would have preferred that they had left it in, I could have just spliced in my Dension ipod dock as I had with my old 528, and I would have had my mp3s and OEM look. Oh, and been able to use the instrument panel OBC functions, which are all but useless now it seems. My initial thought was to go for one of the cheap OEM look units, but every single thread here and elsewhere in which they are discussed is filled with so many happy vs disappointed Eonon / Dynavin / Xtron / whatever owners, that it seems like a lottery which I don't want to play.

From recent investigation in the dash, previous owner of mine also seem to have butchered the wiring rather than use an adaptor, so I'd have a whale of a time trying to hook up anything which was ready to take BMW harness anyway, hence might as well go for a non-vehicle specific Double DIN unit and the least offensive fascia I can find. Still trying to get the butchered steering wheel control wiring sorted, and got the old nav DVD still hooked up in the boot, along with an Intravee / KCA, all of which are now seemingly useless too...

Hey, anyone wanna buy an Intravee setup? ;) 

In regards to the fascia that Chris has, it resembles the one for the E53 X5, if you do search on Google, you'll see the flat fascias and how they don't fit the curve of the dash.

Yes, I'm painfully aware of the E53 curve, which so many supposedly 'E39 specific' head units and fascias suffer from...

From Chris' pic, if that fascia isn't perfectly flat, the curve is still a hell of a lot less pronounced than most I've seen, and in the absence of anything better, I've contacted his supplier to enquire further.

If you could post back with any details you find, that would be perfect, I have my own 7018dab which still needs to be fitted

On 26/01/2019 at 13:10, LukeH said:

I’ve got an upgraded one in my M3 from carphonics and it’s been excellent. 

They told me the power would be increased from the puny 25w up to 45 or 50w. Is this a big improvement Luke ?

I have already changed the standard front speakers for an Infinity set up with tweeters but obviously the standard BM54 output doesn’t really push them. 

On 27/01/2019 at 14:30, Milo said:

They told me the power would be increased from the puny 25w up to 45 or 50w. Is this a big improvement Luke ?

I have already changed the standard front speakers for an Infinity set up with tweeters but obviously the standard BM54 output doesn’t really push them. 

It’s a definite improvement yes, and over a failed BM54 with one or more channels down then doubly so, and coupled with the pre outs for a sub if required then you’ve got even more options later on. 

Have you got any Bluetooth streaming capabilities at the moment? 

On 24/01/2019 at 22:08, d_a_n1979 said:

Fixed ;)

Dan - I see that you're still trolling me !  Any more trolling posts to come ?!

On 24/01/2019 at 21:10, Busterbvi said:

Milo.

Ignore any negativity from Dennis Cooper !

Busterbvi - Do keep in mind there's a lot of very unhappy purchasers from the two massive USA BMW forums, and the UK's M3cutters forum where the Eonon brand were kicked off. They're a sponsor on another US forum now and there's threads there with unhappy purchasers. Wouldn't be surprised if they're kicked off there. The various UK companies that have tried to sell these kinds of units here have all either stopped selling them or gone out of business - hardly confidence inspiring ! Maybe Audio Tech Direct will buck that trend and last longer term for UK owners?!

On 24/01/2019 at 22:17, Yokozuna said:

Now now boys....

;) 

although I wonder how his plastic surround with fake buttons is doing? Hmmmmm.....

When more installs are done and owners perhaps post up about their audio upgrades, you'll see their feedback, thoughts and pictures! :)

Cheers, Dennis!

had my xtron unit in now about 2 years still working dennis :D torq on screen displaying engine temp( but iam not paranoid  ;):o:lol:) / bt fone all good / dab radio still shit ! but thats down to reception / aerial me thinks / fm radio well good after getting power back  to the   amp  32g sd with all the music i need. focal speakers all round

ps dennis any word on the D piller pods ? or have i got to watch a y tube vid or 2 and try and make me own :)

pps apple sure is the dark side :(  me thinks

Hi 

Supertramp - Count yourself as one of the lucky ones! for every purchaser like yourself, there's many more who weren't as lucky, like Pzero mentions above. To sum up, buying one of these chinese unit's is still a gamble. The custom D pillar pods for the Touring I had made for me were one offs and to my specs/requirement. They're hand made using fibreglass so there's no technical diagrams etc and the costs are manual labour. I'll speak to the car audio fabricator I used to see if he'll make another pair and get ballpark figures of cost for you if you'd like?

For those looking at the various E39 fascia's be aware that almost all of them don't include the bracket that fixes to the dash aperture for the plastic to fit/snap into. This means extra work/fabricating some way of securely affixing the fascia to the dash area and partly the reason they're cheapies. Some pics to illustrate;

You'll see plenty of listings on ebay for E39 double DIN fasica's and the accompanying picture often looks like this

E39Connects2DoubleDINkit.jpg

When kits first began to be made for the E39 circa 2008/9 Connects2 released their kit and I purchased it for my then Alpine iXA-407BT which was their first mechless and slightly shallower double DIN unit. The kit allowed dual fitting of a single or double DIN with some inserts. Here's how that kit looked

IMGP4925.jpg

In the top right, you can see the metal frame piece and that initially fits into the dash aperture and is screwed in place using the existing holes. The fascia then 'snaps' into place and it's held very securely. 

All the cheapy fascia's on ebay etc are missing that metal (sometimes plastic) frame. There's some which do have a frame but they're more expensive and some which don't need the frame piece as their design means the existing mounting holes are used and the head unit is held in place with the inner panels and again, they're more expensive and seem to be the 'tilt' versions so not with a 'flat' front as it were.

I did have listings on the audio section here for some of the solutions above, but over time items were discontinued etc. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Update for anyone interested, regarding my hunt for the ideal - or at least satisfactory - fascia for a flush fitting head unit i.e not tilted above the airbox. Longish read, but might save someone else some trawling if like me they are looking to fit a shallow body mechless head unit. A lot of this is commonly known to those who've wanted to replace a stock BMW head unit in the past, but for those who are looking into it for the first time, thought I'd collate my findings and save you some leg work. I'm not an authority on this matter, just rounding up my own notes in one place, so anyone spending money on any of these, don't blame me if I'm wrong ;)

Before getting to Chris' fascia, another option which we've probably all seen knock offs of with that characteristic groove in line with the surrounding dash and trim, is the Janus.

janus.jpg.fea3be982113f9b1c060acb2220f3f33.jpg

I could probably live with that groove, but it from clip receptacles, it looks like this fascia requires the specific support frame to be installed in the dash first, which is this beast. 

janusframe.jpg.8800e96f1cd48edef97df342b7e81a04.jpg

Intended for full depth double din units, it's designed for you to cut the top of the airbox, and the rear section of this frame with supplied insulating foam blanks off the section you cut out. Certainly looks sturdy, ensures that the weight stress of your head unit isn't supported by the plastic fascia, and I imagine that for a mechless unit you could ditch the rear airbox section... but the total cost at todays exchange rate for fascia and support frame is £143, not including shipping from Deutschland. The site hasn't been updated for a long time, and from sniffing around other forums, a few people have emailed enquiries to Janus with no response in recent times so the website may be abandoned. Paying £143+ to an online shop for a product which may or may not still exist is not a chance I want to take, so I'm ruling that one out for now personally.

Regarding Chris28's Kenny 7018 install earlier in this thread, Chris' supplier Audio Advice have ironically not provided any advice, as they haven't replied to my sales enquiry email which I sent a week ago. So the below are my own findings, links for all items referred to at the end of the post.

Chris fascia panel looks to be either a Connects2 CT24BM09 (intended for an X5) :

ct24bm09.jpg.a0f82bee534f3a192e70520c15c5099c.jpg

or the only knock off of it I've been able to find, the French made 'Entourage' available on ebay :

entourage.thumb.jpg.93ee2f42d5829c827efdc5baaaaefa6e.jpg

...which although is listed for an E39 is seemingly identical to Connect2's X5 fascia right down to clip placement so, any references I make to fitting in this post will apply for both of these. X5 / E39 install compatibility is hardly surprising, as we've all seen 'E39' stereos which were clearly intended for X5s due to the curve. Slight curve, not as pronounced as many I've seen and in an E39, not very noticeable at all. The surprise here is that - in my opinion - this X5 fascia looks terrible in an X5, check this image of it installed in an X5 from Connects2 install document... Eww.

x5install.jpg.620b0a8def9ed8390fddcd5d56dcb361.jpg

Neither comes with a support frame for the fascia to clip onto, just the fascia panel itself which has clips on the back and the mounting brackets to attach the head unit to the fascia panel. From the install instructions Connects2 provide for their version, when installed in an X5 as it was intended to be, it appears that the clips on the back of the fascia line up with the original BMW factory fit head unit support / aperture and simply hook straight on to that, no fitting of additional support frame required. Lucky X5 owners.

This raises the question of how the fascia which Chris had installed is attached to his E39. Either :
A - The clips line up perfectly with an E39 factory fit support frame as well 
B - They've removed the factory fit frame and installed a different support frame to line up with the Connects2 fascia. 

C - It's another identical fascia which I've not been able to find which comes supplied with a frame.

If option A then great, happy days (for those of you replacing factory fit BMW unit at least). If B, then what support frame have they used? It doesn't come supplied with one, and I can't find any frame available seperatly anywhere (assuming that you rule out the Janus frame which you can buy without the Janus fascia, but appears made specifically for the Janus fascia mounting clips so unlikely). If C, then Audio Advice are the only ones who can answer that, and so far, they haven't.

Connects2 do a fascia for 'straight' installed head units i.e. fitted so that the lower back edge is raised to clear the airbox, leaving the head unit level to the ground with the top front edge sticking out of the angled dash profile, named CT24BM08.

bm08.jpg.ca53dfca7bb378fb5ed648f53592f581.jpg

This does come with a plastic support frame to replace the factory fit frame, which the fascia clips onto. Previous owner of my current E39 ditched the factory fit frame and had this installed to hold the Kenwood DDX4018 currently installed (and that I really want to get rid of, that protruding top edge really annoys me and the unit itself doesn't do what I would like). Whether any of the other Connects2 fascias would clip onto this plastic frame is unknown, I've submitted a query to their technical support but yet to hear anything back. Given the style of clip used on the back of this fascia, I'd be very surprised if the flat fascia intended to clip onto the X5 dash would be compatible. 

Connects2 also do a flat fascia with what looks like a metal support frame, the CT23BM09 but this only comes in wood finish so no good for me. This believed to be metal support frame may fit the flat X5 fascia, but is unconfirmed.

I'm not discounting the Innovadrive NXG-39 produced by Dennis, as it's a great looking unit, almost ideal in fact. But - and sorry for saying this Dennis! - I'm having difficulty convincing myself to drop over half the price of the head unit I have in mind on a plastic fitting for it, handsome as it may be - Especially as my desire to lose the protruding top front of the HU has already driven me into higher price territory for mechless units with other benefits which I doubt I need, just to avoid modifying the airbox. The NXG-39 solves a lot of problems, the additional lighted buttons compliment the OEM look and avoid blank empty space, the explanation of how the price was arrived at is valid, as are the comparisons to other cheaper and bland looking options and higher prices of other solutions for other vehicles... but we all know that ageing E39's can be quite attention demanding, and £240 can buy the parts for me to fix more than a few mechanical niggles on mine. This is with the greatest of respect for Dennis and his product, and I tip my hat to him for making this impressive solution, but as much as I would like one, I fear that the NXG-39 is a little too rich for my blood right now. 

The above are just my findings, there may be (and probably is) stuff that I've not chanced upon in my quest, but the above certainly appears to be the most readily available options. Anyone who has found anything else suitable - or MacGuyver'd up their own solution -  please share the knowledge, as off the shelf third party mounting solutions for a car which ceased production 15 years ago are becoming a bit of a dying breed. And if anyone can address any of the suppositions or suspicions I've had to make about some of these, please do correct me!

Links :

http://www.janus-design.net/english/e39doubledin/index.php - Janus fascia, appears was highly sought after at time of release in the late 2000's
http://www.janus-design.net/english/e39doubledin/e39doubledinkit/index.php - Janus support frame designed for airbox cutting.

http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CT24BM09 - Double DIN fascia intended for X5, no support frame supplied as appears not needed for X5. Unknown if fits E39 factory fit frame.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Frame-Contour-Entourage-DOUBLE-DIN-BMW-e39-series-5-X5-2DIN-/113318824309 - Entourage, appears straight copy of the Connects2 X5 fascia, no frame.

http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CT23BM09 - Flush fitting fascia, comes with mounting frame (presumably metal), but wood finish only, black version no longer in production. Appears to be the only surviving part of the modular Connects2 kit Dennis posted a pic of above, which used to come with clip on pieces to make it single DIN or an angled shroud to accommodate the protruding top edge of 'straight mounted' as opposed to 'tilted' head units. Many knock offs available in black on ebay, but all that I've found are fascia only, no support frame.

http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CT24BM08 - Fascia with plastic frame for full depth double DIN head units, to accommodate the protruding top front edge of the head unit hence not flush with the profile of the E39 dash.

NXG-39 -

Edited by Pzero

Hi Pzero,

Fantastic post there ! thanks for making the roundup of what's available currently. My suggestion to you would be to make a specific post in the Audio section and to copy this content there so it's more visible when searching and can be added to if/when updates happen. 

Cheers, Dennis!

They are undoubtedly good quality but visually very unappealing. The cheap chinese stuff looks much better in situ in my opinion but is tricky to lock securely in place

be careful with claims that unit is compatible with e39 and x5.

it is a lie.

if x5 then e39 wont fit properly.

some bottom edges stick out.

mine sticks out a bit

there is a bar inside that prevents from fitting

and x5 has different curve

Edited by gine39530d

No lies here, friend. Again, I point out that my post is simply a round up of my own research online regarding fascia options. I am not an authority, I have never had access to an X5, and this is all based on other forum posts, owners images, and manufacturers documentation. I also encourage / invite others to provide their own info, fill in any gaps in my findings, and correct any wrong assumptions which I may have made. There is no intention to mislead anyone. 

My post is entirely about fascias, and by X5 / E39 'install compatiblity' I mean that the specific fascia in question can be installed / is physically possible to fit in either, not that all X5 fascias are a perfect match appearance wise for E39 appearance wise. The cross bar inside the aperture and other alterations required to fit a double DIN unit would have to be addressed for the head unit install. I'm not offering any advice about the HU install, my post is just listing the range of fascias which I've found. For the record, the X5 has the same bar to deal with as well anyway, according to Connect2s guide to installing in an X5, which advises on how to cut it out.

From what I've seen (further reinforced by your picture, thanks for that, it's genuinely helpful - May I ask which head unit that is?), it appears that the width and height of the X5 and E39 apertures are the same so a fascia intended for the X5 would physically fit in the hole. How well it lines up with the profile of the dash is obviously fascia design specific. Anyone buying a fascia will primarily be interested in how it looks, and I would have thought that the X5 curve vs the E39 flat front would be quite apparent to anyone looking at them. Anyone who's looked into buying one of the many android head units marketed for the E39 which clearly have the X5 curved front has no doubt noticed this - It wont look pretty because it wasn't designed specifically for an E39, but it must physically fit or every single one sold would be returned as unusable? 

But my post is not about head units, and the comment you have pointed out was used with regards to one specific fascia, which does not have the curve, which the manufacturer shows in an X5 dash (despite how terribly out of place that flat panel looks in an X5 dash in my opinion!), and which appears to be visually identical in every respect to the flat fascia which Chris28 has in his E39. In the absence of any other even near visual matches, I personally can only assume that this is the same fascia. 

Thanks for the pics, Osealy. From looking online, photos show that your head unit isn't full depth at the bottom, the top half is, but the bottom half isn't. The rear bottom edge isn't going far enough back to hit the airbox, which is why you had no agro (other than cutting out the cross bar). 

I wish more manufacturers made head units like that. Even if the HU absolutely must have a CD/DVD drive, I can't see much need for the entire unit to be as deep as the drive needs at the very top.

On 02/02/2019 at 20:07, DennisCooper said:

The custom D pillar pods for the Touring I had made for me were one offs and to my specs/requirement. They're hand made using fibreglass so there's no technical diagrams etc and the costs are manual labour. I'll speak to the car audio fabricator I used to see if he'll make another pair and get ballpark figures of cost for you if you'd like?

ok thanks dennis it would be nice to have a figure

pitty bmw did not think of that when designing the 39

or maybe thay did but it would freak out the dog in the back:rolleyes:

and yep i know i have been lucky with the xtron  SOFAR :-)