Ram Rod

Goodbye and thank you

Very interesting read, especially as it involves a car I never knew existed!

I hope you enjoy your new steed. I wouldn't have stayed BMW either at over €700 a month!

Hi Guys,

Well I have been using the Talisman a lot, but I still have the 518d until the 4th May. 

Although with the Beemer you feel you are driving a battleship, I do admire its quality. But maybe I am getting old, the seats caused my legs to ache and the ride quality should be much better without resorting to the extra cost of adaptive suspension.

Although on paper the Talisman's 1.6 bi turbo set up is more powerful, thr BMW's 8 speed box makes better use of the power and launches off faster than the Renault. 

Over the three years I have owner the BMW I have kept a strict record of fuel consumption. Every tankful is record. Overallybthe 518 avwraged a hard 44 mpg. Mainly long distance motoring and fast cruising. For its size the BMW was exceptionally fuel efficient. Only my 2004 Ford Mondeo MK3 Ghia 2.0 130bhp TDCi was better.

The Talisman however is at best averaging 38 mpg. So much for efficiency! I may get it remapped, but the gains are not great - 20bjp and 40 nm of torque. Much better gains on the petrol varieties! Especially the new 1.8 which is in the Meganne rs. 225 bhp as standard, but easily remapped to 285bhp!! 

However I have found this Talisman Initiale Paris in Amiens with the previous 1.6 motor found in the Clio rs. Massive discount on this car if you fancy driving something different.

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

Edited by Ram Rod

I gave the Talisman a good hack the other night on familiar roads, and it is just insane how it attacks tight bends. Like a hot hatch. No loss of grip, I could have gone faster.

Edited by Ram Rod

On 22/04/2019 at 07:42, Loadmaster said:

Are these sold in the UK?

Nope.

There is no market in the U.K. for large family salons/estates anymore that aren't German.  Even the Ford Mondeo is getting the chop. We all want SUVs in the U.K.

Because it's so cheap to lease a car, private buyers buy German. Why buy something with the Blue oval or from France which suffer horrific depreciation when you can rent a 520d?

The last episode of the Grand Tour summed this up perfectly.

or

image.jpg

Us Brits are fickle when it comes to cars, we (didn't) don't buy British made cars as they were rubbish and the workforce spent most of their time stood round a brazer on a picket line. The Fench are achingly patriotic when it comes to French made cars and the French market is massive for local made stuff.

So last Tuesday I arrived at the BMW dealership in Arras with the 5 for the independent assessor to look over the car. I can't believe how quickly three years have gone by. The anticipation and excitement of getting a factory ordered 5 series is still with me.

All went well, especially as the assessor guy said I had covered less than the 80,000 kms in my contract. I had to give my wife a very stern look, as she nearly spilt the beans that the assessor had mistaken miles for kilometers!

Anyway as a goodwill gesture I was let off the two lightly grazed alloys and the front spolier which had a smallish abrasion. Inside and out the car looked as good as new, still smelt new, but the dealership were selling other secondhand 5 series with less mileage as mine, for much less than the €27,750 demanded of me to keep my pseudo Police interceptor (on British roads!)

So I was sad to see it go. I had given the car two extra oil changes during my ownership and it was due another service right now. Apart from the EGR and cooler problem, the car hadn't missed a beat. I would have kept it if BMW France were willing to negotiate, but they were not interested. That is the French for you. It is in their DNA.

The fuel economy over the three years averaged a hard 42 mpg, ranging from tankfuls at 37 mpg up to 48 mpg. I never did crack a tankful at 50 mpg, even driving like the Pope. Driving mainly autoroute high speed journeys 95% of the time, I did appreciate the sereness of the car and its composure. The suspension was fine whilst cruising, but too harsh around town or cross country. Why BMW can't design better suspension like I had in the S Max before it, I will never know. The Ford's ride and handling for a seven seater was nothing short of brilliant. To have to fork out for the extra cost and complexity of Adaptive Suspension in what is already an expensive car, seems to be poor marketing by BMW and mean spirited.  A car costing this much should have adaptive suspension as standard.

The Talisman is a completely different kettle of shoes. More comfortable and it handles like a Meganne RS with seemingly unlimited grip on those big 245/40 19 tyres. Very quiet cruiser with better directional stability at speed than the 518d, and fuel economy has risen with 4,000 kms on the clock to average over 42 mpg on my usual journeys. The only problem is the small fuel tank compromised by the rear wheel steering to just 47 litres. If you had a petrol engined version, you might need a fuel trailer. However I will be on the lookout for a cheap pre-registered 1.8 225 bhp (Meganne rs engine, can be remapped to 285 bhp) Talisman in a years time, as at motorway speeds the petrols would be OK.

I will keep in touch on this forum as there is a lot of useful information here. Cheers for now.

ps. If you get overtaken by a Talisman, you will know who it is!

Edited by Ram Rod

Thanks RR, this has been an interesting and well written account of your new Renault. 

All the best.