SplitBusVanatic

HIGH OBC STUFF WANTED.

Hi all. My car is a 2002 525d 

low obc manual car with normal single cd radio. No BC button etc. 

I’d like to convert everything to high obc. 

What would make make my life easier in this project ? 

Is anyone breaking a high high obc car. 

•Diesel High OBC Cluster (have it)

•Mid

•NLA Retrofit loom

•GM ?

•LCM ? 

Cheers guys.. 

On 19/01/2019 at 14:06, e34m525i said:

I’ve got a set of cut off plugs from the cluster that may help you make a loom for the retrofit 

Just today managed to get hold of a set of these cut off looms.  Gonna try to make a loom. Thanks. 

Sorry, Bit late to the party. How are you getting on with the high OBC? Are you aware of the extent of the high OBC wiring and coding? The plug's you have does help. You'll have to make a harness to the gong. You'll have to separate the I-bus from the K-bus block, Coolant level sensor harness needs to be made up too.

Speaking from experience. You don't need to replace the LCM or GM. The retrofit loom is no longer available from the dealer. The used cluster will have the wrong info to your car, so the manipulation dot will be illuminated. For everything to function properly, your ZCS codes will need to be changed. Now, as your cars an 02 525d, I assume your car didn't have an MID from factory? If not then you'll need the MID plug. 

12 hours ago, Skinned Knuckles said:

Sorry, Bit late to the party. How are you getting on with the high OBC? Are you aware of the extent of the high OBC wiring and coding? The plug's you have does help. You'll have to make a harness to the gong. You'll have to separate the I-bus from the K-bus block, Coolant level sensor harness needs to be made up too.

Speaking from experience. You don't need to replace the LCM or GM. The retrofit loom is no longer available from the dealer. The used cluster will have the wrong info to your car, so the manipulation dot will be illuminated. For everything to function properly, your ZCS codes will need to be changed. Now, as your cars an 02 525d, I assume your car didn't have an MID from factory? If not then you'll need the MID plug. 

are you sure you actually need the mid though? as even on the genuine retofit guide theres no mention of the mid needed, just shows you need the loom, coolant level sensor and clocks for it to work

even if you do need amid, without one you will probably lose some data, like when fitting aftermarket headunits into high obc cars, it loses most of the info anyhow

4 hours ago, richyx said:

are you sure you actually need the mid though? as even on the genuine retofit guide theres no mention of the mid needed, just shows you need the loom, coolant level sensor and clocks for it to work

even if you do need amid, without one you will probably lose some data, like when fitting aftermarket headunits into high obc cars, it loses most of the info anyhow

That’s correct yea. The MID just allows you to adjust various OBC functions. You don’t have to have an MID display.

My car didn’t have mid. But strangely the plug just fits. And everything works after fitting a cheap missing pixels eBay mid. (€10). Well happy. Except that I have a serious power drain with clocks plugged in. I indeed did code theclocks with ZCS expert and 

Hmm. Strange. They're so many different radio options for the e39 and most sound crap! But aftermarket one's ruin the dash!

Early e39's had the two piece stereo with either IRIS or MID. Later car's like my 2001 525d had the one piece stereo, unless they came from factory with CD player at the front, high OBC. I know I had to retrofit the MID plug to get the Professional CD to work in my car with the basic system. My 97 528 has the navigation with DSP that I think sounds great, despite other forum members opinions.

That's strange. battery drain with the high OBC! There's no reason why it should do that! Did you have to make your own cluster harness?

Come to think of it. The low OBC has a single green/blue wire from fuse 18 on the passenger fuse block. That goes to pin 26 in the Black plug.

For the high OBC. Fuse 18 goes to  pin 17 in the 18 pin black plug. with the high OBC there should be another one that goes into pin 16 in the 18 pin white plug. these two can be spliced into each other. hopefully that might help with your power drain.

On 22/04/2019 at 15:27, Skinned Knuckles said:

Hmm. Strange. They're so many different radio options for the e39 and most sound crap! But aftermarket one's ruin the dash!

Early e39's had the two piece stereo with either IRIS or MID. Later car's like my 2001 525d had the one piece stereo, unless they came from factory with CD player at the front, high OBC. I know I had to retrofit the MID plug to get the Professional CD to work in my car with the basic system. My 97 528 has the navigation with DSP that I think sounds great, despite other forum members opinions.

That's strange. battery drain with the high OBC! There's no reason why it should do that! Did you have to make your own cluster harness?

Come to think of it. The low OBC has a single green/blue wire from fuse 18 on the passenger fuse block. That goes to pin 26 in the Black plug.

For the high OBC. Fuse 18 goes to  pin 17 in the 18 pin black plug. with the high OBC there should be another one that goes into pin 16 in the 18 pin white plug. these two can be spliced into each other. hopefully that might help with your power drain.

my car is a 2003 sport, but no high obc or mid from factory

sat nav was ooptional extra omn these cars, same with the mid

i want high obc due to thats what im used too, i dont car about functions as ill be using after market stereo anyhow, as long as it gives me range, and alerts me with faults ill be happy

but no idea on looms lol

I’ve got a set of cut plugs if needed people use them to do the wiring, but I’m not sure as to how this is done personally, be a good diy for someone to write up as the retrofit kit is nla 

9 hours ago, richyx said:

my car is a 2003 sport, but no high obc or mid from factory

sat nav was ooptional extra omn these cars, same with the mid

i want high obc due to thats what im used too, i dont car about functions as ill be using after market stereo anyhow, as long as it gives me range, and alerts me with faults ill be happy

but no idea on looms lol

Yours will most likely have the one piece stereo then. Navigation is another story. All the stereo modules are in the boot so the wiring is totally different.

High OBC requires a different loom as it has 3 plugs as opposed to the low clusters 2. You can’t buy the retrofit harness anymore so one would have to be made. On top of that, it’s one of the hardiest things to retrofit on an E39, unless your lucky getting the right cluster with an M35080 chip and very good in the software department.

1 hour ago, e34m525i said:

I’ve got a set of cut plugs if needed people use them to do the wiring, but I’m not sure as to how this is done personally, be a good diy for someone to write up as the retrofit kit is nla 

I’d bought a retrofit harness for my 2001 525d Touring. Like I said, you can’t buy it anymore. The cut plugs are a way forward. Something I’ll do in the near future. For the cut plugs to work, You’ll have to do some modifications as the pins in the low cluster plugs don’t fit the high cluster plugs. However way you tackle this depends on how brave you are. I’d say if you don’t fancy chopping into the original harness, getting male pins, colour matching the wires is an easy way of doing it. 

Note. Depending on model year of your cars. You’ll need the correct cluster plugs. The switchover point is I believe 9/98. So older plugs may work on newer cars. But newer plugs won’t work on older cars. Best get the ones that match your cars switchover point. Most the gauges information is sent via the CAN bus system on newer cars. Older cars have individual wires for various functions that you’ll have to wire in, if you have the plugs cut from a later car.

Here's a photo of the schematic from the EBA retrofit guide that came with the NLA Loom.

4 new wires, #1 is for coolant sensor and #2 from gong to cluster. I have the full guide, PM me your email if you want it.

For the cluster I would not recommend Boyd or "pixels fixed" as his company is called, there is someone in the USA on Facebook called "Fixels" he said it would be $150 for a new chip to reset the mileage to avoid tamper dot and with zcs and vin set.

I've retrofitted from standard minidisc to widescreen hifi pro speakers, tweeters, amps etc and need to do this so I can set date / time / trip computer etc and have the extra messages on the dash.

20190424_133508.jpg

Pm on its way to you Conway. 

Yes i I re-pinned my eBay high obc connectors with my existing low obc wiring. Due to the impossibility of finding a retrofit loom.  The power drain is likely a switched live connected to continuous live or something like that. Couple of German guys were helping me out over FB etc. I have a separate thread in e39 section somewhere. My eBay mid is bad in the pixel dept. but it was only ever a cheap stop gap until I got a eonon or xtrons unit to fill the gap along with the ibus app modification. 

My radio was originally a two piece. Radio and single cd. And the high obc from eBay plugged straight in. And everything worked, that is, After BMW scanner coding. Tamper dot was gone. Obviously mileage couldn’t be changed in the newer e39 with the chip. Then I went about zcs expert and coded the high obc cluster (eBay) from being an auto diesel x5 e53 to suit my manual diesel e39. The Speedo was way off and I had no reverse lights until this was done. 

Im kinda happy. But a bit disappointed in having to find the battery drain. Maybe it’s because I detest wiring. I’ve no patience  for it.