duncan-uk

1st Generation Apple Lightning to Digital AV HDMI Adapters

Am I correct that a

1st Generation Apple Lightning to Digital AV HDMI Adapter will allow me to connect an iPad or iPhone to an hdmi tv thus allowing me to watch things like amazon/ Netflix/ YouTube on said tv?

are there any issues with subscription services like Netflix?

reason I ask is my father in law only watches DVDs but not tv. He has broad band so this seems away to keep us amused when we stay. 

Thanks

Thanks Dan so anything live is a problem (virgin TV go - plays live TV etc) but netflix/ prime/ iplayer/ you tube and similar ok?

On 16/01/2019 at 11:57, duncan-uk said:

Thanks Dan so anything live is a problem (virgin TV go - plays live TV etc) but netflix/ prime/ iplayer/ you tube and similar ok?

@duncan-uk

Netflix, BT Sport and iPlayer should let you stream/cast to a smart TV without the need for the adapter. 

The adapter typically doesn't allow for video to be streamed, just the screen duplication for presentation purposes. 

Id get a chromecast/fire tv stick and use that to stream. 

6 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Its not a smart TV, not looking for the ultimate solution just away of watching some catch up or amusing the kids when away.

Yep, then id suggest a Chomecast/fireTV stick/apple tv. You'll either be able to stream from your phone, or login to the app directly on the stick and watch on your TV. 

works with any TV with a HDMI port. Have a look around HotUKDeals for offers on any of the items. 

So a chromecast plugs into hdmi and links to iPad via wifi?

Is this just a simple interface like the apple lead of does one need accounts, subscriptions blah blah blah

Just want simple way to play iPad stuff on a bigger screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

So a chromecast plugs into hdmi and links to iPad via wifi?

Is this just a simple interface like the apple lead of does one need accounts, subscriptions blah blah blah

Just want simple way to play iPad stuff on a bigger screen.

Yes, chomecast would plug into hdmi port and connect to home wifi in the same as your phone does. 

You do need subscriptions but you only set that up once and you're done. Every time you turn it on, its logged in and ready for you to use. You don't need to stream from your phone, it works standalone. 

I don't think the apple lead will allow you to watch Netflix/iPlayer on your TV, it will mirror the screen on your phone to the TV for most applications but not those that show videos. 

Essentially then the iPad is redundant in that scenario? Assume you jus use the cast for Netflix and the like.

2 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Essentially then the iPad is redundant in that scenario? Assume you jus use the cast for Netflix and the like.

Exactly. 

The chomecast is essentialy like the iPad in this scenario. It stores the app and login info and uses the tv as a screen.

far simpler and room for expansion once you get a hang of it, and want to add apps to it, then you can and use it to its full potential.