J4M35

Wiper Rack

Yes, the old wiper rack issue...

Has anybody repaired the rack using this kit? Any hints and tips? Mine's a '96 525i with the normal spindles.

i'd like to see how they fix the issue.  I replaced my old M5 one and nothing would of repaired it ! 

I haven't inspected or removed mine yet but I have done some reading on the 'net, I still don't really understand what parts wear and why or what my mode of failure is...

The wipers seem sloppy and noisy and I have had to take a big notch out of the driver's side arm to stop it eating into the bonnet

mumbojumbo, isn't the one on your breaker going to be just as knackered as mine?

3 hours ago, J4M35 said:

I haven't inspected or removed mine yet but I have done some reading on the 'net, I still don't really understand what parts wear and why or what my mode of failure is...

The wipers seem sloppy and noisy and I have had to take a big notch out of the driver's side arm to stop it eating into the bonnet

mumbojumbo, isn't the one on your breaker going to be just as knackered as mine?

Couldn't say, but i can take a look at the arms and see whether they're damaged too. I have the bonnet and it's not been damaged by the arm....

TBH while £30 is tempting it's a lot of disassembly work to get there so unless your car has very low mileage I think refurbing mine will work best?

What year and spec are you breaking out of interest?

the bonnets dont wear out the middle wiper arms do as they're ali.   They're all knackered on any e34 thats been used in a wet climate

As a test I stuck some sticky black felt to the part of the arm that catches the bonnet.

It worked as it wasn’t metal hitting metal anymore however once it got wet it slid off the next day.

my plan is to use some proper glue and a thin bit of black rubber. Hopefully be a cheap fix for a noisy problem. 

Kit

Edited by Kit

I think I just removed the wiper arm and just moved it one notch so it doesn't catch the bonnet any more. Not the correct way to do it but as a temporary measure it seems to work ok.

Don't get why they made them so ridiculously over complicated! I think I read somewhere that there is a proper procedure to adjust them but seemed like a bit of p.i.t.a to me!

I do wonder if years of the bonnet being dropped too heavily flattens out the curvature and combined with the spindle bush wearing out, brings it into contact where it never would have originally. It would explain why this issue seems to affect some cars more than others.

For comparisons sake I thought I'd put a straight edge across the bonnet and measure to the top surface of the edge of the bonnet, getting the measuring surface as flat against the panel at the outer ends: 

202246031_Bonnetcurvaturemeasurement.thumb.jpg.2e111f4ff5613479835842be5820f1ef.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pic, it's hard to hold the tape measure and focus my phone at the same time! 

Measured like this, and viewed at the correct angle it came to exactly 85mm. What that means is unclear until others measure their bonnet and we can come to some sort of corrolation between bonnet curvature, and likelihood of wiper arm contact. That stick on felt you can see is stopping the bonnet from ruining my freshly repainted wiper arm.

I should point out that there is some play in the wiper spindle, and that I do intend to fix that with some remade bushes and possibly modified to lower the wiper arm a couple of mm.

But I am curious to see if anyone else's bonnet measures the same? 

I highly doubt it's anything to do with the bonnet. For whatever reason, the wiper rack loses its position over the years and sags, hence the reason why the OS wiper arm comes into contact with the bonnet.

If you shake the wiper arm and feel there's play in it, then that explains everything and bonnet position has nothing to do with it. There should be no up/down play at all in a healthy rack.

Seem to recall a conversation with a retired BM service manager. He said the problem of wiper/ bonnet conflict was not a new one  In the day the way  to fix it was by  putting a piece of 4x2  on the scuttle and bending the bonnet slightly over the wood. Problem solved! 

The super fast wiper action kills the racks  ... TBL our 540 had the wiper rack replaced under warranty at around 88k 2001.

But the Orient Express 525 has 167k and the wiper rack on that is still very good .... The Gold Nugget  271.300 is rather poor  ( but will get changed)

Edited by Carl-e34

On 07/03/2019 at 14:43, simufly said:

Seem to recall a conversation with a retired BM service manager. He said the problem of wiper/ bonnet conflict was not a new one  In the day the way  to fix it was by  putting a piece of 4x2  on the scuttle and bending the bonnet slightly over the wood. Problem solved! 

Yeah I figured as much. The wear in my wiper spindle isn''t that bad, about 3mm of play at the point of contact, and that's back AND forth, so that would mean that before there was play the clearance between arm and bonnet would have been 1.5mm, which is ridiculous. 

I'm gonna tweak the bonnet, I may be back for panel beating and painting advice.........

fixed mine with about £5 of bronze bushes, no need for a £40 kit, don't forget the adjustment on the motor bracket, that will tilt the whole mechanism down away from the bonnet, also make sure the rubber washers on the spindles are good as the spindles will pull up too far when you tighten the nuts if they are compressed.